Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Would lambs need meal if the grass is good and have beet tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    This has been a bitch of a year
    Might be worth thinking of redstart if you're staying with April lambing, next year might be better,

Have some hoggets on stubble turnips here... my problem is there is too much grass about, and they aren’t too interested in the turnips...
    although, to be fair I was told that it’s hard to get em to eat turnips, they’d eat the rape quicker...

Having to close em into the turnips to try to force em to eat em... but I don’t want to close em in full time either, so they can pick some grass as well...

Bit of a pain, but hopefully they’ll get the taste for the turnips soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got €110 for 47.5kg ewe lambs in Baltinglass this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

arctictree wrote: »
    Got €110 for 47.5kg ewe lambs in Baltinglass this morning.

What was the trade like in general?

kk.man wrote: »
    What was the trade like in general?

Only about 25 lots there. Neighbour of mine got 99 for 39kg lambs. I would have been happier with a bit more for mine but can't be greedy. I also got 116 for some fat ewes I had.

My lot were mostly runts and pet lambs from March 2018 so can't complain. They put on a good few kgs in the last 5 weeks when I started feeding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

arctictree wrote: »
    Only about 25 lots there. Neighbour of mine got 99 for 39kg lambs.

Saw a lot of 35kg lowland lambs in mart making €90 during the week. Read into it what you will.

Saw a lot of 35kg lowland lambs in mart making €90 during the week. Read into it what you will.

Factories are tripping over themselves in the UK for lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Factories are tripping over themselves in the UK for lambs.

The food businesses in the UK are really concerned about running out of stock because of brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Got 98 euro for ewe lambs out of the yard today . 41kg averaging. Charlaois cross lambs . I was quiet happy with that . The uncle got 97.50 for 35kg lambs in the mart this week which was very impressive .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Got 115 euro for 50kg wethers in mart this week.
    Were getting but of meal last 2 months

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    The food businesses in the UK are really concerned about running out of stock because of brexit

That's true but the sheep numbers are just not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Price seems to be tracking last years price fairly closely...

Last year, hogget prices peaked at about 6.20 April-ish...

Do people see the same happening this year?

Price seems to be tracking last years price fairly closely...

Last year, hogget prices peaked at about 6.20 April-ish...

Do people see the same happening this year?

Who knows, prices will be strong and scarce, how much is anyone’s guess, anyone in a factory lairage this week ? The mart wasn’t exactly plentiful with lambs the other day anyway.

It's not just the price but it just a vastly different experience in the mart when lambs are scarce. Lads waiting to unload your sheep, staff chatting to you while getting your lot no, even the auctioneer taking it nice and slow and praising your sheep! And not waiting for half the feckin day to get to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In terms of Brexit, the EU has divided the NZ quota access in two for when Brexit takes place, so NZ will have access for some 120k tonnes of lamb, iirc, to the EU and the same to the UK. If/when Brexit takes place, that is.

That should put a bit more upward pressure on lamb price than the entire NZ quota having access to the EU post Brexit.

Any prices this week?...I am hearing 5.50 all the way to 5.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Any prices this week?...I am hearing 5.50 all the way to 5.70.

Says same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I brought last few crabby lads to icm today 5.20. 3.00 for ewes that scanned empty.

How heavy can I let hoggets get? Hoping to sell mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

23 kg dead u get paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Willfarman wrote: »
    I brought last few crabby lads to icm today 5.20. 3.00 for ewes that scanned empty.

To be honest that was a poor price for lambs.Ewe price looks about where it is at though.Heard 5:50 and 5:60 for definite paid today.That would include 10 cent BB bonus.
    Last of my own should be ready next week so hoping for 5;60 /5;70 which should bring them into 130 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

To be honest that was a poor price for lambs.Ewe price looks about where it is at though.Heard 5:50 and 5:60 for definite paid today.That would include 10 cent BB bonus.
    Last of my own should be ready next week so hoping for 5;60 /5;70 which should bring them into 130 or so
    Bastards. I hadn’t really been following trade. Only 4 lambs but the principle has me raging!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    23 kg dead u get paid

But if they were 50kgs they'd e ok in the mart?

Will have some Ready to sell at the end of next week myself as well. To be honest we’ll need at least that, to make something out of them. Take out what’s its cost us to carry them over the winter and it’s not much better then getting €100 for a finished lamb in aug/sept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

But if they were 50kgs they'd e ok in the mart?

You might even get a few more quid at the mart if there was someone buying for the butcher rather than the factory.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Some dealers are getting paid till a lot more than 23kg dead weight.

Lambman wrote: »
    Some dealers are getting paid till a lot more than 23kg dead weight.

You’d wonder, wouldn’t you ? what the real price the factory is paying in the ground, as opposed to what their telling us what they’re paying.seems like sometimes factory quotes don’t tell the full picture.

Clipped lambs for a man who sent 180 between yesterday and today... Sends alot off sheep till factory and anytime I asked him what there making now it's usually at least 20c more than ever I see quoted in farmers journal... He was the one told me he gets paid full weight on the lambs which is hard till believe but I'd say he definitely gets paid till heavier weights.

Lambman wrote: »

He was the one told me he gets paid full weight on the lambs which is hard till believe but I'd say he definitely gets paid till heavier weights.

I asked a butcher about it before, who told me the factory don’t stop charging him when a carcass weights more then 23kg.

• Advertisement

Lads sending big numbers are always gonna get more money no matter what way they get it either more € per kg or paid till heavier weights. 570c till 23kg =€131.10 ...... 546c till even 24kg is €131.04. they wouldn't need till be getting paid that many extra kgs till make a big big difference.

Advertisement