Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ganmo wrote: »
    If they want more supply raise the price and the supply will rise.
    Economics 101

Very poor quotes on the Indo today....it's bad enough to see that ICM have the highest quote at €4.75. Not a great outlook
    There'd often be artic of northern lambs at the factory when I'd be there, and that would be a day when we'd have maybe two artics coming from our group.
    I had oil delivered yesterday and the driver was saying that demand dries up in
    January, when the customers are trying to pay for Christmas. I suppose our customers are confined to eating pork and chickhen for the foreseeable

ganmo wrote: »
    If they want more supply raise the price and the supply will rise.
    Economics 101

Unless they put them into the stores with the SMP they'd be unlikely to sell them at a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Very poor quotes on the Indo today....it's bad enough to see that ICM have the highest quote at €4.75. Not a great outlook

I had oil delivered yesterday and the driver was saying that demand dries up in January, when the customers are trying to pay for Christmas. I suppose our customers are confined to eating pork and chickhen for the foreseeable

Tired of constantly hearing throughout the year from factories that the international markets remain weak and quiet for lamb demand etc, only for the official figures to come out that 2017 was a record year for exports and numbers processed. Go figure eh ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Tired of constantly hearing throughout the year from factories that the international markets remain weak and quiet for lamb demand etc, only for the official figures to come out that 2017 was a record year for exports and numbers processed. Go figure eh ??

The Journal had a report on Bord Bia figures a few weeks back. Sheep meat exports rose by 14% but the value only rose by 12%, meaning farmers were paid for 12 out of every 14 animals they sold into this market.

The "volatility of sterling" was "almost certainly" to blame apparently but that's not much consolation to the farmer giving away 2 animals for free out of every 14 he/she produces.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The Journal had a report on Bord Bia figures a few weeks back. Sheep meat exports rose by 14% but the value only rose by 12%, meaning farmers were paid for 12 out of every 14 animals they sold into this market.

The "volatility of sterling" was "almost certainly" to blame apparently but that's not much consolation to the farmer giving away 2 animals for free out of every 14 he/she produces.

I got €4 more per lamb this year, does that mean they paid me for an extra lamb for every 26 lambs I sold......I think your calculator is a bit off. the difference might be around 2% methinks......and were we overpaid 2016 or underpaid 2017 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

What annoys me a lot is the fact my father buys and hauls a lot of lambs for icm navan and has been since they opened 25 years ago, last year and this year he and other local farmers have been getting it hard to get lambs killed unlike other years, icm seem to be more interested in looking after the northern lambs and wont support the local men who have been sending lambs there decades, i know a few farms who have since moved to supplying athleague and are getting on better there now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

personally i think it may be a ruse. the throughput of lambs was quite big in autumn this year and the hoggets are not on the ground. I think factories were begining to panic when prices were heading over €5 in early january, traditionally the price only ever goes one way in january and they thought they might have to be paying 5.50 for hoggets come march. there slashing the price in the hope that they still get supplies with wet weather and lads needing to offload lambs at any cost out of the way. hopefully they dont get the suplies and have to come back with better offers. unfortunatly im in the boat of needing to get rid of my last 6 ram lambs. there in the shed eating meal and hay ad lib and although 2 are very average at the minute i just need to get them out of the way to make room for ewes lambing from feb 1st. i brought 4 dry ewes over to navan last night and it was very quite only about 8 pens of sheep andd very few lambs at 8.30 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think your sums might be off there. For every 100 kilos of meat exported in 2016 114 kilos were exported in 2017. Then for every €100 received in 2016 €112 was received in 2017.

For simplicity if meat was €1 per kilo in 2016 it was only 98.25 cents per kilo in 2017 or as wrangler points out back about 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Willfarman wrote: »
    The uk Marts are in full swing again...

Do we know for sure they are bringing in English lambs this year?? Few lads i know who haul lambs say they coming down from the north alright but the haven't heard of any english lambs being drew yet. Still a lot of lightish stores being sold in the mart around here and factory was full monday morning i had to leave my lambs on the bank no pens available so still seems to be a good supply in this country still. Factorys just trying to keep down price i think as said above lads need to be getting rid this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

how do you know from report that there coming over here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Friend of mine working in Icm. Ferried to the north and down. Be in factory morning after mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭kk.man

I would advise all Farmers to take photos of lambs pre slaughter so the factories cant impose their 'dirty livestock' policy. You phone photos will be time stamped and these are accepted in disputes.

Now how's that for advise...better than useless IFA and no charge.

kk.man wrote: »
    I would advise all Farmers to take photos of lambs pre slaughter so the factories cant impose their 'dirty livestock' policy. You phone photos will be time stamped and these are accepted in disputes.

Now how's that for advise...better than useless IFA and no charge.

not great advice either, you'd have to turn up every lamb and photograph the bellies individually because that's where most of the problems will be.

wrangler wrote: »
    not great advice either, you'd have to turn up every lamb and photograph the bellies individually because that's where most of the problems will be.
    In my case it will be a few photos in a well lit pen of the factory lairage, I'll take my chances on the fight after.

