Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    A lot of losses this spring in England, whether it's enough to make a difference or not, as usual we're depending on someone elses' catastrophe,
    Last time we were paid properly for lambs was the English Foot and mouth

Sad, but true

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Got a text from tullow mart looking for store lambs over 40kg and ram lambs over 32kg for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Got a text from tullow mart looking for store lambs over 40kg and ram lambs over 32kg for tomorrow

thats a nice bit of notice isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Got quoted €5.15 a kg. Any idea what we’ll fleshed cull ewes are making ?

Lads, what k.o percentages can I expect to get out of finished lambs. Have a good layer of fat as getting near 1kg of meal over last 4-6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lads, what k.o percentages can I expect to get out of finished lambs. Have a good layer of fat as getting near 1kg of meal over last 4-6 weeks.

We'd be getting 48 -50% of empty weight when they're 6 weeks on ad lib,
    They'd be weighed after being three hrs starved in a yard, They'd have no balls or tails either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Got quoted €5.15 a kg. Any idea what we’ll fleshed cull ewes are making ?

That s some jump. Lambs must be scarce .!

kk.man wrote: »
    That s some jump. Lambs must be scarce .!

Got 5.20. Price is going to sky rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Was offered that Friday, even when told them someone going into hospital this week was out, said are you sure can’t bring some

Cran wrote: »
    Was offered that Friday, even when told them someone going into hospital this week was out, said are you sure can’t bring some

I can remember a few months ago ringing factory buyers mobile when they were plentiful and if the factory was full up, they wouldn’t answer their phone.

• Advertisement

I can remember a few months ago ringing factory buyers mobile when they were plentiful and if the factory was full up, they wouldn’t answer their phone.

A neighbor finishes thousands of lambs and has sheds full at the moment. 2 factories came to him with supply agreements. They said they’d pay an extra 20/30c a kg on top of the quote to hold them until a certain month

A neighbor finishes thousands of lambs and has sheds full at the moment. 2 factories came to him with supply agreements. They said they’d pay an extra 20/30c a kg on top of the quote to hold them until a certain month

If they're referring to the quotes on IFJ/indo they'd be better to keep their options open, because that'd be available anyway. They're always acting the brat on those quotes, ICM especially
    Today the quotes are 4.80/4.90, you're talking about getting 5.20. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Is that to 22.5?

razor8 wrote: »
    Is that to 22.5?

Some are paying to 23kg......or so I'm told, Shouldn't believe the Lords Prayer outa some don't ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

5.10 to 22.5kg was paid by icm today for a largish bunch of lambs but most of us mortals were in at 5.00. However the lairage was empty and lambs were going straight from the trailer to the line. Great to see and interstimg times ahead.

Our farther who art in heaven ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Got a phone call last Friday till go till the mart on Saturday and buy lambs between 40kg and factory weight for a dealer who couldn't make it so they knew this was coming and I'd imagine that's it's gonna be on the up for a while... left him a near 13k bill on Saturday so I won't be back for him if price doesn't hold haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Lambman wrote: »
    Got a phone call last Friday till go till the mart on Saturday and buy lambs between 40kg and factory weight for a dealer who couldn't make it so they knew this was coming and I'd imagine that's it's gonna be on the up for a while... left him a near 13k bill on Saturday so I won't be back for him if price doesn't hold haha.
    Imagine if he planted you with that bill and said he never asked you to buy them for him wouldn't you be sick haha

Tried to buy stores for friend last few weeks. Prices are gone through the roof

32kg making 80 plus & nothing special

I was given a heads up on what he was happy till pay and how many he needed so I'd say he's happy he got them... I actually know he's happy he got them I'd say lamb will hit €5.5 per 22kg or if they start paying till 23kg the equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Will that be long term or just in the run up to Christmas do you think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

farming93 wrote: »
    Will that be long term or just in the run up to Christmas do you think ?

they'll try to pull back after christmas

Lambman wrote: »
    I was given a heads up on what he was happy till pay and how many he needed so I'd say he's happy he got them... I actually know he's happy he got them I'd say lamb will hit €5.5 per 22kg or if they start paying till 23kg the equivalent.

You must of Bought every Lamb in mart

Bought 134... most I give was €105 for 48.2kg ewe lambs rest were lighter and a good few ram lambs aswell

Any quotes for prices next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Have a few store lambs left. From 25-40kg. What sort of price are they going. Have no grass to finish

Oldira wrote: »
    Have a few store lambs left. From 25-40kg. What sort of price are they going. Have no grass to finish

What breeds? What part of country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if u could i would shed them on straw or peat and build up to ad lib with hay and plenty of clean fresh water

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Have a collection of lambs here as well.. was thinking of selling the small ones (25-30kg) as stores but with the prices rising i am tempted to keep at them.
    Some have small frame so hard to know the best thing to do..
    Lambs wont b coming in as need silage and straw for ewes..
    Then again if i can get a reasonable price at mart be better off in the bank and fatten the decent frame ones here..
    Hard to know..

eorna wrote: »
    Have a collection of lambs here as well.. was thinking of selling the small ones (25-30kg) as stores but with the prices rising i am tempted to keep at them.
    Some have small frame so hard to know the best thing to do..
    Lambs wont b coming in as need silage and straw for ewes..
    Then again if i can get a reasonable price at mart be better off in the bank and fatten the decent frame ones here..
    Hard to know..

Hard to know is right, you'd need a crystal ball, I can't believe there isn't a lot of lambs out there with the turn people got outa them last year.
    Less lambs killed this year, are they still out there or were they killed in the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

wrangler wrote: »
    Hard to know is right, you'd need a crystal ball, I can't believe there isn't a lot of lambs out there with the turn people got outa them last year.
    Less lambs killed this year, are they still out there or were they killed in the snow.

I think there was a lot of losses between snow, droughts... a hard year...
    it hasnt reflected yet but surely they will have to be scarce sometime...maybe we will see it from now on...(uk got bad beating too so be harder for factories to keep that tap flowing..)
    Crystal ball be handy alright...
    Still scratching my head over what to do with the runts...

Advertisement