Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

foxirl wrote: »
    Anyone know what days ICM camolin kill lambs. Do you just turn up in the morning with them or do you have to book them in. Thanks

I usually phone ahead , I've only ever brought them down for killing on Monday to Wednesday which is their only kill days I think, you can bring them down the night before or the morning of slaughter .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

foxirl wrote: »
    Anyone know what days ICM camolin kill lambs. Do you just turn up in the morning with them or do you have to book them in. Thanks

Google their phone number and ask them directly. Called them last week re lambs and the receptionist was very friendly. Number is 053-9366300.

Price is poor obviously but they don’t mind you ringing!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks all. Will give them a buzz tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Heard some plants are booked out for next week such is the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know what lowland stores 30-38kg are making in the Marts at moment ? Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone know what lowland stores 30-38kg are making in the Marts at moment ? Thanks

According to the Journal this week lowland-bred stores are making:

* 36-40kg = €80-90

* 30-35kg = €65-80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

hard to beat €2.10/kg in roscrea last wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

What weight would you want lambs going to the factory have a good lot around 40kg at the moment, how much further do these need to go, what is classed as overweight? Thank you

DJ98 wrote: »
    What weight would you want lambs going to the factory have a good lot around 40kg at the moment, how much further do these need to go, what is classed as overweight? Thank you

Depends on breed and feeding.

Solid lambs out of a good terminal sire who are getting some meal might kill out at 47-48% so 40kg would give 19kg carcase. If there’s plenty maternal or hill breeding and no meal they might only kill out at 43-45%.

You’d probably need to hit 45kg+ before you’d be giving away free meat if factories are paying to 21kg.

Loads of farm-specific variables too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You’d probably need to hit 45kg+ before you’d be giving away free meat if factories are paying to 21kg.

Loads of farm-specific variables too

You have to also factor in your 45kg lamb on your scales at home, will be a few kg lighter by time it’s travelled to the mart and stood around for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

My 45kg lambs were bang on weight for 21kg ,they were meal fed in the shed . My 41kg lambs came into 91 euro I think but I'd have to double check the kill sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

46+ here but we weigh them fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Any premium on ewe lambs in the mart? I have a few around the 44kg mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

arctictree wrote: »
    Any premium on ewe lambs in the mart? I have a few around the 44kg mark.

Sales start at 1 august arpund here. Have to be good sheep and clean heads for a premium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sales start at 1 august arpund here. Have to be good sheep and clean heads for a premium

Got 97 euro for 45kg ewe lambs. Not too bad I suppose. A group of lighter 40Kg weather lambs I had only made 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

That's €2.15kg for heavy ones €2.07 for light ones... I'd say you'd still a got more factoring the heavy ones say the killed out at 21kg @ €5 kg that's €105...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Lambman wrote: »
    That's €2.15kg for heavy ones €2.07 for light ones... I'd say you'd still a got more factoring the heavy ones say the killed out at 21kg @ €5 kg that's €105...

E5 hard got at the minute but yeah if they were fleshy could have been bit more factoring them alright 21kg @ 97 = 4.62 a kilo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

not much in it unless they were meal fed and firm

45 kgs k/o 20.5 kgs @4.80 = 98.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

What are factories paying for lambs this week?

What weight would mule ram lambs fed on grass only need till be till kill out full weight? First year having them bought the ewes till breed replacements..... I'm guessing close on 50kg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are factories paying for lambs this week?

Got cheque for last week’s lambs today: 4.90/kg meaning 20 Euro per head less than the first batch 3 weeks ago when they were paying 5.80

Your heart would be broke at times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Got cheque for last week’s lambs today: 4.90/kg meaning 20 Euro per head less than the first batch 3 weeks ago when they were paying 5.80

Your heart would be broke at times

Not to mention what grass/concentrates second batch of lambs had eaten compared to first bunch.

Not to mention what grass/concentrates second batch of lambs had eaten compared to first bunch.

KO was lower too: 47% for first batch vs. 44% for second despite more concentrates overall.

