Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Sent 93 to Kildare last week. About 850 gone so far. They made €113 our worst price so far this year. In hindsight there was a few slightly under fleshed but wanted to get rid of them while price is decent. I reckon it’ll be close to €5 very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Sent 93 to Kildare last week. About 850 gone so far. They made €113 our worst price so far this year. In hindsight there was a few slightly under fleshed but wanted to get rid of them while price is decent. I reckon it’ll be close to €5 very soon.

Hard to be really sure if supplies are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Willfarman wrote: »
    Hard to be really sure if supplies are there.

I know not many farmers in postion to buy stores at the min but factory agents around here appear to be buying a lot of lambs in mart 40-43kgs lambs that they wouldn't usually buy as be a bit light for killing unless well fleshed, weather that means supplies of heavy lambs are scarce or not i dont know but i was in factory myself with some thursday morning and there was plenty of lambs there anyway waiting for pens to come available before you could unload

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Was in Kildare on Friday. Didn’t seem over busy, abit quiet actually, but they still had nice lambs there for slaughter, I only had culls. Can see supplies being tight enough as the season goes on, but given the weather, you’d need it, as finishing anything is going to be slow and costly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What's culls making green farmer? Have a handful off ewes here that never milked on 1side not weeded just no milk on 1side... Old fella reckons it could just be the lamb never sucked her on that side? I don't wanna take the chance on them tho.

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    What's culls making green farmer? Have a handful off ewes here that never milked on 1side not weeded just no milk on 1side... Old fella reckons it could just be the lamb never sucked her on that side? I don't wanna take the chance on them tho.

I got €3.00 plus .10c qa , that goes a long way to buying back in fresh new ewe lambs if you want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I got €3.00 plus .10c qa , that goes a long way to buying back in fresh new ewe lambs if you want.

Anyone care to throw a number on what replacement ewe lambs will make this year?

Given the apparently lower numbers from the spring and lack of grass now, will they be up or down compared to last year?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone care to throw a number on what replacement ewe lambs will make this year?

Given the apparently lower numbers from the spring and lack of grass now, will they be up or down compared to last year?

Depends on the quality. Could be up to 150 for mules 130 for texels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Wev 170 culls picked to go now tomorrow, 310 in navan

Wev 170 culls picked to go now tomorrow, 310 in navan

Are people keeping their culls for the welfare scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Depends on the quality. Could be up to 150 for mules 130 for texels etc

And add another 40-50 for their older hogget sisters I guess.

You wouldn't be long running up the "investment" costs!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Are people keeping their culls for the welfare scheme?

Dont depends on numbers needed i suppose, im still well over the number needed so will be less mouths to feed after tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

There will be no shortage of good ewe lambs throughout the rest of the autumn and winter that can be bought for store prices

You’d wonder where this years store buyers are going to come from. Cattle won’t be dear and fodder won’t bw plentiful, straw scarce and dairymen won’t have a lot of excess cash to play with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I’ll be there for you,, when the rain starts to fall,, I’ll be there for you, like I been there before..

Willfarman wrote: »
    I’ll be there for you,, when the rain starts to fall,, I’ll be there for you, like I been there before..

Took me a minute ;):D

You’d wonder where this years store buyers are going to come from. Cattle won’t be dear and fodder won’t bw plentiful, straw scarce and dairymen won’t have a lot of excess cash to play with it

I dont see what dairy men and straw have to do with store prices. Of we get rain therell be a hape pf grass together that lads will need to graze.
    Arpund here,store lambs are usually bought for aftergrass after hay. Big prices for hay could lead to high enough prices for nice store lambs still...

I dont see what dairy men and straw have to do with store prices. ..

Straw might be a product that a lot of lads finishing lambs in sheds would use either as bedding and or supplement to meal. So expensive straw is just another overhead that’s gotten more expensive and factored in to the equation. 2-3 years ago store lamb prices went through the roof. Reason was cattle were too expensive and a lot of beef lads started buying store lambs instead. Some dairy lads also dabble in finishing animals as well. Was at a mart one day and I couldn’t get a sniff at buying lambs. Some big dairy lads had turned up and had deeper pockets then I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Straw might be a product that a lot of lads finishing lambs in sheds would use either as bedding and or supplement to meal. So expensive straw is just another overhead that’s gotten more expensive and factored in to the equation. 2-3 years ago store lamb prices went through the roof. Reason was cattle were too expensive and a lot of beef lads started buying store lambs instead. Some dairy lads also dabble in finishing animals as well. Was at a mart one day and I couldn’t get a sniff at buying lambs. Some big dairy lads had turned up and had deeper pockets then I had.

Let the have them and make a loss on them if there paying above the going rate,there only there for a few Marts in the summer anyway,same thing every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Any hope of prices picking up next week I wonder.?
    Just have 1st batch of lambs ready to go for this year. Approx 46kgs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Had a struggle to squeeze €5.10 in Kildare today. Lambs made €106

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20180714100655

Well they pulled it back to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

4.80 plus 10 cent quality assurance in camolin this week ewes are 2 .70 paying to 40kg. It's a disappointing return for all the hardship got this year.

Larry leading the downward charge, again

Larry leading the downward charge, again

What doea he own icm is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What time off the year were the exporters buying up all the lamb? Remember at the start they were taking lambs from 42kg but as it went on only wanted the heavier lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What doea he own icm is it?

And kepak

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Got 102 less €3 exps today, average weight 45,
    I'll have to weigh next week again, nearly half were overweight.
    concentrates are too expensive to be giving free meat.
    Got 103 for ewes, av weight 85kg, DW 39KG.
    Only paying up to 40kg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Anyone know what days ICM camolin kill lambs. Do you just turn up in the morning with them or do you have to book them in. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

foxirl wrote: »
    Anyone know what days ICM camolin kill lambs. Do you just turn up in the morning with them or do you have to book them in. Thanks

They seem to kill lambs everyday, I'd imagine you'd have to phone ahead

Advertisement