Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

wrangler wrote: »
    Group prices are good if they're inspec but get hammered for everything else.
    Our lambs killed out 50% after being killing out at 46% all year so good few overfats and over weight this time
    Correction.... price was 107 after deductions
    Whats the spec and does it vary factory to factory or group to group.
    Not the actual prices but what spec do the lambs need to hit and what bonus/deductions from base price would an U R O or fat 1 to 5 be or weight minimum or maximum ?
    How is the base set ?Is it the factory quoted price ie at present according to papers factories quoting say 4.85 early this week when the actual price is 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Whats the spec and does it vary factory to factory or group to group.
    Not the actual prices but what spec do the lambs need to hit and what bonus/deductions from base price would an U R O or fat 1 to 5 be or weight minimum or maximum ?
    How is the base set ?Is it the factory quoted price ie at present according to papers factories quoting say 4.85 early this week when the actual price is 5.

R and U 3 is ''inspec',' after that you get penalised, this year we have, 100% R or better, 92% fatscore 3 and 86% within the weight. We 'd always be trying to hit max weight.
    The base price is based on journal quotes, and I think most of the groups are the same , so it's in their interest to keep the quotes on the journal down.
    My av price today was 5.09 even though 4 out of the 19 were over weight and over fat and only made 4.65.......I was weighing every week but gave a dose a fortnight ago and had to wait a fortnight for withdrawal.
    I think minimum weight is 17kg and the max is the same as everyone else, 22.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Think that was an example of paper never refusing ink but maybe?
    As far as I know 5 euro was about the going rate for the last couple of weeks with some talking of getting a wee bit more at the weekend but nobody actually produced a docket with it.Thats farmer flat prices not producer group prices.
    Talk was that factories were trying to talk up numbers and talk down prices around last Friday/Monday but that died a death it seems.
    Neither ICM nor Kildare lairages over full this week when I visitated.

102 lambs left here as of Tuesday,34 ram lambs,60 ewe lambs destined for factory and 8 sooners in a paddock all alone and refusing to die!.
    Lambs killing very well here but not surprising considering what meal they were/are consuming.
    Average price slightly ahead of last year I should imagine but only barely.Last ones averaged 111.10 after deductions.

not that hard to believe that a guy with 400 lambs gets a better price than a guy with 14 though, and in fairness guys with small numbers for 5.05 this week, 15 cents extra is not that much

MD1983 wrote: »
    not that hard to believe that a guy with 400 lambs gets a better price than a guy with 14 though, and in fairness guys with small numbers for 5.05 this week, 15 cents extra is not that much

That's a big advantage of he group, the farmer with 5 got the same deal as 50.
    ICM had a full days kill yesterday with some even left over to today

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

ICM had a full days kill yesterday with some even left over to today

Yeah seems to be no problem with supply, had lambs booked into factory for yesterday morning 45 my own and 14 for a neighbor, phone rang wed evening to leave my own till monday morning, drew the neighbors for him and place was full of lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

R and U 3 is ''inspec',' after that you get penalised, this year we have, 100% R or better, 92% fatscore 3 and 86% within the weight. We 'd always be trying to hit max weight.
    The base price is based on journal quotes, and I think most of the groups are the same , so it's in their interest to keep the quotes on the journal down.
    My av price today was 5.09 even though 4 out of the 19 were over weight and over fat and only made 4.65.......I was weighing every week but gave a dose a fortnight ago and had to wait a fortnight for withdrawal.
    I think minimum weight is 17kg and the max is the same as everyone else, 22.5.

For inspec our group uses top 3 prices in independent as base. 10c top up for R & 15c for U. 10c QA on top again. My ave was 5.02 yesterday so your group must be more??

razor8 wrote: »
    For inspec our group uses top 3 prices in independent as base. 10c top up for R & 15c for U. 10c QA on top again. My ave was 5.02 yesterday so your group must be more??

yea it is but I doubt if you'd only get 4.65 for an overweight U4,

yea it is but I doubt if you'd only get 4.65 for an overweight U4,
    on overweight u4 would be base price of 4.81 this week

on overweight u4 would be base price of 4.81 this week

Thats my point, there's not a lot of difference in the groups,
    No group should allow ICMs quote into the calculation for base price, journal shouldn't even be quoting them They're so far out

Totally agree. The price is totally manipulated. How are other factories doing it?

