Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Around 260 if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

From memory about. €30-€40 a tonne cheaper, that’s in small bags. Why it’s crucial, is because teagasc have stated €280 is point where is starts to become uneconomic.

Was shearing today, the shearer was telling me he's buying store lambs on donedeal at €60. surely feeding a bit of meal at 330/ton is better than that.
    I'm feeding meal at 330/ton and the lambs have eaten €12 worth of meal each,
    not really the end of the world with the year we've had, There's still some meal left and most of the lambs will be gone by the time the €12 per lamb will be fed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Was shearing today, the shearer was telling me he's buying store lambs on donedeal at €60. surely feeding a bit of meal at 330/ton is better than that.
    not really the end of the world with the year we've had, There's still some meal left and most of the lambs will be gone by the time the €12 per lamb will be fed

It’s not as simple as that rangler. Loads of fixed and variable costs involved in the store game. Most lads make €10 a head on the stores. Doesn’t take much movement in meal prices to put pressure on margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

If you were getting 86-90 for forward stores off grass you would nearly be aswell to let them go. 40kg made 86 in tuam on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I would disagree with the €10 margin mentioned. We bought about 1000 stores last year and made a nice profit on them. The important thing is getting lambs cheap. Buy horned rams with a good frame for €50 max. Dose them shear them then straight inside. Ours ate about €30 each of pellets and barley ad lib at €280 a ton. Also we pulled any ewe lambs and sold them as hoggets a few weeks ago. So if you’re organised and do up a budget there’s definitely money to be made outta them.

• Advertisement

If you were getting 86-90 for forward stores off grass you would nearly be aswell to let them go. 40kg made 86 in tuam on tuesday.

and mine made €107 + €3 expenses last thursday at 44.5kgs.
    I just thought that the guy taking €60 was really at nothing after minding the ewe and lambing her.
    My shearer is selling breeding hoggets at the moment that he bought last year at around €60, he bought them in mixed batches and anything he didn't like he factory'd in the spring at €130 and getting 150/160 for the breeding ones

My shearer is selling breeding hoggets at the moment that he bought last year at around €60, he bought them in mixed batches and anything he didn't like he factory'd in the spring at €130 and getting 150/160 for the breeding ones

He did well. Are stores the only enterprise on his farm ? If they are then their the only thing covering all the fixed costs of running the farm. If their not the only enterprise, your taking resources from the main ewe flock etc. on the face of it, it’s good money but just saying there are loads of hidden costs.

He did well. Are stores the only enterprise on his farm ? If they are then their the only thing covering all the fixed costs of running the farm. If their not the only enterprise, your taking resources from the main ewe flock etc. on the face of it, it’s good money but just saying there are loads of hidden costs.

It's only a hobby, main income is shearing, works the winter in a local factory. only has ten acres, always has about fifty sheep on the go and doesn't want to lamb anything if he can....buys and sells in Donedeal because he hasn't time to go to the mart, he has his own little furniture factory as well for his spare time whenever that is, he's my nephew

It's only a hobby, main income is shearing, works the winter in a local factory. only has ten acres, always has about fifty sheep on the go and doesn't want to lamb anything if he can....buys and sells in Donedeal because he hasn't time to go to the mart, he has his own little furniture factory as well for his spare time whenever that is, he's my nephew

Ah fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. Often though of stores here, but I’d be at nothing as all the resources are already taken up with the ewes. Honestly feel the only way to make money out of them is to have loads of ground with nothing else running on it, or grow your own crops etc. often felt I was at nothing finishing them out of a bag. When your giving €2.80 a kilo (now it’s heading to €3.30) out of every €5.00 to the mill, It’s not hard to feel like a busy fool. Especially in the years that Larry starts playing games flooding the market with English lamb to drive the price down near €4.60. Cannt see it happening this year, but it did a year and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

41 made 89 also there

• Advertisement

41 made 89 also there

would 41 not make more in the factory, would only have to KO at around 44%..... 41 would be an empty weight if they were at a mart, they lose gutfill very quick when you drive them in a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

would 41 not make more in the factory, would only have to KO at around 44%..... 41 would be an empty weight if they were at a mart, they lose gutfill very quick when you drive them in a trailer

They werent ours. I Just remembered the price tbh. Your man that was selling seemed happy enough to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Ah fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. Often though of stores here, but I’d be at nothing as all the resources are already taken up with the ewes. Honestly feel the only way to make money out of them is to have loads of ground with nothing else running on it, or grow your own crops etc. often felt I was at nothing finishing them out of a bag. When your giving €2.80 a kilo (now it’s heading to €3.30) out of every €5.00 to the mill, It’s not hard to feel like a busy fool. Especially in the years that Larry starts playing games flooding the market with English lamb to drive the price down near €4.60. Cannt see it happening this year, but it did a year and a half ago.

What kind of weight gains are you getting in your lambs? It doesn’t take a lot of meal to finish a lamb If 38kg plus

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

totally agree that taking 60 euro for lowland lambs is not a paying job with the cost of keeping the ewe. Quite happy to take around the 90 for wethers off grass here as the ewe lambs will give the averages a good lift.With a good scanning and weaning rate theres still money to be made.

razor8 wrote: »
    What kind of weight gains are you getting in your lambs? It doesn’t take a lot of meal to finish a lamb If 38kg plus

Lambs at 38kg would probably be still at grass and the extra meal would get them over the line quick. Meal Conversion rate of 5 and then your k.o Percentages mid 40’s. However the amount needed to turn a 30kg store up to 23kg k.o factory weight on meal over the winter is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

From memory about. €30-€40 a tonne cheaper, that’s in small bags. Why it’s crucial, is because teagasc have stated €280 is point where is starts to become uneconomic.

We started feeding 1100 ram lambs at weaning this year, had to or they wouldve starved, down to 240 ram lambs left as of today and have roughly a tenner a head worth of meal ate so far, definitly a better option feeding to get them to a 100 in the factory than giving them away for 60 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Are quotes back a touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Heavy lambs were poor money at mart on Saturday but good quality lighter stores were big money seen 1 lot going €20 over €2kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lambman wrote: »
    Heavy lambs were poor money at mart on Saturday but good quality lighter stores were big money seen 1 lot going €20 over €2kg
    Nice ewe lambs?

Yea they were still 31kg going €82 I wudn be giving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are quotes back a touch?

Heard 5:15 yday.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Heard 5:15 yday.

Was quoted 5.00 for thursday morning here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Was quoted 5.00 for thursday morning here

Back to 4.95

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Back to 4.95

base price quote down another 10c for ICM in the journal, Hope the others haven't dropped.

Got 5.23 last week, be lucky to get 5.03 this week if all quotes have dropped another 10c, some drop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

got €5.12 for U grade and €5.07 for R yesterday in ICM navan

All lambs 47 to 49 kg off grass averaged 20.84 kg carcass and made average of €106.50

roosky wrote: »
    got €5.12 for U grade and €5.07 for R yesterday in ICM navan

All lambs 47 to 49 kg off grass averaged 20.84 kg carcass and made average of €106.50

Camolin flooded with lambs today, huge number left over till the morning.
    Haven't got returns of my lambs yet

Just got it, €108 for 21kg less exps

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

107.66 net
    20.9kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sold lambs in mart yesterday. 48kgs made 100 euro.
    Was disappointed as thought they should make 105.
    Suppose the muslin festival coming to an end will be blamed on price drop

Just after buying 34 mixed lambs at 44kg for €90 hope till take the 18 ewe lambs till a breeding sale next week and factory the rams about the same time... dealers very cautious today heavy lambs very bad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

460 base quote ICM for Monday

Advertisement