Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

When will factorys start paying lambs till 23kg? Got offered €2.20 kg for my ram lambs... anything over 38kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    When will factorys start paying lambs till 23kg? Got offered €2.20 kg for my ram lambs... anything over 38kg.

Is it January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it January

August is 22 iirc and september-october 23

August is 22 iirc and september-october 23

You're probably right, i knew it was late in the year.

If you get 99 for 45 kg let em off

Maybe the price drop over the last few weeks is linked till them changing till 22kg? €5.20per kg till 21kg and €5 till 22kg is near the exact same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got 86 euro for 42.5 kg wether lambs this morning at the mart. Not great but what can you do.

Sold 2 lambs in mart today 51kg €110 and 2 lambs 44kg €101 today for a neighbour good money for heavy lambs poor money for forward stores and we'll over €2 a kg for lighter stores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sold 2 lambs in mart today 51kg €110 and 2 lambs 44kg €101 today for a neighbour good money for heavy lambs poor money for forward stores and we'll over €2 a kg for lighter stores.

That seems a bit better than last week anyway

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

First time in mart in a long time but yea I thought heavy lambs were making good money... light lambs aswell 27kg selling for €60 - €65 doesn't make sense till me leaving tight margins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone Any ewe /lamb quotes this week?

• Advertisement

I see kepak bought 4 factories between Scotland England and Wales capable off killing over 1 million lambs per year.... wonder is that there way around brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

I see kepak bought 4 factories between Scotland England and Wales capable off killing over 1 million lambs per year.... wonder is that there way around brexit?

Of course it is. The big Irish meat players have irons in both fires. This is to take advantage of the British preference for their own produce first, sterling fluctuations and processing facilities close to a large market.

It has been reported that Irish own plants will have a 60% control of the UK beef kill after this take over.

kk.man wrote: »
    Of course it is. The big Irish meat players have irons in both fires. This is to take advantage of the British preference for their own produce first, sterling fluctuations and processing facilities close to a large market.

It has been reported that Irish own plants will have a 60% control of the UK beef kill after this take over.

Apparently one factory will have to close if they can't import lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Apparently one factory will have to close if they can't import lambs.

So that’s their play. Use the jobs in one factory as leverage to try and keep the flow of lambs goin.

If they can control the price over there like they do here then it's a bleak outlook for farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if its a hard brexit will republic of ireland meat plants still be able to bring in lambs from Britain (northern Ireland) to kill in the republic?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if its a hard brexit will republic of ireland meat plants still be able to bring in lambs from Britain (northern Ireland) to kill in the republic?
    I'd imagine there will be trade agreements regarding livestock poultry and fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

€95 for lambs averaging 43kg liveweight. Fed 8 euro worth of meal each with straw in the shed . I'm happy enough with that . Also got shut of a couple of lame ewes that I had in the shed they came into a good price , it's my first time feeding on ewes but I think there's a better margin finishing them myself rather than selling them in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Bought more lamb finisher here today. Gone up another €10 a tonne from last week to €310 a tonne. It’s expensive stuff now. On a positive note lamb prices are rising also. Hoping to have some grass back in the next week or so, to reduce meal dependency.

Have a batch off lambs at 46kg don't know whether till send them on or drive them on till 50kg+ and sell in mart.... grass is plentyfull have 12 acres off after grass with a nice cover on it now again.... I think even factory prices will rise as they'll soon be paying till 22kg and this muslim festival is in 3 weeks... so I'm in no rush till creep the lighter lambs at the minute either.

• Advertisement

Have a batch off lambs at 46kg don't know whether till send them on or drive them on till 50kg+ and sell in mart.... grass is plentyfull have 12 acres off after grass with a nice cover on it now again.... I think even factory prices will rise as they'll soon be paying till 22kg and this muslim festival is in 3 weeks... so I'm in no rush till creep the lighter lambs at the minute either.

Get them up to 50 imo. Ko rubbish on some of the lambs we've sent.
    That could be influenced by a few pet lambs which gennerally have lower ko's

That's what I'm thinking drive them on... understocked here this year so won't be a problem keeping them on. Any exporters offering money for ram lambs yet?

Putting up a run of sheep wire tomorrow and tis starting at the corner of a shed. Any of the experienced folks on here have a “trick” for attaching sheep wire to a concrete wall or steel girder?

Putting up a run of sheep wire tomorrow and tis starting at the corner of a shed. Any of the experienced folks on here have a “trick” for attaching sheep wire to a concrete wall or steel girder?

I bore two holes in 3ft of 2inch angle iron and tie the wire around it, then rawlbolt the angle to the wall. I use two 12mm by 70mm anchor bolts to bolt the angle to the wall.

I bore two holes in 3ft of 2inch angle iron and tie the wire around it, then rawlbolt the angle to the wall. I use two 12mm by 70mm anchor bolts to bolt the angle to the wall.

Put down a solid straining stake beside it

Lambs today weighed 44kg LW, 20.8 DW, €108 minus €3 expenses,
    Ewes made 87 but sure there;s nearly six euros exps on them between everything,
    such a rip off

Where u feeding wrangler that's a good KO%.

Thanks for the replies re sheep wire into concrete/steel

And sorry for posting in this lamb price thread - I confused it with the general sheep thread!

Where u feeding wrangler that's a good KO%.

They've no grass until now so they're getting about nearly a kg of Grennans Elite lamb Ration/ day....they'd need to be doing well.
    They were mostly Texels but we had two Vendeen on the load that killed out 53%......How they're not more popular I can't figure, the two were well overweight at 44kg live, we've a lovely vendeen for the freezer, bringing him to 50kg...texels can't compete with them on taste, mmmmm

• Advertisement

Put down a solid straining stake beside it

There's usually foundations and filling beside the wall, hard to get tight to it.
    That's why I bolt something to the wall

Advertisement