This is only our second year back lambing so we're still flexible re what approach works best. Was there a discussion on here recently about lambing in May, feeding no meal to lambs, and letting them "drift" to 45kg by Christmas?

Would that be practical given growth pattern of grass (in a "normal" year!) where you might end up cutting silage before they lamb???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

KO was lower too: 47% for first batch vs. 44% for second despite more concentrates overall.

This is only our second year back lambing so we're still flexible re what approach works best. Was there a discussion on here recently about lambing in May, feeding no meal to lambs, and letting them "drift" to 45kg by Christmas?

Would that be practical given growth pattern of grass (in a "normal" year!) where you might end up cutting silage before they lamb???

You have to put everything in perspective, were lambs worth €7/kg. At Athenry I was telling the guy selling hotdogs that he should be selling lamb burgers, He said that with lamb at €6.50/kg and pork at €1.40kg what would you put between the bread rolls. I'd say factories were losing money at €7
    That's the hard facts and until the pig and poultry farmers charge enough we are where we are.
    As for May lambing, you'd need a catch crop at the end of the year to fatten lambs. I've often referred to the ''mysteries of lamb thrive'' on here........In an all sheep situation lambs don't just drift into 45kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There’s no waste on a lamb carcass. A few years back after doing a good lamb for the freezer I meticulously weighed it the various cuts and then took a the per kilo price in the super market. Averaged close to 16€ a kilo. Excluding kidney liver and heart. The processing cost and then the supermarket cuts are a bit of a unknown but remember they sell the hides heads legs. I agree 7.00 Euro a kilo the margins might not be there.

wrangler wrote: »
    You have to put everything in perspective, were lambs worth €7/kg. At Athenry I was telling the guy selling hotdogs that he should be selling lamb burgers, He said that with lamb at €6.50/kg and pork at €1.40kg what would you put between the bread rolls. I'd say factories were losing money at €7
    That's the hard facts and until the pig and poultry farmers charge enough we are where we are.
    As for May lambing, you'd need a catch crop at the end of the year to fatten lambs. I've often referred to the ''mysteries of lamb thrive'' on here........In an all sheep situation lambs don't just drift into 45kg

Lamb is a premium (roast) product compared to chicken and pork, and shouldn't be competing with these two, or even with beef. But it's up to the well-funded marketers to create that difference in consumers' minds. Unfortunately consumer choice is being led in the opposite direction: more McDonalds burgers from O and P grade beef coming out of the dairy industry.

We might have a better chance if lamb was seen as more akin to veal or venison, but then people might eat even less of it. Tis hard to know and I don't think anyone at suit-level has a clear vision for it.

Re late lambing: catch crops might be an option for us but I was only half-joking. Having the lambs around for a long time means more lameness, worms, and related extra work. Must do some more reading though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Willfarman wrote: »
    There’s no waste on a lamb carcass. A few years back after doing a good lamb for the freezer I meticulously weighed it the various cuts and then took a the per kilo price in the super market. Averaged close to 16€ a kilo. Excluding kidney liver and heart. The processing cost and then the supermarket cuts are a bit of a unknown but remember they sell the hides heads legs. I agree 7.00 Euro a kilo the margins might not be there.

yea, we did it here too, about €280 worth of lamb for the freezer from a slaughtered lamb, but that's if the demand is there for the lesser cuts, we eat them because they're there but I don't think we'd buy them. I'd far prefer chicken or pork to the lesser cuts
    The packaging probably costs as much as the bloody lamb, four lamb chops on a tray etc and not all lambchops fit on the tray....it's not simple

Anybody on here have Dorset sheep and try for 3 lambings every 2 years? Reading up a bit on it there and the star system is an interesting read (5 lambings over 3 years) all naturally done.... not 2 many sheep in this country suited till it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anybody on here have Dorset sheep and try for 3 lambings every 2 years? Reading up a bit on it there and the star system is an interesting read (5 lambings over 3 years) all naturally done.... not 2 many sheep in this country suited till it though.
    Oh lord Jesus if anyone here is at anything like this let’s root them out and get them the help they need! The answer to poor prices is never increased productivity and the sheer drudgery that’d go with this craic.

Advertisement