Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Must be knocking on the door at around €100 a head k.o at 22kg ?

Got €102 less €3 deductions for 46.3kgs today, not having great luck this year, after all the hassle with last weeks dirty lamb episode I had a lamb smothered in the lorry today, I had three marked for the freezer and he was the heaviest, the others killed 24kg and 23.2......murphys law definitely has a home here lately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

rangler1 wrote: »
    Got €102 less €3 deductions for 46.3kgs today, not having great luck this year, after all the hassle with last weeks dirty lamb episode I had a lamb smothered in the lorry today, I had three marked for the freezer and he was the heaviest, the others killed 24kg and 23.2......murphys law definitely has a home here lately

Were they packed tight. Would he be insured. Would be in hauliers name so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Were they packed tight. Would he be insured. Would be in hauliers name so to speak?

I'll be paid for the lamb alright, I said to the haulier they were tight but he said there was room at the front which there was, obviously not enough.
    Between himself and his father they draw 25000 sheep for the group so they treat us fair

4.60 for r's 4.70 for u's . average 103e

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

4.60 for r's 4.70 for u's . average 103e

What weight were you getting paid up to, to average 103 at them prices??

• Advertisement

What weight were you getting paid up to, to average 103 at them prices??

22kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

22kg

Were all of them over weight ?

razor8 wrote: »
    Were all of them over weight ?

All except one:). Was trying to go with the last fortnight but auld lad wouldnt bidge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

All except one . Was trying to go with the last fortnight but auld lad wouldnt bidge

Lining the pockets of Larry so with free meat. Lamb prices won't be going up for a good while now.

adam14 wrote: »
    Lining the pockets of Larry so with free meat. Lamb prices won't be going up for a good while now.

No ,whoever owns dawn . is it molloy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No ,whoever owns dawn . is it molloy?

Quelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any quotes lads ? Quoted €4.75 here

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Any quotes lads ? Quoted €4.75 here

Got the same on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

4:85 in Kildare got towards middle/end of the week.More on 4;75 4;80 there and in other factories. ICM were on 4:75 early in the week.No quotes for next week yet but would assume 480/485 should be the run of for next week.
    Seen lambs sold at 4;70 this week by farmer within 10 miles of factory whilst someone 60 miles away (drew them for neighbour and saw killsheet)got 4;80 same day.
    Seems to be a gradual if slower and later than usual increase(like last year)
    Kepak seem to be lagging behind a bit(usually the position of ICM !!) with Kildare making the running at the moment.
    Seems 22 kgs is the heaviest anyone seems to be talking about getting at the moment but maybe some are getting a bit more.Hopefully we might see it upped to 22.5/23 shortly.
    Ewes anything from 2;40 to 2;60 to 40 kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Finger on the pulse paddy. Thanks. Have a good few to move next week.

Good man paddy. Mealing lambs here at present. Some have really good cover. Anybody manage to squeeze an extra few cent out of a factory for E or U grade lambs in addition to the q.a money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

I've a few lambs ready. What prices are you been quoted this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Does anyone know what dates the factory’s increase weight limits to 22.5 & 23kgs?

Any prices for Monday ?

4.80 to 22

• Advertisement

Offered 4:70 and 4:85 for Friday by two different factories(QA inc.).Wont have quote till Saturday evening/Sunday for Monday.
    15 cent a kg equates to 3:30 a lamb or 150/160 on a trailer load.Serious difference.

Hoping for 4:90 at least or may wait till midweek.

I'd never do that. A dead lamb sobers the mind....

Willfarman wrote: »
    I'd never do that. A dead lamb sobers the mind....
    Do what,put off selling for a few days?

Not really an issue as these lambs are not overweight.On ad-lib but should kill 22 on average or so.Pretty even bunch picked out as would be going at least once a week here esp with the ram lambs.Always get one or two that either disappoint(20 kgs dead) or surprise and disappoint all at once(24.5 kg dead;great kill out for live weight but should have gone a lot sooner!!).

Few days wont kill if a wee rise in price although balance between meal eaten and factory price can be tricky plus no one really wants very heavy carcasses.The days of big rises(if not drops)seems to have finished.Its a painful creep of five cents a time nowadays.
    Often wonder how some let lambs get so heavy as often looked at other pens in the lairage and think mine are light and small and then 2 days later returns come and they kill full weight.Bit pointless killing 55kg lambs in factory and then complaining about weight limits.
    Regards the dead lamb bit;well full time sober here so if that's the case !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

A little bit irrelevant but am just wondering do factories (owned by larry goodman) close for a time after christmas or would this effect the supply of meat in ireland and abroad?

DJ98 wrote: »
    A little bit irrelevant but am just wondering do factories (owned by larry goodman) close for a time after christmas or would this effect the supply of meat in ireland and abroad?
    They do close but in many cases have built up supplies before resumption of kill. They have filled the orders of all their suppliers before Christmas and New year so there will be no lag. The only time there is a lag is when sheep or cattle are scare which will not be the case this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

kk.man wrote: »
    They do close but in many cases have built up supplies before resumption of kill. They have filled the orders of all their suppliers before Christmas and New year so there will be no lag. The only time there is a lag is when sheep or cattle are scare which will not be the case this year.

Do they close for long?

The lag is now I think. I am fearful for the new year.

DJ98 wrote: »

Do they close for long?
    Could be up to a week. I wouldn't worry about them if they run short they buy extra off the smaller independents at practically the cost of production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I've heard there finding orders hard to fill due to poor kill out and overuse of bringing sheep fron the north....talks of 5.40 mid to late January

Have no idea of veracity of this though....could be managers trying to talk it up,so as to get lads to keep feeding??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Any idea on what is the state of play in the UK lamb trade at present? Is it likely that our plundering processors will be buying hoggets from there after Christmas to depress the price here once again?

Advertisement