Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Know off only 1 farmer near me that used a vendeen thought they were just ok... he kept a food few for replacements the first year and the broke his heart with prolapses maybe it was a bad ram but he never bought another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Know off only 1 farmer near me that used a vendeen thought they were just ok... he kept a food few for replacements the first year and the broke his heart with prolapses maybe it was a bad ram but he never bought another.

Wouldn't use them for crossbred replacement ewes anyway, strictly terminal breed.
    Even when we had the pedigree flock here we'd always make ram buyers aware they had poor milk.
    Never had any problem with prolapses and the pedigree ewes were 100kgs+.
    They were only for a hobby any way, shows etc.
    Hardy at birth and born with wool made them ideal for a busy lambing like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Concur with Rangler. Very fond of them here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »

There's usually foundations and filling beside the wall, hard to get tight to it.
    That's why I bolt something to the wall

That’s exactly the way it is here so need to attach to the wall or drive a stake a few feet out and then use a pallet to fill the gap.

Do you drive a stake to keep the angle iron pushed up against the wall Wrangler? Or is there any need?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

That’s exactly the way it is here so need to attach to the wall or drive a stake a few feet out and then use a pallet to fill the gap.

Do you drive a stake to keep the angle iron pushed up against the wall Wrangler? Or is there any need?

Anywhere I'd have it I have the wire continuing on from the wall, ie the wire wouldn't be going off at right angles to the wall iykwim. If I was coming off the corner of a shed, I'd bolt it to the wall thats going the same direction as the wire, If you have any doubts bore four holes in the angle iron and put four anchor bolts on it, they're strong yokes, put in right they won't pull out

• Advertisement

Anywhere I'd have it I have the wire continuing on from the wall, ie the wire wouldn't be going off at right angles to the wall iykwim. If I was coming off the corner of a shed, I'd bolt it to the wall thats going the same direction as the wire, If you have any doubts bore four holes in the angle iron and put four anchor bolts on it, they're strong yokes, put in right they won't pull out

I know what you mean - thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Putting up a run of sheep wire tomorrow and tis starting at the corner of a shed. Any of the experienced folks on here have a “trick” for attaching sheep wire to a concrete wall or steel girder?

Handiest way is (assuming its 8/80/15) drill 8 holes in pillar ,spaced as per bars in wire,run wire through and either gripple or tie the wire.
    Looks neat and works perfect.Bit slow drilling unless drill and bit are good though.
    Will post pic of some here tomorrow if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have a few slaughter tags I want to use before new rules come into effect. I am bringing a load of lambs to the mart tomorrow. Are the marts strict on the use of tags?

If the department man's there you'll get into unnecessary bother. Seen lambs before sold with slaughter tags tho.

Why isn't there more off a buzz around the export lambs this year I thought every other year they paid good money 10-20c more than factory... have they men buying in marts over this last couple off weeks or are dealers stockpiling them that have deals already done for export? That would make sense as the mart trade seems better than factory prices at the minute... just feard when it's over the mart trade will collapse leading the way for factories till lower price once again. Tis hard till know what till do when you've suitable lambs. Anybody any opinions?

• Advertisement

Any mention of prices this week for lambs? Will it hover around 5 Euro again or is there a change coming?

5.10 for tomorrow 21.5kgs.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Whats outlook for the end off week? Need till do another drafting but will be on by weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Willfarman wrote: »

Including qa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Got 5.15 today for lambs.

All in flat price.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Got 5.15 today for lambs.

Ours should average over 5.20....if they grade right.
    Over 1600 went off from our group this week so everyones lambs is coming fit now, I had to leave over two loads this morning to the depot, I was away last week and didn't weigh, so I probably have overweights/overfats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Ours should average over 5.20....if they grade right.
    Over 1600 went off from our group this week so everyones lambs is coming fit now, I had to leave over two loads this morning to the depot, I was away last week and didn't weigh, so I probably have overweights/overfats

Sent off 44 again this week. Finishing them on meal and grass(finally growing again) average live weights was 42/43kgs and average carcass weight 20.51 kgs. All the overweight lambs head for a butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone finding their lambs are slow to eat grass after being fed meal for the summer?

arctictree wrote: »
    Anyone finding their lambs are slow to eat grass after being fed meal for the summer?

