Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    have seen this from both sides have bought all shapes and sizes and prices and sold good rams for poor money.

100% agree with rangler the cost of breeding good pedigrees is unreal and it is hard to stomach fellow sheep farmers expecting to buy them for less than production cost.it is just insulting.good breeders need 5-600e to justify the hastle and costs
    years and generations of breeding has to have a value.(not to be confused with pedigree)
    on the other hand to many so called top breeders are just top feeders who don't send half enough to the factory in march.
    just because some muppet north of hadrians wall 'sold' fizzle pizzle for 40,000quid don't make fizzle pizzle a good sheep and pedigree breeders expecting commercial farmers to carry the costs of fantacy priced ram semen is not on

20 years ago sold rams for £300 now guys think 300euro is a great price fer a rehm and would prefer to give 150 for a piece of sh1t (pedigree or not) same guys complain when their cull ewes don't make over 100euro

there are a lot of hidden cost in pedigree breeding e.g traveled half way accross the country for a mate with 4 ram lambs sold the worst one for 350 and glad to see him gone no sale on the other 3 good sheep......home again wouldn't even cover costs for the day fuel,food,entry fees,n a days work lost at home.Repeat exersise until all rams sold:(
    I often buy a crossbreed ram lamb lamb off neighbours and relations that would stand out for thrift and size and weight for age. Never regretted it.
    Have often bought pedigree lambs. Over fed pampered yokes that melted. Often regretted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Willfarman wrote: »
    I often buy a crossbreed ram lamb lamb off neighbours and relations that would stand out for thrift and size and weight for age. Never regretted it.
    Have often bought pedigree lambs. Over fed pampered yokes that melted. Often regretted it.

And do they use purebred rams, where do you think their breeding comes from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

rangler1 wrote: »
    And do they use purebred rams, where do you think their breeding comes from

That would be true. Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Jaysus lads is this thread turning into a Pedigree breeding discussion?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Jaysus lads is this thread turning into a Pedigree breeding discussion?;)

Good point, think I derailed things
    Anyone sell far lambs lately?

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    Good point, think I derailed things
    Anyone sell far lambs lately?

81 lambs going today, will have 125 replacement ewe lambs and 270 fat lambs left out of around 720, how is everyone else's lamb sales going'
    Would be over 50% sold here

81 lambs going today, will have 125 replacement ewe lambs and 270 fat lambs left out of around 720, how is everyone else's lamb sales going'
    Rangler good luck to you that's some amount of lambs.
    We'd 16, holding onto 3 to sell as hoggets in the spring, have 5 with the ram as replacement & rest are gone

We'd 16, holding onto 3 to sell as hoggets in the spring, have 5 with the ram as replacement & rest are gone
    Good going, are you mixed grazing through cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

22 here. Will hold on to a few for hoggets in spring and breeding ewes next summer. Trying to spread my income throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

April lambs starting to move here, 100 gone up to last week, and hopefully another 100 next week only because away this weekend. Key now is to keeping them thriving while not let them get to heavy, think lambs are in best nick ever been this time of year. Weaned last ones and was surprised could be so picky on which ones to move and which to hold for another week or two....

Great demand on rams this year maybe people are buying earlier than normal, anyone else finding this?

• Advertisement

Good going, are you mixed grazing through cattle
    Yes, other years we'd of had sheep ahead of cows till Mid June (Lambs sold) & then Ewes follow after cattle to clean.
    This year we put all together, & move all to fresher more often.
    Tried to give a little nuts it all (leave easier managed) which wasn't much as go to wrong troughs, but seamed to do better this year (maybe growth rates made the difference).

arctictree wrote: »
    22 here. Will hold on to a few for hoggets in spring and breeding ewes next summer. Trying to spread my income throughout the year.
    Looking at how prices were in the spring, that could be a good idea.
    That's the main advantage to sheep over cattle (cash flow)

Cran wrote: »
    April lambs starting to move here, 100 gone up to last week, and hopefully another 100 next week only because away this weekend. Key now is to keeping them thriving while not let them get to heavy, think lambs are in best nick ever been this time of year. Weaned last ones and was surprised could be so picky on which ones to move and which to hold for another week or two....

Great demand on rams this year maybe people are buying earlier than normal, anyone else finding this?

Agree. was on look out myself (eventually got 1).:)
    Not much in the Marts, & Good Rams (particularly Suffolk) seamed to go fairly quickly on DD.
    Trying the earlier lambing next year ourselves (Normally March), Ram went out on Saturday & 1 so far:o
    You've purebreds, have you started to sell them yet, or hold out for mid-season sales?

Agree. was on look out myself (eventually got 1).:)
    Not much in the Marts, & Good Rams (particularly Suffolk) seamed to go fairly quickly on DD.
    Trying the earlier lambing next year ourselves (Normally March), Ram went out on Saturday & 1 so far:o
    You've purebreds, have you started to sell them yet, or hold out for mid-season sales?

