Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

went with 11 hampshire down cross lambs last night , born april 47-50 kg. times like now im delighted with HD cross lambs all great fat cover without meal. brilliant breed for easy finsh in shoulders of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Dickie10 wrote: »
    went with 11 hampshire down cross lambs last night , born april 47-50 kg. times like now im delighted with HD cross lambs all great fat cover without meal. brilliant breed for easy finsh in shoulders of the year

What ewes they out off? Bought a down for some horned ewes this yr to see how i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

llyn x and suffolk x

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Got €4.80 today in Kildare after a long discussion. We would be bringing lambs there every 10-14 days 10 months of the year tho :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

How did you get on today?

93 euro for 45.5Kg ewe lambs
    95 euro for 45kg wether lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

arctictree wrote:
    93 euro for 45.5Kg ewe lambs 95 euro for 45kg wether lambs

You did well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ard_mc was wondering about that cross aswell as I started buying in horned ewes till breed replacements but have more than enough kept this year so was gonna throw the texel with them but was wondering what the cross outta the HD would be like..?

Lambman wrote: »
    Ard_mc was wondering about that cross aswell as I started buying in horned ewes till breed replacements but have more than enough kept this year so was gonna throw the texel with them but was wondering what the cross outta the HD would be like..?

Well i bought a very good Hampshire down and imo a texel of the same quality would have cost a hell of alot more. Most of my sheep are bred pure for the hills but probably will tip 40 draft ewes with him and keep on the lowland.

I wonder what the lambs off the cross would look like? I'd imagine they'd be a longer and taller lamb than the texel cross whatever about ease off finishing... pm me were u bought him and money paid please.

I wonder what the lambs off the cross would look like? I'd imagine they'd be a longer and taller lamb than the texel cross whatever about ease off finishing... pm me were u bought him and money paid please.

If the lads are gettin them up to near 50kg of llyen ewe on grass, a good horned won't be far behind. Will be an experiment for a yr or 2 anyhow!

Will pm you later the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

How are prices going at the moment.
    Anyone sell in mart this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Sami23 wrote: »
    How are prices going at the moment.
    Anyone sell in mart this week ?

Stores are selling very well sold 37kg for E85, 40kg ewe lambs for E91 this week. Heavy lambs poor trade have to be very good heavy lamb up in the weights to reach 100, neighbour had 49kg meal fed weathers E98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The heavy lambs aren’t that plentiful I think they’ll improve next week but unfortunately all thrive will be out of the bag from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Willfarman wrote: »
    The heavy lambs aren’t that plentiful I think they’ll improve next week but unfortunately all thrive will be out of the bag from here on.

Was thinking the same as I walked the paddocks today. I rang two different suppliers and priced bagged meal. €310 & €320 a tonne. Need factory quotes to raise a bit to cover that.

Everything away here thinking on buying ewe lambs again say 35kg would you pick them up for €65- €70? All will be killed so not looking any hogget makers

Decent quality ewe lamb 35kg will cost you closer to 80.

Fine margains then considering they will need meal from now on and have till vaccinated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fine margains then considering they will need meal from now on and have till vaccinated.

5 -10 Euro was my rough calculation last year. And that’s being semi-optimistic

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Any quotes for this week?

Sold 10 ewe lambs yesterday. 49kgs > 102 euro.
    That was about as good as it got tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Kepak supposedly pulled them 5 cents today.

Yeah heard the same alright. I have good few lambs in around 42kg thinking of bringing a few to mart next week see how they go, stores are flying at the min and no point in me drawing meal to lambs to hope to get 100 for them when their fit if 90 or more is available as a store

Yeah heard the same alright. I have good few lambs in around 42kg thinking of bringing a few to mart next week see how they go, stores are flying at the min and no point in me drawing meal to lambs to hope to get 100 for them when their fit if 90 or more is available as a store

You won't get 90euro for 42kg at the moment I'm afraid. 84 to 86 maby but please let us know how you get on with them

Sami23 wrote: »
    You won't get 90euro for 42kg at the moment I'm afraid. 84 to 86 maby

Father sold lambs in mart tuesday 39kg E90, 37kg E85 both lots mix of ewe and weather lambs, neighbour had 43kg E95... Killed some of my own here last thursday all 46kg upwards came into E99 doesnt make sense but stores aren't far behind fats around here at the min.

That's good money your father got early riser.... have been at 3 marts in 6 days and never bought a lamb stores mad money doesn't make sense till me... have till agree with you on the fat lambs not making much more than forward stores. Fat ewe trade still going strong aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

What would nice ewe lambs 50kg be making in mart don’t really want to kill them they are we’ll dosed and vaccinated twice

What would nice ewe lambs 50kg be making in mart don’t really want to kill them they are we’ll dosed and vaccinated twice

Very likely the mart buyer will kill them anyway.

Around 105 euro unless a couple of farmers got into a bidding war

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Anyone know what they're paying for lambs in ICM Navan?

• Advertisement

clonagh wrote: »
    Anyone know what they're paying for lambs in ICM Navan?

Both icm plants on 4.50+10c this week, dont know if any improvement for next week

Advertisement