Yea, they were eating over a kg/day here, finding it very hard to cut them back to .5kg even though I'm using a 3 in 1 feeder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭148multi

Yea, they were eating over a kg/day here, finding it very hard to cut them back to .5kg even though I'm using a 3 in 1 feeder

Interested in the feeder, how do you find it, what do you feed in it. Tia.

148multi wrote: »
    Interested in the feeder, how do you find it, what do you feed in it. Tia.

We find it very good, you have to use pellets, 3 - 3.5mm pellets works best, it'll feed grains also. It'll feed any amount from .25kg/day up to ad lib.
    You have to clean the trough maybe twice a week, that just takes a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Not sure what the outlook is going to be for the lambs this winter. Quoted €320 a tonne today for lamb finisher, bagged and their saying to expect price increases. Makes finishing them uneconomic unless you’ve loads of grass or something else home grown.

Lambs averaged €110 and weighed 21kg.

**** hit the fan today with the groups lambs, there's 100 dirty lambs put back....these'll probably have to be shorn tomorrow.
    One big supplier was only getting in the lambs when the lorry arrived to his place this morning, Can't expect lorries to keep lambs clean when they're loaded with bellies full of grass. They deserve to be told to collect them and bring them home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

**** hit the fan today with the groups lambs, there's 100 dirty lambs put back....these'll probably have to be shorn tomorrow.
    One big supplier was only getting in the lambs when the lorry arrived to his place this morning, Can't expect lorries to keep lambs clean when they're loaded with bellies full of grass. They deserve to be told to collect them and bring them home

What was the kill out % wrangler?

What was the kill out % wrangler?

We fast them in for 2hrs before weoghing, we feel some lambs have huge bellyfulls of grass when they come in first
    the killout was 48.5% of that weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

In a factory one morning last week with some lambs of my own,few for a neighbour and 6 cast ewes,5 decent ones and a boner.
    Boner was a year and a half old,lambed in March and with a fist sized lump on her jaw.Pure skin and bone and might not have seen another week or two.Triple decker filled the lairage and waiting two hours to unload.To make a long story short she went down in the trailer and had to drag her out.Completely covered in sc*t*er and unable to walk.Fully sure vet would condemn her straight away.
    Got return yesterday and she makes 35.20 at 2;50 a kilo.Rather someone else eat her than me !!

Pity to see cast ewes make more than good lambs.5 ewes averaged 118 at 2;80 whilst lambs averaged 109(full weight at 5;10)About 44/45 kgs liveweight .

Only problem with cast ewes is deductions of 3 euro a head regardless of weight/price.Lambs "only" had 82 cent a head stoppages

We fast them in for 2hrs before weoghing, we feel some lambs have huge bellyfulls of grass when they come in first
    the killout was 48.5% of that weight

Just looking at the dockets for last thursday here, might give you an idea why we're so particular weighing
    We had one overweight and over fat, he was a U4 and he made €4.78/ kg.
    A U3 last thursday was worth €5.32/kg.

Anyone any idea what a U3 was worth in Qualutex last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Not sure what the outlook is going to be for the lambs this winter. Quoted €320 a tonne today for lamb finisher, bagged and their saying to expect price increases. Makes finishing them uneconomic unless you’ve loads of grass or something else home grown.

Roughly what would it have being a tonne last winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Roughly what would it have being a tonne last winter?

From memory about. €30-€40 a tonne cheaper, that’s in small bags. Why it’s crucial, is because teagasc have stated €280 is point where is starts to become uneconomic.

Advertisement