In my case it will be a few photos in a well lit pen of the factory lairage, I'll take my chances on the fight after.
    `

It's as simple as putting your hand on the belly of the sheep and if it comes up ****ty and wet, you can save yourself the fight, because you have dirty lambs.

Category C lambs.....you don't learn a lot from that photo, yet their bellies were ****e
    IMG_0670.JPG

They were penned in the lorry with a group that were loaded straight from the field and **** everywhere

They your lambs that were held overnight a few weeks ago ?

They your lambs that were held overnight a few weeks ago ?

yea, that's what they looked like when they were unloaded on the first day before they were held over, They were rated too dirty to go up the line.
    That's what we're up against now, ICM sent us that picture, they're probably the dirtiest ones
    I often saw ones held back till last and they'd slow down the line for them so the mucky skin didn't get slapped against the meat.
    The lads on the line don't like it being slowed, they're paid per lamb so the faster the better

I can see the wet on them alright. But their still very healthy looking sheep. Any sheep loaded from a field at this time of year would be as wet. You’d also wonder how wet the sheep are from across the water after 24hrs in transit.

Apparently the lorried in sheep come in fairly dry. I think we are only pissing into the wind on this one lads. There's no one grading individual sheep for clean or dirty just two shearer clipping belly wool and crotch of every sheep that passes. If they are very dirty or wet looking bunch in lairage they are left till last so that's why it's in your own unrest to have them middling presentable looking as possible! It's the price that outrageous this day of the year. That's where we are being scutched.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

It's the price that outrageous this day of the year. That's where we are being scutched.

E5 not that bad a price in fairness though, lambs i killed monday averaged 111 cant complain with that any day of the year

• Advertisement

Not when all gain has to come from concentrates. You'd want another 10€ at least.

Btw I trasport my own sheep now after last year's events (that's what I was refering to earlier). My sheep come out of a shed from now on, my trailer is clean and dry as are my sheep.
    I will take a photograph and get a receipt at the lairage because I don't trust the f $¥$&÷%=× after last year.

Wounder how their agents are fairing after a day in the Mart.. ..

Not when all gain has to come from concentrates. You'd want another 10€ at least.

Said it here loads of times, but reckon I made more profit out of selling light lambs at €75 a pop last summer then what I’m making out of the tail end of the same batch now. Add up the meal , labour element of feeding everyday over the winter, lost grazing diverted from ewes and meds/ dosing, with the odd one lost, not much margin out of lambs being sold to factory at the moment.

Btw I trasport my own sheep now after last year's events (that's what I was refering to earlier). My sheep come out of a shed from now on, my trailer is clean and dry as are my sheep.
    I will take a photograph and get a receipt at the lairage because I don't trust the f $¥$&÷%=× after last year.

Wounder how their agents are fairing after a day in the Mart.. ..

Sheep are probably drying and emptying in the mart, Mart sheep would be 24hrs fasting, not usually killed the same day.
    Surprisingly holding my sheep back overnight did not affect the killout percentage.
    Have to say that was the first time I had any problem with Camolin after 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Said it here loads of times, but reckon I made more profit out of selling light lambs at €75 a pop last summer then what I’m making out of the tail end of the same batch now. Add up the meal , labour element of feeding everyday over the winter, lost grazing diverted from ewes and meds/ dosing, with the odd one lost, not much margin out of lambs being sold to factory at the moment.

Totally agree. Your at nothing if you have lambs left over now.

Going by the english discussion forums there doesn't seem to be a problem about clipping, 40p to clip them on the line or if they're bad 80p to shear them before slaughter, also some of the marts are shearing them too.......is it a lot of hot air about nothing.

To be honest I think it is rangler. It's like chasing crows for small potatoes while pigs eat the main crop.
    The issue I'd like looked into is what price the English sheep slaughtered here are costing. If they are the same or cheaper than our own that's fine but if we are caught in a caught in a system of we subsidising them while they are keeping supply going then that bodes of contempt of the hand thats feeding them..

Though I know you hate to hear an ill word against Larry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

adam14 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Your at nothing if you have lambs left over now.

Same here too - we sold stores (from a maternal ram) at 36-37kg last August and t'was the best decision ever. Much easier to look after ewes in the run up to breeding and generally get organised around the place.

Anything left this August will also get the store/mart route.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

To be honest I think it is rangler. It's like chasing crows for small potatoes while pigs eat the main crop.
    The issue I'd like looked into is what price the English sheep slaughtered here are costing. If they are the same or cheaper than our own that's fine but if we are caught in a caught in a system of we subsidising them while they are keeping supply going then that bodes of contempt of the hand thats feeding them..

Though I know you hate to hear an ill word against Larry!

They should be able to absorb the cost, but sure why would they.
    Their biggest problem is that they are too transparent about it....if they dropped the price 5c/kg and add it on to the cost of processing there wouldn't be word about it, treat it the same as the cost of skinning them.
    Begrudging Larry his success won't rise the price one cent

• Advertisement

The transparency is to Stop the don't give a feck attitude some lads have with bringing in dirty wet lambs.

Advertisement