Ye have both hoggets and lambs this year as lambed late last year, between what we keep for ourselves and sales only 4 hoggets left real demand on them. Have sold a few lambs already but in no panic with them tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Ye have both hoggets and lambs this year as lambed late last year, between what we keep for ourselves and sales only 4 hoggets left real demand on them. Have sold a few lambs already but in no panic with them tbh

good to hear the trade is lively, was wondering cos a lot of rams re advertised at lower asking price, but having said that maybe the pick of the crop was gone

back on topic 25 lambs going next week leaving 10 for frezzer orders later on

held 24 ewe lambs and bought 15 mule lambs

over all happy with the returns this year though we got snookered a bit due to lack of rain

letting off the rams to morrow and the cycle starts all over again

most likely will be down on sheep numbers next year, have a lot of fr heifers for the bull and also young cattle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Don't get how hogget and breeding prices are so good and em sales. Have people not seen the returns this year.

Only about 20% of my lambs gone but they are April lambs. Will weight again at weekdnd. From looking in field they seem to have put on nice weight in the last 2 weeks and should have a load tongi to factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Hope to get first April born away to mart on Monday, have a few overweight . Noticed that ectofly coverage is due to end soon so hope to have gone before fly realises this. Will redo those not at weights yet. Dry weather really slowed down the thrive here as well.

Well done

Hope to get first April born away to mart on Monday, have a few overweight . Noticed that ectofly coverage is due to end soon so hope to have gone before fly realises this. Will redo those not at weights yet. Dry weather really slowed down the thrive here as well.

Just got kill sheet from Monday today , but disappointed with ko %. Averaged 20.4 kg but thought was some heavier lambs than sheet in the bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Just got kill sheet from Monday today , but disappointed with ko %. Averaged 20.4 kg but thought was some heavier lambs than sheet in the bunch

think you had youngish enough lambs which can have a low k/o unless they were getting creep

still over average was good

• Advertisement

jt65 wrote: »
    think you had youngish enough lambs which can have a low k/o unless they were getting creep

still over average was good

True and all within a tight weight range so more or less got paid on the average weight. Think I'll set the weight at 46/47 kg now before letting them go from now on....

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eire23

First batch of the april born lambs gone here, lamb thrive suffered a bit as the grass management wasnt the best. Definatly something that needs to be worked on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Anyone get more than the €4.40 base the factories are quoting this week?

razor8 wrote: »
    Anyone get more than the €4.40 base the factories are quoting this week?

Put this in sheep photo thread, but thought it'd be better here

Lambs here put on 1.4kg/wk over the last 3wks.
    Depending on grade this wks lambs should make between 4.60-4.70, but it costs €2 transport (10c/kg) and we get well cut for going outside the specs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Put this in sheep photo thread, but thought it'd be better here

Lambs here put on 1.4kg/wk over the last 3wks.
    Depending on grade this wks lambs should make between 4.60-4.70, but it costs €2 transport (10c/kg) and we get well cut for going outside the specs

I have wide ranging grades here last lot had some r4 u4 and r2 in the batch as well as some over weight so I'd be screwed in group

Lambs are putting on weight here but some not fleshed enough so drafting at higher weights with 46kg minimum,
    after next week il have 2/3 of ram lambs gone so not a bad year so far

razor8 wrote: »
    I have wide ranging grades here last lot had some r4 u4 and r2 in the batch as well as some over weight so I'd be screwed in group

Lambs are putting on weight here but some not fleshed enough so drafting at higher weights with 46kg minimum,
    after next week il have 2/3 of ram lambs gone so not a bad year so far

Just comparing Liquithrive with Animax here this morning......liquithrive is €1 a dose Animax is €1.80
    In every dose
    Liqithrive has 15mg cobalt. Animax has 100mg
    Liquthrive has 36mg copper animax has 2000mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg iodine Animax has 470mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg selenium Animax has100mg

But that's all that's in Animax whereas Liquithrive has loads of different thrace elements as well so I suppose it depends on what your farm is low in, but 15mg cobalt will only last 3wks

Just comparing Liquithrive with Animax here this morning......liquithrive is €1 a dose Animax is €1.80
    In every dose
    Liqithrive has 15mg cobalt. Animax has 100mg
    Liquthrive has 36mg copper animax has 2000mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg iodine Animax has 470mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg selenium Animax has100mg

But that's all that's in Animax whereas Liquithrive has loads of different thrace elements as well so I suppose it depends on what your farm is low in, but 15mg cobalt will only last 3wks

Think testing is key really, I farm in low cobalt/selenium area and have a copper issue here that test results showed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Think testing is key really, I farm in low cobalt/selenium area and have a copper issue here that test results showed

How do u get the tests done . Is it a blood test by vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

sea12 wrote: »
    How do u get the tests done . Is it a blood test by vet?

Grass test, no?

• Advertisement

Grass test, no?[/

copper was a blood tests done by local vet

Advertisement