Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Got cheque for last week’s lambs today: 4.90/kg meaning 20 Euro per head less than the first batch 3 weeks ago when they were paying 5.80

Your heart would be broke at times

It’s a fùcking joke. Ready to screw you at every moment. Made the decision to have every sheep and lamb sold by November and getting out. You can’t make a living and reinvest in them. Why any young person would consider sheep farming is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I feel no sympathy for the factories whatsoever, when they had to pay €7.00 a kilo for a few weeks. Same lads skin us for €4.50-€5.00 for long extended periods. If they wanted to give us a fair fixed price of something like €5.50 a kg guaranteed over a 12 month period, no matter what time of year I’d take that. It would give price certainty to both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    It’s a fùcking joke. Ready to screw you at every moment. Made the decision to have every sheep and lamb sold by November and getting out. You can’t make a living and reinvest in them. Why any young person would consider sheep farming is madness

Fixed that for you, :D could be good advice in jest. Think about it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I feel no sympathy for the factories whatsoever, when they had to pay €7.00 a kilo for a few weeks. Same lads skin us for €4.50-€5.00 for long extended periods. If they wanted to give us a fair fixed price of something like €5.50 a kg guaranteed over a 12 month period, no matter what time of year I’d take that. It would give price certainty to both sides.

Factories are just middle men. They could charge more for their product but they’re afraid of the buyers (the retailers). Tis much easier to pay their suppliers (the farmer) less for their input.

It’s a dog-eat-dog business and farmers are not represented, making them the easy target every time

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

dont worry lads there will plenty of wailing and knashing of teeth when ths hard brexit hits. where will sheep factories in Rep of Ireland go looking for lambs spring when theres no lorries coming in from northern ireland ; ). and no lambs from england being shipped to france, thats another gap for us to fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i actually should be teling lads to get out of sheep!

4.50 - 5.00 is the value of them, €6.00++ is to make sure that people have lambs fit in May......would you lamb ewes in January if March lambs would made the same money when fit.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    dont worry lads there will plenty of wailing and knashing of teeth when ths hard brexit hits. where will sheep factories in Rep of Ireland go looking for lambs spring when theres no lorries coming in from northern ireland ; ). and no lambs from england being shipped to france, thats another gap for us to fill.

It's reckoned there'll be one less factory if the northern lambs aren't killed here,
    New zealand are allowed export over 200000 tonnes sheepmeat into the EU, britain used to take a lot of it, wonder which markets they'll go into now.
    There's massive implications for us with Brexit

wrangler wrote: »
    4.50 - 5.00 is the value of them, €6.00++ is to make sure that people have lambs fit in May......would you lamb ewes in January if March lambs would made the same money when fit.

I know it’s not hardly large scale, but my local butcher charges the same per kg to his customers the whole year around. A decent mark up on what they pay us. I can never understand how lamb is classed as a luxury product when we only get paid on average a €1 a kilo more then beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I know it’s not hardly large scale, but my local butcher charges the same per kg to his customers the whole year around. A decent mark up on what they pay us. I can never understand how lamb is classed as a luxury product when we only get paid on average a €1 a kilo more then beef.

Yeah but if you go to buy it in the shop on average it will probably be a lot more than €1 on average dearer.

People also think of the leg and chops when they think lamb. Nobody thinks a lamb donor is a premium product. If you think beef you think steak (premium) or stew or burgers which are not premium.

If there's a similar amount of meat in one beef carcass as 20 lamb carcasses there'd be more work cutting up 20 lambs. There'd also be more waste to dispose of such as offall. All them have to be paid for somehow and the premium cuts have to pay for it because donor kebab meat certainly won't.

It would be interesting to know though from the factory buying the meat to the end consumer buying does lamb command much more of a premium in terms of profit than beef or is it similar when all the costs etc. are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's reckoned there'll be one less factory if the northern lambs aren't killed here,
    New zealand are allowed export over 200000 tonnes sheepmeat into the EU, britain used to take a lot of it, wonder which markets they'll go into now.
    There's massive implications for us with Brexit

Britain used to take a lot of it because they did not make it economically viable for their own farmers to supply demand.

There are massive opportunities for us with Brexit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Beef has to be boned out don’t forget.

It would be interesting to know though from the factory buying the meat to the end consumer buying does lamb command much more of a premium in terms of profit than beef or is it similar when all the costs etc. are taken into account.

That would be interesting information. there’s probably money in the bits of the lamb we don’t even think about. The other half of the carcass we don’t get paid for. Larry and co seem to have done well out of it down through the years. Better then the farmer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone guess if that's it with the price drops? Thinking of keeping what I have left now until later in the year for them to put on a bit of weight. No point in selling them light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is it OK to sell lambs in the mart that have been done with clik inside the withdrawal period?

Is it OK to sell lambs in the mart that have been done with clik inside the withdrawal period?

DJ98 wrote: »

You'd be really supposed to declare it, not many do, but the s..t would fairly hit the fan if they went straight to the factory and tested positive.
    Never heard of that happening either

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Annouce it..could help them sell a wee bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Annouce it..could help them sell a wee bit better.

Never heard it announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

44.5 kg well fleshed lambs €90 euro....glad there gone at this stage.

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    44.5 kg well fleshed lambs €90 euro....glad there gone at this stage.

Can I ask where you got that?

Can I ask where you got that?

No issue...Gort mart every wed. A fairly small sheep mart now compared to its hey day. Of the three marts around only Athenry has a large sheep sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    No issue...Gort mart every wed. A fairly small sheep mart now compared to its hey day. Of the three marts around only Athenry has a large sheep sale now

Is MC still buying there ?

orm0nd wrote: »
    Is MC still buying there ?

Yes still buying away, not too many buyers any more....feck all competition

Lambs did well today, no over weight or over fat, 20.5kgs, €105 less €3 expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Lambs did well today, no over weight or over fat, 20.5kgs, €105 less €3 expenses

Where did you get that price wrangler.
    Dawn Meats were only paying 4.80 <21kg on Tuesday :(

Sami23 wrote: »
    Where did you get that price wrangler.
    Dawn Meats were only paying 4.80 <21kg on Tuesday :(

Group price in Camolin, but you get skulled for overweight and overfat.
    just happened to get it right this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Group price in Camolin, but you get skulled for overweight and overfat.
    just happened to get it right this week.

Dawn is ok that way. I had a few over 22kg and wasn't cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

got 5.07 up to 21 kg in ICm navan on tuesday....very few lambs about id say the price may lift a touch if anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Hopefully it does lift but tuesdays always one of the quietest days for nqvan, was there testerday morning early and the place was jammed and paddock was full

Advertisement