Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭kk.man

kk.man wrote: »
    They do close but in many cases have built up supplies before resumption of kill. They have filled the orders of all their suppliers before Christmas and New year so there will be no lag. The only time there is a lag is when sheep or cattle are scare which will not be the case this year.

I've heard there finding orders hard to fill due to poor kill out and overuse of bringing sheep fron the north....talks of 5.40 mid to late January

Have no idea of veracity of this though....could be managers trying to talk it up,so as to get lads to keep feeding??
    Time to buy a few stores so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Time to buy a few stores so !

There up e15 a head in a fortnight :eek:

Will be in cahir wednessay if I don't pick up few tomorrow,I've a half span still to fill.....otherwise il be selling off the excess bales if I can't get value :D:D

But this frost might put a dampener on things??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

There up e15 a head in a fortnight :eek:

Will be in cahir wednessay if I don't pick up few tomorrow,I've a half span still to fill.....otherwise il be selling off the excess bales if I can't get value :D:D

But this frost might put a dampener on things??

Do you buy stores and fatten them in the shed rather than feeding outdoors? Is it profitable?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Do you buy stores and fatten them in the shed rather than feeding outdoors? Is it profitable?

On a relatively small scale (know lads who do 500+ like this)....let them out to finish off paddocks (have wet enough farm so dont want over stock it) etc and then when start feeding silage and straw and meal (adlib or twice a day!) to finish em over 6 weeks or so

As il want them out and gone for March 1st next year to make room for lambers

Bought lambs for e40 into the yard one year (might been 2014?)and make average e110 at factory....you'd be suprised some lambs with any bit of cross breeding soon come into good weights
    (Havnt replicated that since :O)

Only into It this year as I culled hard enough last 2 years and want to graze out paddocks properly aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Finishing lambs here at moment, got
    a batch off today. Tail end of my own stock. Finishing them outside on paddocks and eating 1.2 kg day of meal. In my head, as long as price stays up, the extra weight put up on meal , will take up to 50% of what factory pays you, for extra weight put on. If price goes up, lads could do well. However if they act the same as last year, then lads will be working for nothing. Plenty of lads haven't bought nothing this year. Their still paying off mills for last years messing. Maybe that's why the price is better this year and sheep scarce ? Factories reaping what they sowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 odnoklassniki

Offered 5:90 on Thursday

Offered 5:90 on Thursday

Where?

Finishing lambs here at moment, got
    a batch off today. Tail end of my own stock. Finishing them outside on paddocks and eating 1.2 kg day of meal. In my head, as long as price stays up, the extra weight put up on meal , will take up to 50% of what factory pays you, for extra weight put on. If price goes up, lads could do well. However if they act the same as last year, then lads will be working for nothing. Plenty of lads haven't bought nothing this year. Their still paying off mills for last years messing. Maybe that's why the price is better this year and sheep scarce ? Factories reaping what they sowed.
    Did you say1.2kgs of meal..is that a bit much?..the most I fed was 0.6kgs now I maybe wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Where?

Maybe down the labour court as an hourly wage rather than as a lamb price.

Did you say1.2kgs of meal..is that a bit much?..the most I fed was 0.6kgs now I maybe wrong?

They'd eat it if fed adlib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Disclaimer..... I'm not experienced in finishing lambs, only do it to get my own lambs gone.

Tried getting lambs off the place last year by feeding .5kg a day. Took me months. As if it only kept them ticking over as opposed to thriving. Cost me loads as was very drawn out. So this year gave them the week or two introduction, slow built up, them fed them 1.2kg a day over a few weeks. They thrived well and got rid of a load of them yesterday. Lads say they go well for 6 weeks on meal then stall. P.s was ram lambs I've been finishing, haven't turned attention to ewe lambs yet, that tend not to eat as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

Could be up to a week. I wouldn't worry about them if they run short they buy extra off the smaller independents at practically the cost of production.

Does slaney meats close, heard someone say recently that they don't close except for Christmas eve and day and Stephens day?

Does slaney meats close, heard someone say recently that they don't close except for Christmas eve and day and Stephens day?

They could be processing meat but it's unlikely they'll be killing.

Could be up to a week. I wouldn't worry about them if they run short they buy extra off the smaller independents at practically the cost of production.

I honestly don't know their holiday arrangements. But you could phone them and they would tell you.
    Why the fascination with the Christmas kill?
    Those on here saying factories going to be under pressure for lambs...I made a few calls myself and those well place don't share your sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

It's nonsense that they will be short on lambs. Sure they'll just go over to Carlise and bring them in by the truck load like last year.

Anyone getting the magical 5e being talked about this week?

Anyone getting the magical 5e being talked about this week?

No 4.90 only for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

5 euro to 22.5 kgs freely going in both Kildare and ICM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

5 euro to 22.5 kgs freely going in both Kildare and ICM today.

Are groups in Icm on 22.5kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

razor8 wrote: »
    Are groups in Icm on 22.5kg?
    Dont know about group weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

22 the last lot we sent in about 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

moyvalley were looking for lambs last sunday 4:90 they were on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

didnt give any deceided to hold out goin weigh them at weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Carnew was a lot better today for heavy lambs. Good wethers 57kg 118€

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Got phone call offering 4.90 all in, for later in the week didnt give an answer yet have maybe 40 fit. Hold out for 5? or is it as easy to be got this week?

Got phone call offering 4.90 all in, for later in the week didnt give an answer yet have maybe 40 fit. Hold out for 5? or is it as easy to be got this week?
    I got that quoted last week..told them I'll wait till at least 5 on the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

5 is being got to 22.5 however I am fearful it won't last. Sell sell sell.

Willfarman wrote: »
    5 is being got to 22.5 however I am fearful it won't last. Sell sell sell.

I'd sell. There is no expectation of much of a rise. 10c won't make much difference especially if feeding them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

adam14 wrote: »
    I'd sell. There is no expectation of much of a rise. 10c won't make much difference especially if feeding them
    Still 2 euro

• Advertisement

IH784man wrote: »
    Still 2 euro

And how much does it cost to feed them a day

Advertisement