Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

€1 is needed the hardest part off clipping is the belly and around the ass... as pointed out here yous have the fleece off them as quick... a lot off farmers clipping lambs b4 going as I think lorry had dirty lambs back up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was offered 5.40 for lambs and 3.00 for ewes this evening. I didn't commit what are you hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

got 5.50 on monday

MD1983 wrote: »
    got 5.50 on monday

Is that from a bigger plant? My quote was from a Butcher.

yes - a factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Robson99

€ 5.50 all in at the moment. Can see them hitting € 6.00 in the next fortnight with Easter on the Horizon

kk.man wrote: »

when you say a butcher, are you actually selling them to a butcher with a shop or what is the set-up? Where does the butcher slaughter the animal?

Does he pay up to full carcass weight or only up to say 23kg?

thanks

MD1983 wrote: »

when you say a butcher, are you actually selling them to a butcher with a shop or what is the set-up? Where does the butcher slaughter the animal?

Does he pay up to full carcass weight or only up to say 23kg?

thanks
    Full 23kgs his premises would be reasonable big. Not a factory.
    He is handy to drop them to the night before and they would be clean when klled.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Have had 2 factorys ring looking for sheep today and a text from mart looking for hoggots tomorrow due to high demand.. unfortunately i have nothing to sell at the min but anyone with some should get good money, wonder how strict will the be with dirty lambs this week it would be hard have them dry and clean if outside the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got 5.55 for lambs last tuesday , came into 123.00 on average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ifa are reporting jump in lamb prices. Saying €5.90 to €6 is out there

If hoggets hit the € 6.00 / kg in the next few days where do lads see them being at the end of the month ?
    I know the Easter trade will be over at that stage but there surely wont be enough of early lambs on the market to meet demand ?

Took €5.80 on offer today .probably should have squeezed more, but think it’s good money and happy to be rid of last of the screws and empties .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Took €5.80 on offer today .probably should have squeezed more, but think it’s good money and happy to be rid of last of the screws and empties .

Good money. What weight are they. Think I will go through all my ewe lambs snd pick out the ones. Is that won't make nice ewe hoggets in the autumn. Will probably make as much on them. Now

sea12 wrote: »
    Good money. What weight are they. Think I will go through all my ewe lambs snd pick out the ones. Is that won't make nice ewe hoggets in the autumn. Will probably make as much on them. Now

They were small Lleyns k.o around 20kg. The ones that weren’t good enough to breed off and a few that didn’t go in lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Robson99 wrote: »
    If hoggets hit the € 6.00 / kg in the next few days where do lads see them being at the end of the month ?
    I know the Easter trade will be over at that stage but there surely wont be enough of early lambs on the market to meet demand ?

I'm guessing the weather has a fair bit to do with this jump

although...
    LambPrices_20180310084148.gif

it'll be interesting to see what new lambs open on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

ganmo wrote: »
    I'm guessing the weather has a fair bit to do with this jump

although...
    LambPrices_20180310084148.gif

it'll be interesting to see what new lambs open on

Nice chart - is it from online someplace or one you generated yourself?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

bord bia farmers section
    they have prices and throughput info there

According to today's paper 6 euro plus is being achieved. What's being quoted to yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Accounting to today's paper 6 euro plus is being achieved. What's being quoted to yourselves?

6:15 inc.qa in kildare this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Hopefully allot of lads with ewe lambs will weed out the poor ones and take advantage of good price. This might reduce the amount of ewe hoggets in the autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

sea12 wrote: »
    Hopefully allot of lads with ewe lambs will weed out the poor ones and take advantage of good price. This might reduce the amount of ewe hoggets in the autumn.

Makes as much sense to sell now at €6.15 to 23/24 kg than to keep till autumn.Would hoggets average €150 in the autumn?

Any update on prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

was selling a few in the mart today didn't stick around as I was in early but I got €100 for 38.5kg ewe lambs that were very underfleshed and 3 ram lambs 28.5 kg 76 euro . I sold a couple of cast ewes as well and got on well that was me just cleaning up the flock a bit with how good the prices are atm. there was hardly any sheep in the mart which I was surprised at I wonder is it a lack of sheep around atm or did the weather play a part?

Makes you wonder if the lack of sheep around is a result of not as many lads buying stores this year after what the factories did to us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Makes you wonder if the lack of sheep around is a result of not as many lads buying stores this year after what the factories did to us last year.

High prices cure high prices and conversely
    Low prices cure low prices.
    Just shows that you have to do the same system every year because if you hop from one to another you're liable to get caught in the bad years every time.
    Hopefully the ''clean sheep policy'' won't stop the store buyers from under pinning the prices next Sept/ Oct for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

What kind of money are dry ewes making?.....strong Suffolk x well fed sheep....have 5 to offload.
    Dosed them with Flukiver at scanning time (were done before I thought of it)....

Is there a withdrawal period with Flukiver before you can kill sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

What kind of money are dry ewes making?.....strong Suffolk x well fed sheep....have 5 to offload.
    Dosed them with Flukiver at scanning time (were done before I thought of it)....

Defo a wihdrawl period but i dont know what it is. Google it and you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Went through my hoggets today and anythin not lookin promising have housed them and going to finish them. Hopefully the prices stay up.

They have been on 300 grams of stock blend meal and a pinch of whole oats for the winter. Going put them on intensive nuts..how much should the be built up to for ad lib..and gone by end of April.

• Advertisement

€3.20 a kilo deadweight up to 40kg. Be careful with the withdrawals.

Advertisement