Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 answerman12

On the phone today to Kepak Athleague, €4.65 + 5 cents QA and paying for 22kg. Must be good numbers of Lambs heading in, when will we see the tough spring yield higher lamb prices? January?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

On the phone today to Kepak Athleague, €4.65 + 5 cents QA and paying for 22kg. Must be good numbers of Lambs heading in, when will we see the tough spring yield higher lamb prices? January?

Yea, down another 10c since monday..... ICM quoted 4.60 +10 yesterday on the indo and are quoting 450 +10 on the journal tomorrow apparently.

Race to the bottom so...feck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, down another 10c since monday..... ICM quoted 4.60 +10 yesterday on the indo and are quoting 450 +10 on the journal tomorrow apparently.

Race to the bottom so...feck

I think we've reached the bottom when you get statements like the following from the factories:

(1) Brian Delaney, Kepak, “A lot of beef lads on a downer at the moment, but what goes around comes around. Look it lads keep the head down and plug away, the thing will improve"

(2) Seamus Finucane, Kildare Chilling, told the IFA National Hill Forum in Westport that "direct access to China would add 80c/kg to the price farmers get for their lamb."

Both taken from Twitter in the last two days.

These lads have stopped even trying to hide their lack of respect for farmers. Would the factories be so condescending if they had anything to fear from our representatives?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the only thing that will leave the lambs better is a hard brexit. when northern lambs cant come south that should leave them scarce. can u imagine the dearth of supplies if we took away the amount of northern lambs in the republic factories?

I think we've reached the bottom when you get statements like the following from the factories:

(1) Brian Delaney, Kepak, “A lot of beef lads on a downer at the moment, but what goes around comes around. Look it lads keep the head down and plug away, the thing will improve"

(2) Seamus Finucane, Kildare Chilling, told the IFA National Hill Forum in Westport that "direct access to China would add 80c/kg to the price farmers get for their lamb."

These lads have stopped even trying to hide their lack of respect for farmers. Would the factories be so condescending if they had anything to fear from our representatives?

What's the answer, withdraw supplies and cause a bigger glut of heavy lambs in October.
    Only answer is, like some do on here, target times of the year that prices are better. September to november is the bottom of the market, It's also the peak months of supply of english lamb too

• Advertisement

What's the answer, withdraw supplies and cause a bigger glut of heavy lambs in October.
    Only answer is, like some do on here, target times of the year that prices are better. September to november is the bottom of the market, It's also the peak months of supply of english lamb too

No simple answer but silence from our reps makes things harder to take.

Coincidentally we’ve decided to have all lambs gone by mid-July next year. Whatever’s fit will be gone to the factory and the rest will go to the mart as stores. No point trying to finish small numbers and the price dropping every week.

Would it be OK to dip ewes at the end of Sept?

Between one thing and another we didn’t get a chance to dip them before now and won’t have them in again for another few weeks.

Would it be OK to dip ewes at the end of Sept?

Between one thing and another we didn’t get a chance to dip them before now and won’t have them in again for another few weeks.

I get a fella in to "Dip" our ewes with a Jet spray operation, €1 a sheep (Minimum 150 ewes) at the end of September most years, been working fine for us. Any longer however and it may become an issue, maybe try not to do it too close to your mating period.

Is anyone buying stores, and if so what prices?
    Currently setting up finishing pens in the barn, have 40 stores on pasture at the moment and hope to get another 40 in the next 2 weeks, leaving them on pasture untill mid November and finishing in house ad lib then.
    Also thinking of spreading some Nitrogen throughout the Paddock this evening in the hope of some late Autumn grass growth, anyone else doing this?

No simple answer but silence from our reps makes things harder to take.

Coincidentally we’ve decided to have all lambs gone by mid-July next year. Whatever’s fit will be gone to the factory and the rest will go to the mart as stores. No point trying to finish small numbers and the price dropping every week.

I'm sure there's plenty of press releases going out around the country, but as you know only the IFJ will publish them ....farmers complaining is no longer news

I get a fella in to "Dip" our ewes with a Jet spray operation, €1 a sheep (Minimum 150 ewes) at the end of September most years, been working fine for us. Any longer however and it may become an issue, maybe try not to do it too close to your mating period.

Currently setting up finishing pens in the barn, have 40 stores on pasture at the moment and hope to get another 40 in the next 2 weeks, leaving them on pasture untill mid November and finishing in house ad lib then.
    Also thinking of spreading some Nitrogen throughout the Paddock this evening in the hope of some late Autumn grass growth, anyone else doing this?

