Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    Just comparing Liquithrive with Animax here this morning......liquithrive is €1 a dose Animax is €1.80
    In every dose
    Liqithrive has 15mg cobalt. Animax has 100mg
    Liquthrive has 36mg copper animax has 2000mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg iodine Animax has 470mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg selenium Animax has100mg

But that's all that's in Animax whereas Liquithrive has loads of different thrace elements as well so I suppose it depends on what your farm is low in, but 15mg cobalt will only last 3wks

Massive differences there, how long do liquithrive claim it will last for

Read up a bit about deficiency and posted on BFF and few claiming cosecure are a very good bullet and works better in high moly areas which we are here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lowland store lambs 35 kg bringing €72 in carnew on Thursday. Yet 48kg nice Charolais ewe lambs at 92€. Are prospects looking good for end of year/ new year or will there be tears!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

€72 plus transportation home. Dosing, possible injections etc, putting on grass, nuts, silage,then the odd one keeling over, transportation back to mart, then mart fees, for a possible €90-100 at Xmas. We can all guess the answer to that question

Buying stores in November and keeping until march/April when they are scarce is only way that will pay, doesn't suit many set ups tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

was in local supermarket earlier (very very rare occurrence)

notice a shelf with to day's bargains

2 loin lamb chops in a tray ...€24.68 per kg

will be booking in lambs later on, must inquire where the €20/kg goes to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Just comparing Liquithrive with Animax here this morning......liquithrive is €1 a dose Animax is €1.80
    In every dose
    Liqithrive has 15mg cobalt. Animax has 100mg
    Liquthrive has 36mg copper animax has 2000mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg iodine Animax has 470mg
    Liquithrive has 3mg selenium Animax has100mg

But that's all that's in Animax whereas Liquithrive has loads of different thrace elements as well so I suppose it depends on what your farm is low in, but 15mg cobalt will only last 3wks

rangler, do you give these to the ewes before letting with the ram?
    we had a lot of poor lambs this year, trying to get it right this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eire23

jfh wrote: »

I gave boluses to my ewes this year at the same time as i gave heptavac p before lambing on ranglers advice. Definatly seemed worthwhile imo, and lambs are getting the benefit of it through the milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

If your lambs are small, you should examine the ewes feeding in the last 6 weeks before lambing, the lamb does most of his growing in the last 6wks
    I give Animax to ewe lambs and hogget ewes a month before mating, but the older ewes are usually in good condition then and I don't give them any at that time.
    I do all the ewes a month before they lamb, It definitely has benefits then, livelier lambs, and the minerals passed on in the milk.
    We've high molybdenum soil and also prone to iodine and cobalt deficiencies, so other farms might get away with less dosing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

jt65 wrote: »
    was in local supermarket earlier (very very rare occurrence)

notice a shelf with to day's bargains

2 loin lamb chops in a tray ...€24.68 per kg

will be booking in lambs later on, must inquire where the €20/kg goes to

Would you really like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

eire23 wrote: »
    I gave boluses to my ewes this year at the same time as i gave heptavac p before lambing on ranglers advice. Definatly seemed worthwhile imo, and lambs are getting the benefit of it through the milk.

we always give them covexin 8, used heptavac before, you think it better?

• Advertisement

Covexin 8 doesn't cover pasturella pneumonia, which can be a problem in some flocks.
    We've had to change to covexin 10 because we were losing them to a new disease called sordelli (sp), so we have to use Ovipast now for pneumonia as well.
    ''Intensive farming intensifies problem''....ain't that a fact:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

Just be told expect a fall in price towards end of the week :(

Cran wrote: »

You'd imagine that with all the big kills over the last few weeks, that supply would be starting to dwindle

Cant really comment on that, using heptavac here this long time.
    Regarding these diseases, a good saying i heard lately was "a sheeps worst enemy is another sheep"

That tallys alright, have 65 going thursday. looking at last years kill sheets got 4.70 on the 15th of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20140819133318

the bord bia prices always seem a bit behind those getting given out but the trends are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Covexin 8 doesn't cover pasturella pneumonia, which can be a problem in some flocks.
    We've had to change to covexin 10 because we were losing them to a new disease called sordelli (sp), so we have to use Ovipast now for pneumonia as well.
    ''Intensive farming intensifies problem''....ain't that a fact:(

thinking of changing from heptavac p plus

can you give Cov.10 and Ovipast at the same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

ganmo wrote: »
    IrelandLambmeatPricesYTD1.gif?guid=20140819133318

the bord bia prices always seem a bit behind those getting given out but the trends are the same.

