Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

ganmo wrote: »
    I do some data analysis in the off-farm job and the lamb price and sheep kill charts have caught my eye again in this week’s Journal.

Obviously the higher the kill the lower the price, but some of the artificial intelligence (AI) stuff we use can pick out other trends and patterns too.

Does anyone know where the numbers behind these two charts might be downloaded?

If I can get the data I’ll share anything useful on here that jumps out.

Thanks

Bord bia - industry- farmers - sheep prices - downloadable in excel

Thanks - I’ll have a look at it tomorrow

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 20 answerman12

Advice required-

Picked up 35 Horny Cheviot X ram lambs (Out of Hilltex Ewes) saturday for 68euro. Average Weight 37kg, heaviest one 47kg and lightest one 32kg. I think I will house the 40kg+ lambs to sell to factory mid October.
    Regarding the 25 lighter ones, should I start creeping now and finish some time near christmas? Or I was also thinking of leaving the 25 or so lambs out on grass from now untill Febuary and then finish them for the higher prices in April 2019?

Do you think we will see prices north of €6.50 next April again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I think we’ll see good prices next spring. The heavy lamb losses last spring here and in England has to catch up. Only thing is how scarce and expensive is fodder going to be at the same time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Any quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think we’ll see good prices next spring. The heavy lamb losses last spring here and in England has to catch up. Only thing is how scarce and expensive is fodder going to be at the same time ?

+1. I read somewhere that the UK prices are good for this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Advice required-

Picked up 35 Horny Cheviot X ram lambs (Out of Hilltex Ewes) saturday for 68euro. Average Weight 37kg, heaviest one 47kg and lightest one 32kg. I think I will house the 40kg+ lambs to sell to factory mid October.
    Regarding the 25 lighter ones, should I start creeping now and finish some time near christmas? Or I was also thinking of leaving the 25 or so lambs out on grass from now untill Febuary and then finish them for the higher prices in April 2019?

Do you think we will see prices north of €6.50 next April again?

Your problem might be the date Easter falls next year. I think it falls on the 21st of April, which is very late, you'd imagine that there would be even more early lambing men targeting this market as it would allow them to lamb that little bit later in the year and still have lambs fit by that date. It's three weeks later than Easter this year which would give men a chance to get lambs out. If spring lamb is available you'll not see price of hoggets at 6.50. You'd want to have them ready to go by Feb/Mar at the latest i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i cant see too many going lambing any earlier than februaury 1st. that would still be a big push to be slaughter fit by april 14-18th would take great bit of dry mild weather from paddys day on and still feeding creep which will be very dear this year.a lot of people got a bad doing lambing in early february this year, id say more will lamb from mid march on. plus there will need to be very few hoggets around because factories will take hoggets just as quick as spring lamb they dont seem to care anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i cant see too many going lambing any earlier than februaury 1st. that would still be a big push to be slaughter fit by april 14-18th would take great bit of dry mild weather from paddys day on and still feeding creep which will be very dear this year.a lot of people got a bad doing lambing in early february this year, id say more will lamb from mid march on. plus there will need to be very few hoggets around because factories will take hoggets just as quick as spring lamb they dont seem to care anymore
    Ramadan starts May 5th next year with Easter only 2 week earlier, would you not want to be lambing mid/late January?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah you would. every january i say to myself thank god im not lambing yet, brutal weather and the shortness of daylight means every job with sheep can be a struggle. i always find a huge difference between say february20th and january 15th. you have brighness from 6.30 am to 6 ppm in late feb

Your problem might be the date Easter falls next year. I think it falls on the 21st of April, which is very late, you'd imagine that there would be even more early lambing men targeting this market as it would allow them to lamb that little bit later in the year and still have lambs fit by that date. It's three weeks later than Easter this year which would give men a chance to get lambs out. If spring lamb is available you'll not see price of hoggets at 6.50. You'd want to have them ready to go by Feb/Mar at the latest i reckon.

Cheers for the reply, I see where you're coming from, best thing to do is keep them alive for now and make a decision in January to finish for Febuary or gamble until April.
    For April lambs, would I still get the spring lamb price in January?

• Advertisement

Any quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Willfarman wrote: »
    Any quotes?

€4.80

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sold some ewe lambs during the week
    47kg 109
    46kg 110

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sold some ewe lambs during the week
    47kg 109
    46kg 110
    Nice money..what breed were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    Nice money..what breed were they?

109 were suffolky
    110 were speckled.
    Lambs a very sticky trafe at the minute. They had nice heads which is worth a lot too

Any sign on Factories moving to 22kg?

They’ll have them back another 30 cent before they do that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Got 130 for ewelambs last week @41kg

ganmo wrote: »
    Got 130 for ewelambs last week @41kg
    Be the lord. What were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Generally a false economy waiting for this unless you are understocked or have cheap finishing source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Willfarman wrote: »
    Be the lord. What were they?

Chev x suff

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

got 140 for milfords but they were very fancy

Box09 wrote: »
    Generally a false economy waiting for this unless you are understocked or have cheap finishing source.

A bit understocked at the moment. Surpluses of grass due to halfing our cattle stock last Autumn. In a position where I could get some Lambs to 48kg without too much extra cost.
    I happened to miss some Suffolk crosses and after weighing them this morning there is 8 of them sitting at 49-52 Kg. Apart from gifting the factory free meat tomorrow, will they penalise me much for overweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

A bit understocked at the moment. Surpluses of grass due to halfing our cattle stock last Autumn. In a position where I could get some Lambs to 48kg without too much extra cost.
    I happened to miss some Suffolk crosses and after weighing them this morning there is 8 of them sitting at 49-52 Kg. Apart from gifting the factory free meat tomorrow, will they penalise me much for overweight?

most lambs i see going to factory are over weight
    they must be making a fortune with the extra weight
    i wonder if the retailer get,s a 25kg lamb does he get it
    at a cheaper price would doubt it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Think we all know the answer to that. Shir isn’t the majority of it chopped up before it leaves the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

Any quotes for this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They want them 21kg, can't really expect them to pay for more

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Got 4 80 friday 82 lambs came into 93 euro, wonder will the price harden a bit next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    They want them 21kg, can't really expect them to pay for more

Agree but very hard to know exactly what kg LW will give you 21kg DW and you definately don't want to come in under the 21kgs either so it's very hard to win with the factory 😢

At least with the Mart you can say no of your not happy with what your getting

Advertisement