Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

When's the next big Muslim festival ? Are they quietly building up supplies for it ?

Nearly sure it is next month,see a few adds one donedeal looking for ram lambs within certain weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

IH784man wrote: »
    Nearly sure it is next month,see a few adds one donedeal looking for ram lambs within certain weight

Hadn't seen any ad on done deal. When was it up and which county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

A dealer ere looking for lambs last week 30-35kg paying €55 + weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Where are lambs meant to be going to with the proposed live ram market?

Kepak Athleague quoting 4:90 for next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Lambs down a lot this week. To be fair, we were lucky to get over the 5.20 mark for this long. I think we were around 4.60 this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Lambs down a lot this week. To be fair, we were lucky to get over the 5.20 mark for this long. I think we were around 4.60 this time last year

The start wasn't as good this year & of supply was stronger it would of been pulled sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The start wasn't as good this year & of supply was stronger it would of been pulled sooner

price was kept down by importing hoggets from the north

when this supply dried up lambs prices took off along with the demand for ramadan

ramadan is a week earlier next year, might be worth keeping in mind

Was there not a better supply this year since there was a lot of hoggets being killed back in January-February?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ormond is right, the factories were flooded with imported lamb at start of year. the minute they dried up things started improving. After that Ramadan buyers caught the factories in the hop and put upward pressure on the factories. You'd need a crystal ball to tell what's going to happen later in the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Had one lamb weighing 54 kg (weighed him on the morning of going to the factory) he killed out at 27kg , was sick he got so big they got 6kg of free carcase off me. Other lambs weighing between 46 to 50kg killed out between 21.7kg and 24.5kg Needless to say I drafted a load more lambs off to the factory this week at lighter weights which killed out at 20.4kg . How is everyone finding their lambs killing out?

farming93 wrote: »
    Had one lamb weighing 54 kg (weighed him on the morning of going to the factory) he killed out at 27kg , was sick he got so big they got 6kg of free carcase off me. Other lambs weighing between 46 to 50kg killed out between 21.7kg and 24.5kg Needless to say I drafted a load more lambs off to the factory this week at lighter weights which killed out at 20.4kg . How is everyone finding their lambs killing out?

Overall Lambs are killing out fairly well. last load of lambs I sold ranged from 43- 48 kg and killed out at 19.8 to 23.6 kg. Lightest I ever had was this year and he was 16kg. I only started weighing lambs after that since he looked a lot heavier than he was. I also had a lamb about 2 years ago that was very heavy but I wasn't going to bother going to the factory with the one lamb so I sold him when I had enough lambs for a full load. He killed out at around 30kg. The reason he was so heavy is that his mother is a pet and she used to walk into the yard whenever she would be in a field beside the yard looking for meal and I would always give her a bit.

He must have been a savage of a lamb! I hadnt got rid of many lambs last year due to poor thrive etc.. this year its a different story with the weather and a reseed being key.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20170803223937

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Hi all !! First time poster longtime reader !!
    Any prices for this week

Was in mart here Saturday lighter lambs from 30-35 kg €2 a kg and €9 over was the run off it no difference in ewe or ram lambs.... seen 45kg lambs going €106.50 was no butcher type lambs in wen I was there was only in for a half hour.

jt65 wrote: »
    €6/kg + bonus for wed morn , waiting for another guy to ring back

Are you sure? I was getting 5 last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Are you sure? I was getting 5 last week

I wish, That post was from last May

rangler1 wrote: »
    I wish, That post was from last May

May 2014 even...... don't know how I went back that far :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

May 2014 even...... don't know how I went back that far :D

Was in Kilkenny yesterday and thought lambs were back a bit. Most being sold 88-94. Only really good heavy lots sold over the €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

sea12 wrote: »
    Was in Kilkenny yesterday and thought lambs were back a bit. Most being sold 88-94. Only really good heavy lots sold over the €100

Kilkenny sheep mart has a bit of a cartel with the fat sheep buyers the last couple of years. Along with enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

sea12 wrote:

That's strange I heard they were a good trade there on Monday. Most marts have cartels. Can't stand bringing sheep to them anymore. Such a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

adam14 wrote: »
    That's strange I heard they were a good trade there on Monday. Most marts have cartels. Can't stand bringing sheep to them anymore. Such a waste of time.

Well just my view.4 buyers taking it in turns from what I could see. All in the ring or I the weigh bridge area. Like what you'd see in a cattle mart.

Any prices for this week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anyone sell or hear a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

sea12 wrote: »
    Well just my view.4 buyers taking it in turns from what I could see. All in the ring or I the weigh bridge area. Like what you'd see in a cattle mart.

This is as opposed to the meat factories that ruthlessly compete with each other.

It happens everywhere. Reality is that there really is only a handful of buyers for finished lambs most of the time buying for the factory.

At least in the mart if you're not happy you can bring the lambs home. In the factory unless you really like lamb you've to take what you get even if it's not fully what you expect.

Any cull prices ?

Prices were poor today in the mart lambs struggled to make 2 euro a kilo. I brought some factory fit lambs but took them home with me , I bought a few good long speckled suffolk hoggets for 150 which I thought was a bargain for their quality.

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote: »
    Prices were poor today in the mart lambs struggled to make 2 euro a kilo. I brought some factory fit lambs but took them home with me , I bought a few good long speckled suffolk hoggets for 150 which I thought was a bargain for their quality.
    Poor money... lambs up here making €8- €10 over €2 kg last saturday...

Advertisement