Interesting we're behind last years prices, I would have swore we were 5/10c ahead :o

yes

Heptavac p came up in our discussion group recently. the most experienced member of the group , told us that he stopped using heptavac p as felt it was too hard on his ewes.

• Advertisement

Interesting we're behind last years prices, I would have swore we were 5/10c ahead :o

I wonder how many "" not regular "" sheep/ store lamb buyers, have seen the above graph ?

Heptavac p came up in our discussion group recently. the most experienced member of the group , told us that he stopped using heptavac p as felt it was too hard on his ewes.

thats just mad conclusion

heard a guy giving out about the kill out of his lambs, was asked did he weigh them to which he answered he didnt even own one!

razor8 wrote: »
    thats just mad conclusion

![/QUOTE

I can only tell you a conclusion that one experienced man came to in relation to his own flock. Nothing more or nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Back to lamb prices. What are breeding ewe lambs making in mart. Have some Charolais cross ones. Don't know to send to factory or sell as ewe lambs.,

sea12 wrote: »
    Back to lamb prices. What are breeding ewe lambs making in mart. Have some Charolais cross ones. Don't know to send to factory or sell as ewe lambs.,

Charolais aren't great milkers in a commercial flock, but all female sheep are selling well, a dealer phoned me erlier in the week, to see had I cull ewes....its a long time since that's happened, he nearly couldn't contain himself when I said I'd have 70-80 so here,s hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Charolais aren't great milkers in a commercial flock, but all female sheep are selling well, a dealer phoned me erlier in the week, to see had I cull ewes....its a long time since that's happened, he nearly couldn't contain himself when I said I'd have 70-80 so here,s hoping

Rangler what would 5yo mule ewes be worth, good sheep with full mouth & elders

sea12 wrote: »

Charollais cross ewe lambs will make fat price and no more in the mart(well around here anyways).As soon as they come into the ring anyone looking for breeding stock will have no interest.No reflection on the sheep its just that anything with a char. cross in it is prob. not the best to keep for breeding.

All the above said have a handful of them kept here and they are ok,just that and no better.Wild ,hard to handle,ok milkers but not great as mothers.Also inclined to last a lot shorter than other breeds.

Farrell wrote: »
    Rangler what would 5yo mule ewes be worth, good sheep with full mouth & elders

Worth 50 euro but what they will make???
    No such thing as a 5 yr old ewe in mart terms as its either ewe lamb,hogget, 2yr old,3 yr old 4 yr old,, full mouthed ,or broken mouthed ewe in marts around here.Once a sheep has a full mouth she could in reality be any age.

Joking aside breeding ewe sales seemed to catch on fire around the south east this year but think they are easing back a wee bit recently.

No idea on mule prices though as they wouldnt be a major seller about here.Any I saw in local marts made poorish money( ie seen 3 and 4's scanned in lamb bought for 120 last March) compared to the more "traditional" crosses

Worth 50 euro but what they will make???
    No such thing as a 5 yr old ewe in mart terms as its either ewe lamb,hogget, 2yr old,3 yr old 4 yr old,, full mouthed ,or broken mouthed ewe in marts around here.Once a sheep has a full mouth she could in reality be any age.

Joking aside breeding ewe sales seemed to catch on fire around the south east this year but think they are easing back a wee bit recently.

No idea on mule prices though as they wouldnt be a major seller about here.Any I saw in local marts made poorish money( ie seen 3 and 4's scanned in lamb bought for 120 last March) compared to the more "traditional" crosses

around cull value I'd say....mules are good, but can be disappointing teeth wise once they get a full mouth, can lose them very quick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The cast ewe trade is putting a good bottom in the aged breeding ewe market. I had 25 ewes average 90€. Yet My lambs only average €92.

Advertisement