What’s the answer to the situation?

• Advertisement

Thats my point, there's not a lot of difference in the groups,
    No group should allow ICMs quote into the calculation for base price, journal shouldn't even be quoting them They're so far out

If producer groups had no affiliation with a particular factory could they offer lambs to all factories on a online platform and the highest bid get them
    Would shift some of the power back to the farmers??

If producer groups had no affiliation with a particular factory could they offer lambs to all factories on a online platform and the highest bid get them
    Would shift some of the power back to the farmers??

Probably wouldn't work with an existing group, I doubt if a factory would move in on another factories group. I'm not inferring there's a cartel or anything :D
    I'd actually be happy enough with the way we're treated so won't be moving....there's two other groups around here, think they're both going to Athleague

Probably wouldn't work with an existing group, I doubt if a factory would move in on another factories group. I'm not inferring there's a cartel or anything :D
    I'd actually be happy enough with the way we're treated so won't be moving....there's two other groups around here, think they're both going to Athleague

Is it not pretty obvious that ICM kill every week is made up of producer group lambs hence the poor quoted price in papers every week??

Is it not pretty obvious that ICM kill every week is made up of producer group lambs hence the poor quoted price in papers every week??

Yea, I often thought that alright,but they get plenty of farmers and agents too on a Thursday while we'd be there, don't think any other group goes on thurs, must've been 2000 -2500 killed yest and we only had 6-700, some dealers come straight from marts with very good lambs, I often wonder what they pay for them or did the dealers share out a mart somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sent 60 lambs yesterday at 5.05/kg they averaged 107 a lamb. Another 63 going today.

The 63 lambs averaged €105 a piece. These were slightly smaller lambs but glad with their money

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

What weight were they live roughly
    Were they getting meal
    What weight are they paying up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

That's a great average on a big lot of lambs.

Average live weights was 43-46 kgs. All lambs were on meal and silage. Their dead weights were between 19 to 24 kgs. The breeds consisted of easy cares, beltex crosses, charollais cross lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just a matter of interest. David, what breed killed out best?

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Just a matter of interest. David, what breed killed out best?

Beltex lambs weighed like lead. They were only 43-44 KGS but killed out 22 + kg. Very little between the charollais and easy care. Wasn't sure how the easy care lambs would go, when their born they have long legs and big frame. They come into big weights quickly. Bought another 2 easy care rams.
    Have 24 lambs that were too big for the factory 47-55 kgs but their going to 2 local butchers during the Christmas.

I didn't send any this week....are lambs down a bit. our group would have been on a small bit less than last week

I didn't send any this week....are lambs down a bit. our group would have been on a small bit less than last week

Same as last two weeks with us & looking like same again for 3 day kill next week

Still much the same non group price for the last few weeks ie 5 euro to 22.5 for QA.That's in two different factories.Another paying 4.90 to 23 kgs which is more or less the same.Talk every week is of this or that place talking down the price but so far no drop.
    Heard of 5.10 being got but thats either a special offer or maybe not actually happening.Who knows?

Quoted 5.05 up to 23kg carcase. Have a few going on a truck today. Shed is starting to get empty.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Quoted 5.05 up to 23kg carcase. Have a few going on a truck today. Shed is starting to get empty.
    5:10 in Kildare today.Less than 50 left here now.Next job is to pay the meal bill!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have a ewe Lamb (March born) that had Orf but it has cleared off on her but I am not going to take the chance of keeping her on (was going to be a replacement)...is well fed....do I need to put eid electronic tag in her or will ordinary mart lamb tag do for sending her to factory or showing her in Mart?....would be moving her on in a few weeks,am feeding her nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Have a ewe Lamb (March born) that had Orf but it has cleared off on her but I am not going to take the chance of keeping her on (was going to be a replacement)...is well fed....do I need to put eid electronic tag in her or will ordinary mart lamb tag do for sending her to factory or showing her in Mart?....would be moving her on in a few weeks,am feeding her nuts.

I don't think she will get orf again once it is clear from her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any prices for this week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

5.20 for big numbers, 5.10 for the regular joes

Advertisement