Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Willfarman wrote: »
    Appearently any fat lambs in Carnew last Thursday would be bringing the equivalent of 5.50 kg deadweight I’m informed.

They’ll have to pay that kind of money to get lambs, but are keeping it quiet. I don’t think the numbers are there. They cannt be after the losses last spring. About time we were properly rewarded for the money we pump into the lambs to get them out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

The lamb price is going up in the UK daily. Some are predicting 200 GBP by April for fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

What are ewes making this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are ewes making this week?

2.90 -3 in Kildare plus 10c for QA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

sea12 wrote: »
    2.90 -3 in Kildare plus 10c for QA

To what do get paid on for a ewe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

DJ98 wrote: »
    To what do get paid on for a ewe

Max 40kg

sea12 wrote: »
    Max 40kg

Think I got to 35kg last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Willfarman wrote: »
    Appearently any fat lambs in Carnew last Thursday would be bringing the equivalent of 5.50 kg deadweight I’m informed.

Report from tullow today says hoggets up E4-5, tops of E124

Any prices for the in lamb ewes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

1 pen is reported to have made 140 , when 2 buyers got thick with 1 another , never happened when I used to be in the seller;s box though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Got €109 for 44kg well fleshed lambs in roscrea today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Have a few pet lambs left over from 2018. This is where they'll pay for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Text from Tullow earlier today looking for store lambs, 40-43kgs, no price mentioned. Sheep must be scarce, also with Easter on the 21th of April and Ramadan on 4th of May to 5th of June, it could be a good year for sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Text from Tullow earlier today looking for store lambs, 40-43kgs, no price mentioned. Sheep must be scarce, also with Easter on the 21th of April and Ramadan on 4th of May to 5th of June, it could be a good year for sheep

"Rodney this time next year we'll be millionaires":D

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    "Rodney this time next year we'll be millionaires":D

These thing always balance themselves out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

These thing always balance themselves out in the end

don't think so farm gate prices fall in real terms & costs increase

lads here excited about getting 100euro a lamb that's 78 old punts old money

(there are some of us who can remember filling the tank on a jeep twice for that)

(there are some of us who can remember filling the tank on a jeep twice for that)

I know, I was referring to something different. Lost loads of lambs this year from the hard spring and drought. Turns out with what I’ve left, I’ll make up abit of ground, ie selling less lambs, but at a higher price therefore ending up with the same amount in the end. I get what your on about as well. Was listening to the radio today and a group of cattle lads were trying to shine a spotlight of how in the 90’s they got 40% of the retail price on the beef, today it’s slipped to 19%. Something’s not right somewhere. As sheep farmers, It’s just nice whenever we can swing the pendulum back the other way sometimes, to make the factories pay a fairer price for our products. Their fast to stick the boot in when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Early 70s about 6 or 7 good butcher's lambs used to pay my silage cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »
    Early 70s about 6 or 7 good butcher's lambs used to pay my silage cutting.

Remember my father selling cull ewes at £5 and the workman was getting £3/wk.
    No wonder the workman went off to England, Himself and the girlfriend worked hard in England and came back with the price of a house in about two or three years.
    Different times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

wrangler wrote: »
    Remember my father selling cull ewes at £5 and the workman was getting £3/wk.
    No wonder the workman went off to England, Himself and the girlfriend worked hard in England and came back with the price of a house in about two or three years.
    Different times

My father sold 17 store Shorthorn bullocks to pay for his new house in the early 1960s.

I bought lambs at the end of November and have them on beet tops. Would the middle of March be the best time to sell them? I'm off on March 18 and Tullow mart is on. Only 35-40 mile from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

My father sold 17 store Shorthorn bullocks to pay for his new house in the early 1960s.

I bought lambs at the end of November and have them on beet tops. Would the middle of March be the best time to sell them? I'm off on March 18 and Tullow mart is on. Only 35-40 mile from there.

470608.gif

Hard to say - 2017 & 2018 - price peaked in May...

It more depends on when they are fit and how much feed you have I would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

470608.gif

Hard to say - 2017 & 2018 - price peaked in May...

It more depends on when they are fit and how much feed you have I would say...

Peaked in may but that spring lambs not hoggets, best time to sell them prob march or April before the easter trade starts for the spring lamb but as you say depends on when they are fit little point in staying feeding a fit lamb!

Think it’s costing about €2 a head / week to meal lambs here, so out the door as they come fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Think it’s costing about €2 a head / week to meal lambs here, so out the door as they come fit.

€2 sounds low if ad-lib. More like €3

razor8 wrote: »
    €2 sounds low if ad-lib. More like €3

Ya, €2 would be the minimum, but yep, I’d fully believe that could go through €3 as well. Nothin cheap about finishing them and we deserve every penny we get in sales

Ya, €2 would be the minimum, but yep, I’d fully believe that could go through €3 as well. Nothin cheap about finishing them and we deserve every penny we get in sales

This has been a bitch of a year
    Might be worth thinking of redstart if you're staying with April lambing, next year might be better,

This has been a bitch of a year
    Might be worth thinking of redstart if you're staying with April lambing, next year might be better,

might have to do something different alright. feels like I’m working for the mill the way concentrate prices are going. Do you have to declare anything different in your single farm payment if you plant something like the redstart ? Or just leave things at permanent pasture ? How do those type of crops grow on partially sandy soil ?

might have to do something different alright. feels like I’m working for the mill the way concentrate prices are going. Do you have to declare anything different in your single farm payment if you plant something like the redstart ? Or just leave things at permanent pasture ? How do those type of crops grow on partially sandy soil ?

I wouldn't have any experience, sandy soil mightn't be great

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have any experience, sandy soil mightn't be great

Ah Fair enough. No harm in pricing it up when I’m talking to the contractor. When you meal finish lambs it can you feel like your just a unpaid mill worker, except your the one taking all the risks.

Advertisement