Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Ye I've sold half my ewes and would of sold them all only for the prices are so bad for breeding ewes . Not many people keeping sheep around me anymore , I've two uncles that had massive numbers that will be out in the next 3 or 4 years regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

farming93 wrote: »
    Ye I've sold half my ewes and would of sold them all only for the prices are so bad for breeding ewes . Not many people keeping sheep around me anymore , I've two uncles that had massive numbers that will be out in the next 3 or 4 years regardless.

I'm getting great success selling sheep equipment on Done deal......mainly new entrants, never have the ad up more than a few days. I suppose they're the cheapest way to stock land with reasonable hope of profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I suppose the way to look at it is we’ll get good years again. Most of this will be forgotten. However it doesn’t bode well for the industry overall. Messing from the likes of Larry, flooding the markets over the winter months will do nothing in the long term but reduce the amount of people producing lamb. where will he get his raw material from then ? Easier and better lively hoods to be made elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what happens post brexit when lamb is expensive to bring in from the north and the like of northern England marts such as Carlisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was in roscrea mart yesterday. From what things were making yesterday, I’m guessing €106 max, as long as their good fleshy lowland sheep. Less for anything hilly

Edit, doesn’t seem much farmer interest for anything

I'D chance the mart if you have specked ones, ya never know your luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    I'D chance the mart if you have specked ones, ya never know your luck.

111 for heavy lambs in athenry in journal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what happens post brexit when lamb is expensive to bring in from the north and the like of northern England marts such as Carlisle?

In the short term i think cattle going to get cheap and lamb is going to get dear. We alrwady seen it with some great prices for lambs at the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sold wether lambs in mart today.
    52kgs - 105euro.
    Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

4.90 ICM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambs must be getting scarce 2 phone calls yesterda looking for lambs till fill out loads promised €5 without QA... have none ready though.

• Advertisement

Box09 wrote: »
    4.90 ICM
    I got and accepted 4. 85 /kg for camolin , are you in a group by any chance ?

farming93 wrote:
    I got and accepted 4. 85 /kg for camolin , are you in a group by any chance ?

No. Play hard ball with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lambman wrote: »
    Lambs must be getting scarce 2 phone calls yesterda looking for lambs till fill out loads promised €5 without QA... have none ready though.

Planning for Christmas already I’d guess

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

4 90 was freely available in navan today

4 90 was freely available in navan today

Of they are paying 4.90 there is 5euro to be had by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Of they are paying 4.90 there is 5euro to be had by some.

We killed the last of our ram lambs there yesterday, some rubbishy ones mixed with them I was glad to get them away at 4 90 to be honest, only have 30 ewe lambs left now from nearly 2 thousand lambs sold will let them lie on with the replacements til the spring

Got 106 euro for 52kgs in the mart today. Happy as my best price all year.

5.00 in ICM this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Good trade in Tullow yesterday, fat lambs making 60-62 over, forward stores 45-50 over and light stores 30-40 over, new buyer putting a light under the regulars for fat sheep.

Carnew seems to have had a good trade Thursday, what are the thoughts will prices stay up till next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Any price for cull ewes, good heavy ewes.

farming93 wrote: »
    Carnew seems to have had a good trade Thursday, what are the thoughts will prices stay up till next year ?
    If numbers appear they will drop, I think they did that last year but it didn't last long. Demand and supply is the rule of thumb. If the losses in the spring are to be believed lambs might be scare enough.

If numbers appear they will drop, I think they did that last year but it didn't last long. Demand and supply is the rule of thumb. If the losses in the spring are to be believed lambs might be scare enough.

Every year larry plugs any shortages with imports from England. However this year they appear to be just as scarce across the water.

Any quotes for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

I heard 5 euro up to 22.5kg over the wend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭148multi

Sami23 wrote: »
    I heard 5 euro up to 22.5kg over the wend

5.05 kepak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

5:10 in Kildare inc.QA for this morning.That's to 22.5 KG

5:10 in Kildare inc.QA for this morning.That's to 22.5 KG
    Should be making more, lambs are scarce,

wrangler wrote: »
    Should be making more, lambs are scarce,

They’ll struggle to plug the gap from England this year. We might see a true reflection of what the price should be every year. Especially when we’ve to fire hugely expensive concentrates into finishing lambs.

• Advertisement

They’ll struggle to plug the gap from England this year. We might see a true reflection of what the price should be every year. Especially when we’ve to fire hugely expensive concentrates into finishing lambs.

A lot of losses this spring in England, whether it's enough to make a difference or not, as usual we're depending on someone elses' catastrophe,
    Last time we were paid properly for lambs was the English Foot and mouth

Advertisement