Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

razor8 wrote: »
    Got them killed this morning, €10 more and worked out @46% ave kill out. Happy out

It paid to take them home alright. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

anyone know who pays in tuam when mitchell is buying by weight? mitchell who used to buy for tlt? would it be him or the mart? paying good money, 62e with weight tomorrow. dont know if they have to be a certain type or not though

Mart pays, 42kg up to 52 kg, must have electronic tags and most important they must be booked in. 59 with weight next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

how much for 44kg lambs next week ie deadweight I will do calculation thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

red bull wrote: »
    Mart pays, 42kg up to 52 kg, must have electronic tags and most important they must be booked in. 59 with weight next week

What that fella giving this week red bull?

55 and booked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

The quote I got for Camolin today was €4.60 + €0.10 for Quality Assured. Didn't have an to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Has anyone sent lambs to kepak athleage via hacketstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

€4.70 for to morrow morn, I declined, think we might squeeze a bit more later in week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Overall,
    Where would you feel you'd squeeze better money , mart or factory ? I usually sell into the Mart. Have never sold into factory. Mainly because I'm a good distance from the nearest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Overall,
    Where would you feel you'd squeeze better money , mart or factory ? I usually sell into the Mart. Have never sold into factory. Mainly because I'm a good distance from the nearest one.

Our local Mart closed down a few months ago. A big loss for me. The nearest factory is over 40 miles away. I think ill sell lambs in the factory and use done deal for buying/selling any other stock.

• Advertisement

Overall,

only sell to factory (230 miles round journey )

agent says not many lambs being booked .. he's usually on the ball.

Im only growing numbers so haven't crossed paths with any agents yet , other then the ones i see buying in marts .
    I'd be around same distance from factory. I'd be about 1 hr drive from nearest decent mart

I brought Lambs to Camolin yesterday got €4.75 all in, which was an increase on the quote last week. Echoing what JT65 said there seemed to be very few lambs in it to me, no queue at all when dropping them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

sako 85 wrote: »
    I brought Lambs to Camolin yesterday got €4.75 all in, which was an increase on the quote last week. Echoing what JT65 said there seemed to be very few lambs in it to me, no queue at all when dropping them off.

Same was there Sunday night only 20 lambs in front of me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

sako 85 wrote: »

Very good, is that a flat price and does it include QA bonus?

That included €0.10 QA bonus.

Cran wrote: »
    Same was there Sunday night only 20 lambs in front of me....

Do you know what times they are open at the weekend? Thanks

still on €4.70 but paying to 21.5 kg.. decision time !

What type of money is being made in mart ?

100+ in Tuam for finished lambs yesterday, great demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

Lambs dropped in Sunday made 97.40 happy enough, some Lleyn cross mule weather lambs on it only killed out about 43% so brought back price a little but still happy they made 88/89 euros. Few ewes made 90 euros not bad straight off the lambs.

Got cheque for lambs dropped off on Monday night. Averaged 94. Couple of light lambs to fill up the trailer brought price down. Couple over the 21kg so need to keep drafting them a bit earlier now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

sea12 wrote: »
    Got cheque for lambs dropped off on Monday night. Averaged 94. Couple of light lambs to fill up the trailer brought price down. Couple over the 21kg so need to keep drafting them a bit earlier now.

Its always a battle tho isnt it - hold on til all are over 21, which means some will be well over. Or accept that some will be under...

I always seem to accept that some will be under when sending em off, and then somehow annoyed when I get the cheque, even tho I knew it would happen :rolleyes: :D

You got any off lately john ? I'm hoping to get the first batch off next week. ( April born ) I usually wait until their about 45kg, as might entice the butchers to bid at the mart as well as the factories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

You got any off lately john ? I'm hoping to get the first batch off next week. ( April born ) I usually wait until their about 45kg, as might entice the butchers to bid at the mart as well as the factories

No - and maybe I should have.

l went through em last week, and whilst there was a few fit, I didn't have enough for a load (I need to get somone to bring em, so it means I have to have a good few to spread the cost of the haulier)

I'm going to leave em for another 2 weeks anyways (on holidays next week :) ) Leave a good batch build up. I might keep the very heavy ewe lambs, rather than give free meat to the factory.

But I accept that I will be giving some free meat to the factories...

Edit : My lambs were mid March - start April lambs, and were doing very well til a few weeks ago. It all went downhill due to poor grass management, but mostly due to a bad dose of orf. :(

No - and maybe I should have.

Edit : My lambs were mid March - start April lambs, and were doing very well til a few weeks ago. It all went downhill due to poor grass management, but mostly due to a bad dose of orf. :(

John found the same with my own lambs. Went on hols a couple of weeks ago and grass management went out of control. Lambs suffered. Have them weaned and on good after grass now so hopefully will get back on track.

got paid to day for a mixed bunch i sent off last friday came to €93.86

had lambs I bought in last april and some had poor ko compared to my own

they were mainly suffolk and beltex, however I now have their mothers at a very reasonable price for breeding,

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

had 45 lambs weighing 47 kilos in tullow today. got 97 euro each. were not suitable for a factory as there were lambs well over 50 kilosin the batch

500 lambs Tuam mart Tues eve. Galway race week , most of them sold, prices later

• Advertisement

jt65 wrote: »
    got paid to day for a mixed bunch i sent off last friday came to €93.86

had lambs I bought in last april and some had poor ko compared to my own

they were mainly suffolk and beltex, however I now have their mothers at a very reasonable price for breeding,

Bought some in lamb 2 and 3 y.o. ewes in February scanned with twins. All the lambs survived and will nearly cover the cost of the ewes.

Advertisement