Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Same price as above in navan today

Better than the beef trade at the moment,
    Outlook seems to be good too for sheep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »

The Journal claimed last week that a hard Brexit could reduce supply of lambs from Northern Ireland and "present difficulties" for processors (or some sort of wording like that).

That could only be good for farmers ;)

Or would processors just let throughput fall rather than pay more to farmers? I don't think supermarkets would make their customers pay more for lamb so demand might fall overall?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

I read someplace that without the northern lamb one of the factories would have to close and that would not be so good if sheep stayed the same price that have been for the last year they would be all right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I read someplace that without the northern lamb one of the factories would have to close and that would not be so good if sheep stayed the same price that have been for the last year they would be all right

These things usually work themselves out. Without the excess lambs from England, factories would have to pay us more money for our lamb as they use the imported lamb to flood the markets when the need arises. Other side of that is the demand would reduce as we wouldn’t be selling the lambs back in to the uk supermarkets. But other flip side is there wouldn’t be any uk lambs on the French shelves to compete with ours. Overall, who knows what’s going to happen. Just get on with things and control what we can control and trust the rest will work itself out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

What prices are ewes making these days? Have a few scanned empty that I need to be rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

wrangler wrote: »

Yea the sheep trade is holding up, thank God we didn't buy heifers for finishing this year (because of the drought) I do think if ya like working with with sheep and have a good system they are hard bet as a farm enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Will factories be fussy about weights in the Spring? I bought store lambs for the first time so a little clueless about selling. All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yea the sheep trade is holding up, thank God we didn't buy heifers for finishing this year (because of the drought) I do think if ya like working with with sheep and have a good system they are hard bet as a farm enterprise

I just cant imagine being fully sheep. Hard enough with 7 ewes/acre in sprimg and autumn. Need a mix in my opinion

Will factories be fussy about weights in the Spring? I bought store lambs for the first time so a little clueless about selling. All advice appreciated.

Factories usually pay to a maximum dead-weight of 22kg, perhaps even 23kg. Based on a 45% kill-out, the lambs should be 45-50kg live-weight.

How fussy they are depends on how plentiful lambs/hoggets are! If supplies are scarce, they're less likely to whinge about anything. But who knows if supplies will be scarce or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I just cant imagine being fully sheep. Hard enough with 7 ewes/acre in sprimg and autumn. Need a mix in my opinion

No wonder it is hard. 7 ewes and lambs an acre is massive stocking rate. Won’t be making any fodder at that rate. Isaac Crilly operates at 6/acre but feeds all concentrated & straw. Getting a spring like last year would be torture

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    No wonder it is hard. 7 ewes and lambs an acre is massive stocking rate. Won’t be making any fodder at that rate. Isaac Crilly operates at 6/acre but feeds all concentrated & straw. Getting a spring like last year would be torture

I’m struggling to keep them fed on 1/2 that stocking rate, be it on mixed land. You’d want top class land worked right to keep that going i’d imagine.

7 ewes an acre must come with huge costs, most we had was 5, dropped back to 4 an acre now and everything is much easier, still have 800 ewes outside here and most will be staying out for lambing once the weather plays ball, but I agree about the mix, we usually summer finish heifers for that reason

Supposedly better for soil to have different types of grazing animals too. Don’t think the same internal worms affect sheep and cattle either, so alternating them helps “clean” the grass for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

razor8 wrote: »

Hectare :D my bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Hectare :D my bad :rolleyes:

You had us all excited that you had come up with a new magic formula for making farming pay

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Burrenfarmer99

Sold 6 today 43kg 106

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sold 6 today 43kg 106

Ennis?

Was going to go with a couple empty ewe lambs and culls but hadn't them sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got 114 euro for 51kgs last week.

Anyone know what good 2/3yr old in lamb ewes are making scanned in lamb?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanned in lamb carrying what? There €40 a head give or take difference on singles and twins. Singles probably €130-140 twins €170-180... cheapest way till buy sheep IMO... bringing in disease would be my only worry.

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    Scanned in lamb carrying what? There €40 a head give or take difference on singles and twins. Singles probably €130-140 twins €170-180... cheapest way till buy sheep IMO... bringing in disease would be my only worry.
    Well normally see lads selling ewes say scanned 1.8, yea wouldnt be going bear a mart I'd be on the look out if a lad was cutting back, etc buy them off the one farm, better than trying to buy cattle anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Lambman wrote: »
    Partial Clearance sale in Tullow last Tuesday. Remainder next week
    Doubles up to 190

Couple of small lots carrying 3s sold as low as 140

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Agree with u there sheep farmer... your only buying someone else's bother buying in mart. As far as I see any hoggets scanned in lamb being sold in mart around here are hoggets farmers couldn't sell in September. Usually farmers who just run on lambs till sell as hoggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Any stir on prices for the coming week?

Being quoted 5:20 to 23kgs which is what they seem to be for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Any stir on prices for the coming week?

Being quoted 5:20 to 23kgs which is what they seem to be for the last couple of weeks.

Seems to be as good as can be got.. quoted the same for lambs going in the morning

Seems to be as good as can be got.. quoted the same for lambs going in the morning

Wonder what numbers going through Marts and factories are like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Wonder what numbers going through Marts and factories are like ?

https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/sheep/Pages/Supply.aspx

2018 was 1% down on 2017
    No figures for 2019 yet

ganmo wrote: »

I haven’t been in a mart or factory yet this year, just wondering if numbers on the ground are getting scarce. A few days of half empty lairages might help move the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Appearently any fat lambs in Carnew last Thursday would be bringing the equivalent of 5.50 kg deadweight I’m informed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Appearently any fat lambs in Carnew last Thursday would be bringing the equivalent of 5.50 kg deadweight I’m informed.

Advertisement