Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

6.40/kg 128 ave

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Weighed a few lambs today born last week of Feb and first werk of March. Surprised there were several over 40kg and more 35-38kg. They’ve been getting 100g/head creep but thats it.

God knows what we’ll get for them if prices keep dropping the way they have in last 2 weeks but it’ll be good to get a few away anyway.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Weighed a few lambs today born last week of Feb and first werk of March. Surprised there were several over 40kg and more 35-38kg. They’ve been getting 100g/head creep but thats it.

God knows what we’ll get for them if prices keep dropping the way they have in last 2 weeks but it’ll be good to get a few away anyway.

Must be well breed sheep 😉

Cran wrote: »

Must be well breed sheep 😉

They’re not too bad in fairness! I’d have to give some credit to the ram as well - he’s done some work and the lambs are very shapely out of him. As Keano might say, “All credit to the breeder!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

What price are lambs and ewes now?

• Advertisement

IH784man wrote: »
    What price are lambs and ewes now?

Ewes 2.90 lambs 6.30 on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

How do you manage to restrict lambs to 100g a day creep

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Ewes 2.90 lambs 6.30 on monday

Are they quoting lambs at €6:30 this coming Monday? I've a couple of lambs 41kg that were grass fed I'll let off if they are so

A well bred lamb is bound to die 50% this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »

+1, even the petlambs here are eating over a kg/day., they'd eat 100g in a mouthful
    Often wonder about farmers claiming creep feeding at small amounts.
    If I left the creep feeder empty to restrict them, there'd surely be a lamb killed in the rush when I would put it in

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote: »
    Are they quoting lambs at €6:30 this coming Monday? I've a couple of lambs 41kg that were grass fed I'll let off if they are so

Talk of below 6 euro i think for this week

wrangler wrote: »
    razor8 wrote: »

+1, even the petlambs here are eating over a kg/day., they'd eat 100g in a mouthful
    Often wonder about farmers claiming creep feeding at small amounts.
    If I left the creep feeder empty to restrict them, there'd surely be a lamb killed in the rush when I would put it in

Crude weight measurements here - 40 lambs get 4kg, which they get to when they pop out thru the creep gate. Some will eat more, some get none. The average in one way tells very little.

I’m not claiming we’re great farmers or anything (the breeding might be above average but management certainly isn’t at this point). All I was saying above is that lambs have surprised us by doing well without much meal. To be honest, the lesson for us is that we should have fed more creep and we might have had a few up the ramp before the price drop.

Crude weight measurements here - 40 lambs get 4kg, which they get to when they pop out thru the creep gate. Some will eat more, some get none. The average in one way tells very little.

I’m not claiming we’re great farmers or anything (the breeding might be above average but management certainly isn’t at this point). All I was saying above is that lambs have surprised us by doing well without much meal. To be honest, the lesson for us is that we should have fed more creep and we might have had a few up the ramp before the price drop.

forward creep grazing seems to work well with sheep, is your land reseeded lately, very good to have them ready to go now.
    Nothing even close here, but there's 210 between ewes and lambs on eleven acres.
    We're getting the same lamb Growth rate as Athenry, so happy enough.
    Farm I was on in Scotland were claiming growth rate of 600gms/day with creep and yet only had 350 gone out of 850 Feb lambing ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Weighed a sample of my own last week when I put a few pens through the scales when dosing, 60 were averaging 330 which I was delighted with. I’d be surprised if whole average wasn’t at least 300

600 is crazy but achievable off creep. Had one lamb last year went to factory at 67 days old off grass

I pulled out seven that are forty plus kilograms this morning. As I was going through the lambs I noticed maggots on one so cliked all bar the seven I pulled out . The withdrawal date is only seven days and I've a lot of lambs 35kg so that'll sort them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a handful of lambs over 40 kg and some between 36 and 40 was planning on bringing all to the mart, would I be best to bring them now or wait for the prices to rise, or is it all down hill from here? Also what would these lambs likely make, all charollais x, mix of ewes and rams.

Wait a few weeks and finish them,can't see price rising any more for a while.
    36-40kg I'd value at €90-€100

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a handful of lambs over 40 kg and some between 36 and 40 was planning on bringing all to the mart, would I be best to bring them now or wait for the prices to rise, or is it all down hill from here? Also what would these lambs likely make, all charollais x, mix of ewes and rams.

Price wont rise until autumn. Id finish them but if grass quality is slipping and running out, you might be aswell off to send them now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Price wont rise until autumn. Id finish them but if grass quality is slipping and running out, you might be aswell off to send them now

What would the finished weight be?

DJ98 wrote: »
    What would the finished weight be?

42-45 depending on flesh

• Advertisement

42-45 depending on flesh

Butchers tend to like them a little heavier.

We're in a similar position here: have a few 40+ and more 35-40 so they'll go to factory in a few weeks rather than finishing them for the local butcher. Nothing stopped for silage yet and have some reseeding to do too, so we need to reduce the load!

We're in a similar position here: have a few 40+ and more 35-40 so they'll go to factory in a few weeks rather than finishing them for the local butcher. Nothing stopped for silage yet and have some reseeding to do too, so we need to reduce the load!

Our group coordinator claimed today that KO has been falling over the last few weeks, probably due to the deterioration in grass quality.
    Grass has gone very stemmy everywhere

Butchers will take them if there's nothing else available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any quotes for this week?

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Any quotes for this week?

A slight rise i think

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

6€ base

€6.15/kg 19.2kg avg €118 avg

42kg well fleshed lambs made 119
    44kg made 125.
    At mart today

42kg well fleshed lambs made 119
    44kg made 125.
    At mart today

Many lambs there ? Will prices hold for another few weeks do you think ? Lamb thrive is pretty bad here between the poor start then the drought all my grass burnt up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Any quotes this week have about 17 till go and have about the same number in around the 42-43kg half ram half ewe lambs which I'd let go of the price outlook is poor.

Advertisement