Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I was offered €4.95 to 22kg last week. I asked could they do €5 to 22.5kg and the answer was, No. so the sheep are still sitting there. I risk loose a few quid out of it, but sometimes you've to make a stand, out of principal , if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

I was offered €4.95 to 22kg last week. I asked could they do €5 to 22.5kg and the answer was, No. so the sheep are still sitting there. I risk loose a few quid out of it, but sometimes you've to make a stand, out of principal , if nothing else.

For how many lambs

Duke92 wrote: »
    For how many lambs

Have 14 lambs ready and a few culls. Just after securing € 5.05 to 23kg from a small local processor, so big factory looses out after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Have 14 lambs ready and a few culls. Just after securing € 5.05 to 23kg from a small local processor, so big factory looses out after all.

Ye was wondering that was a miserable offer even for a small few lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Extra €110 euro for your patience over the 14 lambs

• Advertisement

What was irritating me, was the €5 and weights were widely available last week in the factory and I just wanted fairness, to receive the same deal as everyone else. Anyway their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone getting €5/kg yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone getting €5/kg yet?

5.02 and 5.05 to 22.5

Booked mine in to icm camolin €4.90/kg plus 10c quality assurance. Last of this years ram lambs hopefully they will average out at €100 a piece. Was extremely happy with lamb thrive this year compared to last year, all lambs killed off grass alone , they killed out well and prices were a lot better than last year. My lambs are averaging 45 kg so im going to assume they'd kill out at 45per cent so that works out at a little over 20kg carcase weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Are they handling ok? Ram lambs die very bad if not fleshed.

• Advertisement

No they wouldn't be handling ideal probably 2.5 fat score but I may let them on as I have no space left to keep them really and won't get to the mart with them due to work. It'll be a learning experience If nothing else as there isn't that many to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

farming93 wrote: »
    No they wouldn't be handling ideal probably 2.5 fat score but I may let them on as I have no space left to keep them really and won't get to the mart with them due to work. It'll be a learning experience If nothing else as there isn't that many to go.
    Depends on breed off ram lambs but you'll be doing extremely well till have them killing out at 45% off grass this time off year especially when u rate them at 2.5 fat score and say there only averaging 45kg live.....

They could dour as low as 40%. I'd take 43 as the run of lambs like that. 95€ would be my bid!

I weighed a couple of ewe lambs afterwards, they weighed fifty kilogram these were on a reseed and are conditioned well. It'll be interesting to see the difference in k/o

Willfarman wrote: »
    They could dour as low as 40%. I'd take 43 as the run of lambs like that. 95€ would be my bid!

Unfortunately at this time of the year Id have to agree with Will, seen plenty of lads including myself with lambs like that, bring em to factory and think we've been diddled on the weight. Unless fat across the back 45kg lambs can often struggle to make 19kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i find that even lambs weighed at 50 kg that are thin can be only kill out 18.5

Lambs killed out at 20.7 kg but the two ewe lambs I brought that weighed heavier probably brought up that weight. I will check the docket during the week to see exactly what each one killed out at. Happy enough though as they averaged the 100 a piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Heard lads getting quoted 4.85 today....can't be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

They're in dire need of lambs so. Same stunt is used by beef factories.....drop the price when the supply is slowing hoping that farmers will run to them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

have lambs gone today and were loaded at 8am this morning and wernt killed 1/2 hour ago so must be lots of lambs coming in

• Advertisement

I'm afraid your a bit off the mark tomwaterford. The feeder men are starting to draft lambs that the feeders went in with 4 weeks ago. Between that and being able to bolster supplies from the U.K. They are well supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

ICM was fairly empty on monday

Independent is reporting that factories have tried to pull prices, but its come to "nought"

adam14 wrote: »
    ICM was fairly empty on monday

Didnt seem very full Wednesday either.

But where else are we going to go with them! We are just mice being toyed with by a big cat..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just after getting todays results emailed 19 lambs av 43 kg, (ewe lambs lambs) €107.31 less €3 deductions and 46 ewes €93
    10 lambs left, this years lambs made €5 lamb more than last year, that plus the tenner per ewe is a nice bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

heard lads with big numbers getting €5.20 earlier this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

MD1983 wrote: »
    heard lads with big numbers getting €5.20 earlier this week
    Think that was an example of paper never refusing ink but maybe?
    As far as I know 5 euro was about the going rate for the last couple of weeks with some talking of getting a wee bit more at the weekend but nobody actually produced a docket with it.Thats farmer flat prices not producer group prices.
    Talk was that factories were trying to talk up numbers and talk down prices around last Friday/Monday but that died a death it seems.
    Neither ICM nor Kildare lairages over full this week when I visitated.

102 lambs left here as of Tuesday,34 ram lambs,60 ewe lambs destined for factory and 8 sooners in a paddock all alone and refusing to die!.
    Lambs killing very well here but not surprising considering what meal they were/are consuming.
    Average price slightly ahead of last year I should imagine but only barely.Last ones averaged 111.10 after deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

I would believe it. Went to factory today I got 4.90 tried my best for 4.95 but I knew by yet man there was no budge. I asked guy who is the drover about supply. He said there is no shortage. A neighbour told me this morning the same factory imported a lorry load from NI on Monday. The UK prices are lagging behind ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Think that was an example of paper never refusing ink but maybe?
    As far as I know 5 euro was about the going rate for the last couple of weeks with some talking of getting a wee bit more at the weekend but nobody actually produced a docket with it.Thats farmer flat prices not producer group prices.
    Talk was that factories were trying to talk up numbers and talk down prices around last Friday/Monday but that died a death it seems.
    Neither ICM nor Kildare lairages over full this week when I visitated.

102 lambs left here as of Tuesday,34 ram lambs,60 ewe lambs destined for factory and 8 sooners in a paddock all alone and refusing to die!.
    Lambs killing very well here but not surprising considering what meal they were/are consuming.
    Average price slightly ahead of last year I should imagine but only barely.Last ones averaged 111.10 after deductions.

Group prices are good if they're inspec but get hammered for everything else.
    Our lambs killed out 50% after being killing out at 46% all year so good few overfats and over weight this time
    Correction.... price was 107 after deductions

Advertisement