Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

DJ98 wrote: »
    Is it true that lambs can lose upto 2kgs if housed the night before going to mart or factory?

Yes. Liveweight. Provided they have access to water carcass weight loss would be little or nothing.

The sterling strengthened well today. I think the job is on the up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Willfarman wrote: »
    Yes. Liveweight. Provided they have access to water carcass weight loss would be little or nothing.

The sterling strengthened well today. I think the job is on the up.

We weighed lambs one evening and again the next morning after being in overnight , They lost between one and four kgs, it just shows the amount of gutfill in them and how hard it is to get an accurate weight when they are full.....we usually starve them for four hours now before weighing....
    We also put them in overnight before going to the factory....most times we're loading before daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

rangler1 wrote: »

, They lost between one and four kgs, it just shows the amount of gutfill in them .....we usually starve them for four hours now before weighing....
    We also put them in overnight before going to the factory....most times we're loading before daylight

Sort of put a dampers on thinking your rid of them once 43kg upwards.
    I Hate trying to load them in dark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Only weigh in morning here before 10 as later in evening gives a false reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Lambman wrote: »
    Only weigh in morning here before 10 as later in evening gives a false reading

did that with lambs that went today, killed out nearly 46%. weighed them saturday morning

• Advertisement

Yea it's the only only way for accuracy I buy a few lambs this time a year and pay by kg over a locka lambs it soon adds up on the price if u weigh them when there full of grass... when buying I weigh early in morning and dose them keep them in yard for a day with nothing and out till grass again when the ****e is all outta them... only buy off lads I know aren't feeding the lambs aswell so I know it's a true weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Anyone any quotes for the coming week? Are most factorys gone to 22kg carcase weights now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anyone any quotes for the coming week? Are most factorys gone to 22kg carcase weights now?

Got 4.70 for some last week to 21.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20170924220133
    we've killed 10% more lambs and 15% more ewes than last year

ganmo wrote: »
    IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20170924220133
    we've killed 10% more lambs and 15% more ewes than last year
    Why so many ewes? Would 20% not be near the top end off replacements each year and u say 15% more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Willfarman wrote: »
    Got 4.70 for some last week to 21.5.

Sent a few to Kildare and got same price and weight

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Why so many ewes? Would 20% not be near the top end off replacements each year and u say 15% more?

As a country im assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭kk.man

As a country im assuming

Yea UK sheep probably included in these figures. Bord Bia want us to quality assure they should do the same with their figures !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

kk.man wrote: »
    Yea UK sheep probably included in these figures. Bord Bia want us to quality assure they should do the same with their figures !

Ni increased ewe kill by 15% too combined with the roi's that's 45,000 more ewes killed this year.

U.K. Killed 30000 less so there's 15000 of a change between the islands

ganmo wrote: »
    Ni increased ewe kill by 15% too combined with the roi's that's 45,000 more ewes killed this year.

U.K. Killed 30000 less so there's 15000 of a change between the islands

But how many UK sheep were killed in ROI plants this year? Are they included in the figures above? I suspect they are thus Bord Bia has serious satisitical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Have some booked in for the morning at 4.70 all in, first of the meal fed lambs to go here so be interesting to see is there any rise in ko%

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Have some booked in for the morning at 4.70 all in, first of the meal fed lambs to go here so be interesting to see is there any rise in ko%

I'm getting the same for tomorrow

Anyone know what the mart trade for ewe lambs is like ? Any premium over the ram lambs ?

Anyone know what the mart trade for ewe lambs is like ? Any premium over the ram lambs ?

For breeding. Yes. Otherwise very little

A ordinary 40kg ewe lamb was making 90e plus. A stand out ewe lambs of the same weight could go to 120e. Madness in the South East!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

kk.man wrote: »
    A ordinary 40kg ewe lamb was making 90e plus. A stand out ewe lambs of the same weight could go to 120e. Madness in the South East!

Everyone with lambs without balls think their ewe lambs are worth 120. Handy enough pick them up in the mart for €90. Lads on done deal don't really know the prices and just hear of real quality lambs getting 120 and expect their lambs to be automatic the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sea12 wrote: »
    Everyone with lambs without balls think their ewe lambs are worth 120. Handy enough pick them up in the mart for €90. Lads on done deal don't really know the prices and just hear of real quality lambs getting 120 and expect their lambs to be automatic the same

I have belclare x ewe lambs here , 45 - 50 kgs. bred from my top ewes for years back , from 4* 5* ram

I wouldn't waste diesel showing them in a mart .. would struggle to make 110,

but if fellows are happy to buy from unknown background with the risk of bringing scab etc, then best of luck to them

I tried it for years but would never again,

orm0nd wrote: »
    I have belclare x ewe lambs here , 45 - 50 kgs. bred from my top ewes for years back , from 4* 5* ram

I wouldn't waste diesel showing them in a mart .. would struggle to make 110,

but if fellows are happy to buy from unknown background with the risk of bringing scab etc, then best of luck to them

I tried it for years but would never again,

Tbh i have never seen a lleyn ewe on a commercial farm. Have passed a pedigree place near baliinasloe once but only time i have ever seen them in the flesh apart from shows.
    Have seen belclares on one farm farm,t keadys but i have never seen lleyn or belclare lambs in a mart,

Anyone that breeds them would keep them for themselves and would only sell the less desirables iykwim

When i read the english forums and all their breeds , it males me realise my "uncultured" ubringing of texels,suffolks and charollais

Bought 32 nice Suffolk x ewe lambs in different lots over different days but average weight 46kg and never paid more than €2 a kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Bought 32 nice Suffolk x ewe lambs in different lots over different days but average weight 46kg and never paid more than €2 a kg

Soft sellers, why do they do it, at 46 kg it wouldn't take long to get them to €100 in the factory

Got 116 For suffolk cross ewe lambs today. A smal bit lighter than 50 kg

rangler1 wrote: »

Soft sellers, why do they do it, at 46 kg it wouldn't take long to get them to €100 in the factory
    Yea I'm delighted with the price I paid for them this year as u say they wudn take long till be factory ready... so I imagine there was fatteners bidding on me aswell as men buying for replacements... I think the fall in price off hoggets this last fortnight is having an effect on the price of ewe lambs

Yea I'm delighted with the price I paid for them this year as u say they wudn take long till be factory ready... so I imagine there was fatteners bidding on me aswell as men buying for replacements... I think the fall in price off hoggets this last fortnight is having an effect on the price of ewe lambs

I agree with the soft seller semitent however that's gross 8e to take them to 100e. Take commission etc and meal to finish. It's not worth the hassle for a finisher.

But if bought for ewe hoggets or replacements they are a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have a few heavy fed Cheviot ram lambs around 50kg to factory.
    How would they kill out % wise and roughly speaking what would I get for them going on current quotes?
    On krunch and good grass for last 6 weeks.

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement

Have a few heavy fed Cheviot ram lambs around 50kg to factory.
    How would they kill out % wise and roughly speaking what would I get for them going on current quotes?
    On krunch and good grass for last 6 weeks.

Thanks for any replies.

Must be knocking on the door at around €100 a head k.o at 22kg ?

Advertisement