Yea going to do it the end of the mth, got a great kick from Nitrogen spread first week in August when we had only 4 days grass ahead, we have have 41 days ahead now.
    I wouldn't like to dip any later than late Sept but during teh compulsory dipping they were dipped in to Nov

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. Will be leaving rams beside ewes on 1-Oct to try get ram effect and then leaving rams into them on 16-Oct. Is dipping on say 28-Sept too close to this? Is it worth bringing them in earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thanks for the replies. Will be leaving rams beside ewes on 1-Oct to try get ram effect and then leaving rams into them on 16-Oct. Is dipping on say 28-Sept too close to this? Is it worth bringing them in earlier?

Dipping wont make a difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Do you mind if ask what weights do you buy em at?

And what the costs of finishing them would be?

I would have said you’d need to go well after Christmas to get a good price for them - but that’s a while in the shed...

I'm sure there's plenty of press releases going out around the country, but as you know only the IFJ will publish them ....farmers complaining is no longer news

We sending lambs in the morning, and have to go with the groups lambs to the factory....so a long day ahead
    Just looked back to last year, it was the same price this week last year so shouldn't be surprised I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

We sending lambs in the morning, and have to go with the groups lambs to the factory....so a long day ahead
    Just looked back to last year, it was the same price this week last year so shouldn't be surprised I suppose

IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20180912173345
    slightly back according to BB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

looking at the bb prices they're no worse off this year up most categories up 1.3%
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ganmo wrote: »
    looking at the bb prices they're no worse off this year up most categories up 1.3%
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

Hopes of a lift after this week according to one source

Do you mind if ask what weights do you buy em at?

And what the costs of finishing them would be?

I would have said you’d need to go well after Christmas to get a good price for them - but that’s a while in the shed...

Buy a mix of weights to finish throughout different times of the season, will be finishing an early lot in October/November, another lot in December/January and a late lot in Febuary/March. Buying more lambs this weekend around 23kg, housing them in december to finish and sell by Febuary.

A friend passed on this Store Lamb Finishing calculator which is good for estimating margins and dates, made by Teagasc, but try and be as conservative as possible and realistic with the prices. Have a play around with it and see might there be money in it!

Factory are getting a lot of lambs, probably another drop next week.
    Our Lambs are coughing a lot so OH asked the vet to look at he lungs but they were perfect.
    When we get them in, you'd think they were going to choke.
    Vet just said that the dry summer caused a lot of problems.
    Lambs are thriving well, should be rid of them all in a fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

In Ballyhaunis this morning and not a big number of lambs in it........has anyone else seen what sort of numbers are in factories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Weighed lambs I bought 3 weeks ago today some are up on 52kg there weighing very well considering no feed rang the local butcher and secured €110 for every ram lamb 50kg+ not bad having paid an average off €92 for them rest are all 47-50kg might run them on another fortnight and sell till same butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lambman wrote: »
    Weighed lambs I bought 3 weeks ago today some are up on 52kg there weighing very well considering no feed rang the local butcher and secured €110 for every ram lamb 50kg+ not bad having paid an average off €92 for them rest are all 47-50kg might run them on another fortnight and sell till same butcher.
    No butcher around here would buy a ram lamb at this stage. But I seen a few millers of ram labs 57kg in Tullow last week @ 110€.

Willfarman wrote: »
    No butcher around here would buy a ram lamb at this stage. But I seen a few millers of ram labs 57kg in Tullow last week @ 110€.

I don't know how any one eats ram lambs from now on, we only use our own lambs in the freezer here to ensure quality and they have to be vendeens as well

What kind of penalties are got by sending lambs underfat or overfat?

What kind of penalties are got by sending lambs underfat or overfat?

If they're not making you aware of any penalties apart from overweight they can't really penalize you.
    We're paid based on grade and are penalised on over fat but we got €5.00/kg for Us so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose
    You have to be weighing weekly when they're thriving well when you're paid on grade

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Seen dirty lambs sent home in navan today, in fairness the man who had them made no effort to dag them, clean lamb policy kicking in big time from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

What are 45kgs speckled Texel ewe lambs making in the marts at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »

105-112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

45 kgs in baltinglass were making very tops of €90. Suffol cheviot cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

100 tops around here for nice ewe lambs, doesnt seem to be as good a premium for nice ewe lambs this year as others

Advertisement