Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Getting 5 90 to 21kgs on monday and 250 for ewes

What weight are they paying the ewes up to.?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

sea12 wrote: »
    What weight are they paying the ewes up to.?

Didnt ask, 40kg i presume

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Same price here

Didnt ask, 40kg i presume

Just curious. Have 3 massive fat ewes and just wondering to mart them or run them into factory next time neighbour is going up.

Weights on ewes is pure ****e. She the factories use every bit of it for mince etc. It's not being sold as display packs family size in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just curious. Have 3 massive fat ewes and just wondering to mart them or run them into factory next time neighbour is going up.

Got € 95 for a very heavy ageing ram in mart 2 weeks ago. Reckon if he didn't k.o at 40kg then nothing would. Hadn't time to go to factory but reckon would have got €9 extra in factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Weights on ewes is pure ****e. She the factories use every bit of it for mince etc. It's not being sold as display packs family size in retail.
    Yea they get a lot of free meat on them big ewes, dont get much from ours though as theyre smallish sheep that we have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We sold our biggest ewe on Sunday last, 53kgs DW and got paid to 42.5kg DW hundred and nine euros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Store lambs seem to be doing well according to the IFJ. Might be better off selling a few of my heaviest lambs now as I could do with the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Got € 95 for a very heavy ageing ram in mart 2 weeks ago. Reckon if he didn't k.o at 40kg then nothing would. Hadn't time to go to factory but reckon would have got €9 extra in factory.

Maybe not Green...

I killed an old ram before and I think I got a lower price, than the old ewe price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Maybe not Green...

I killed an old ram before and I think I got a lower price, than the old ewe price...

Yea, they could be up to 50c/kg cheaper at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea, they could be up to 50c/kg cheaper at times

Didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Any update on prices for this week? Had the mart ringing me this morning looking for lambs. Great prices they said but wont last. I don't normally sell in June but might make up a pen....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

arctictree wrote: »
    Any update on prices for this week? Had the mart ringing me this morning looking for lambs. Great prices they said but wont last. I don't normally sell in June but might make up a pen....

Paper yday said it's dropped 30c in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have 3 or 4 three or four year old nice firm Suffolk and Cheviot x ewes that would have lost lambs in Spring....was going to keep them and possibly sell them in September,they are virtually fat with the good grass year....would they make more now in mart to kill or sell as breeders in September?,genuine sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

They're young enough ewes,they'd kill well but I'd take the chance on them at a breeding sale

IH784man wrote: »
    They're young enough ewes,they'd kill well but I'd take the chance on them at a breeding sale

Anyone seeing 3 or 4 ewes would think there is something wrong with them and you wouldn't get the value for them

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

570 today - going to drop to 550 tomorrow

Anyone seeing 3 or 4 ewes would think there is something wrong with them and you wouldn't get the value for them

Would be selling them with other ewes that reared lambs...so price would not be affected......would ewes like that make say €130 approx for breeding in September ?..... they are good quality sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Would be selling them with other ewes that reared lambs...so price would not be affected......would ewes like that make say €130 approx for breeding in September ?..... they are good quality sheep.
    Why would anybody pay €130 in September for breeding ewes when good hoggets and 2nd and 3rd lambers could be picked up this year scanned in lamb at point off lambing for €130-€160 depending on what there carrying? Just my opinion.

Lambman wrote: »
    Why would anybody pay €130 in September for breeding ewes when good hoggets and 2nd and 3rd lambers could be picked up this year scanned in lamb at point off lambing for €130-€160 depending on what there carrying? Just my opinion.
    Take your point...to be fair I was only asking would they be worth that?

Was not in the sales in February or March so didn't see quality of sheep being sold at that time.
    So if these ewes of mine ( 60kg) approx were sold for killing this week what roughly would they make?.....and what would you estimate they would make in September for breeding?,tight wooled,well put together,fancy ewes?

• Advertisement

Would they not be alot more than 60kg having no lambs? By the sounds off it you think alot off them so I'd be tempted till keep them if they lost the lambs thru no fault of there own.... wasn't in the Mart in months myself and time a years that it is there a big variable weekly.

Would they not be alot more than 60kg having no lambs? By the sounds off it you think alot off them so I'd be tempted till keep them if they lost the lambs thru no fault of there own.... wasn't in the Mart in months myself and time a years that it is there a big variable weekly.

+1
    I wouldn't sell them either, if they lost their lambs due to toxo abortion they'll be immune for the rest of their life, It'll cost very little to keep them till mating and there will be replacement ewes needed then anyway

TBH I'm only guesstimating their weight,could be far more,my point is would they make over €100 to kill at mo?

+1
    I wouldn't sell them either, if they lost their lambs due to toxo abortion they'll be immune for the rest of their life, It'll cost very little to keep them till mating and there will be replacement ewes needed then anyway

But as Lambman said if they would only be worth less than €130 in September there might not be a lot into keeping them till then.
    What are fat ewes like trade wise at the moment ?

Genuine ewes that lambs died on,no toxo or anything like that,but have hoggetts coming on so that's why I'm selling them at all.

But as Lambman said if they would only be worth less than €130 in September there might not be a lot into keeping them till then.
    What are fat ewes like trade wise at the moment ?

Genuine ewes that lambs died on,no toxo or anything like that,but have hoggetts coming on so that's why I'm selling them at all.

Are you getting 130, didn't think hoggets were worth that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

are still paying a 5 euro for hoggets up to 23 kg?

sold a few sheep in mart today. A full mouth vendden ram @102. 3 handy sized ewes @€;97 and 45 kg lambs @ €115.

Seen fat ewes bring up to €120 and 119 for tops of lambs.

Ring factory get a quote per kg and till a top weight and work it out.... think someone mentioned top weight off 40kg so I'd imagine suffolk x cheviot ewes with no lambs will kill out at that and more... if your for selling them then I'd factory them now instead off waiting till September till sell as breeders. The ass will soon fall outta the fat ewe trade when March lambing flock start weaning lambs off and selling troublesome and old ewes from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Willfarman wrote: »

sold a few sheep in mart today. A full mouth vendden ram @102. 3 handy sized ewes @€;97 and 45 kg lambs @ €115.

I didn't realise the price was still that good for hog... I have a few that were lame, and I injected... am sorry I did now, as could have factoried them, but have to wait for withdrawal period now :(

Are you getting 130, didn't think hoggets were worth that

No I was only asking would they make €130?.....are fat 3 and 4 year old ewes.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »

Roughly what kinda weight were the ewes at €120...must have being good strong sheep?

Advertisement