Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any quotes for this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

Any quotes for this week ?

Seem to be same as last week. It's a tactic for how long I don't know.

kk.man wrote: »
    Seem to be same as last week. It's a tactic for how long I don't know.

Brought home my lambs unsold from mart today. 43kg well fleshed and not making much above €100. The factorys are pulling, but I wasn’t going giving them my sheep for that. So home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I'd a done the same greenfarmer seen 43kg mixed lambs sold yesterday for €116

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Any thing around a €100 euro is great price for lambs around 40 kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Duke92 wrote: »
    Any thing around a €100 euro is great price for lambs around 40 kg

It really depends on how well fleshed they are and which frame they have..

Brought home my lambs unsold from mart today. 43kg well fleshed and not making much above €100. The factorys are pulling, but I wasn’t going giving them my sheep for that. So home instead.

You did the right thing. They are signs in the UK factories breaks in the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

You did the right thing. They are signs in the UK factories breaks in the ranks.

As in prices will be pulled ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Robson99 wrote: »
    As in prices will be pulled ??

No some of the small independent abattoirs are breaking rank for lambs and ewes for the domestic and ethnic markets. Numbers tight enough over there and only going one way I’m told too. Interesting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's interesting now, they're obviously not commiting to supplying any more than is easily available
    neighbour got 5.60 in Kildare last week, wouldn't be a big supplier, but the quotes on the paper are rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Don't know what the official quote is for this week but agent offering 5:30 for tomorrow inc. QA bonus.Lambs in same factory last week paying 5:60/5:70 to 23 and 23.5 kgs depending.That's a 30 cent a kilo drop or almost 7 euro a head.
    Store lamb prices well back this week in marts both here in the east and elsewhere.
    Best of lambs struggling to make much more than 110/115 a head in any mart this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

As I said before on here I clip belly's for a big supplier and what he is telling me is at least 30c more than farmers jornal ever quoted and he gets paid till a heavier weight (according till him) but I believe him. Jesus lads don't sell yourself short anyman selling lambs at this time off year is buying meal since November.

Lambman wrote: »
    As I said before on here I clip belly's for a big supplier and what he is telling me is at least 30c more than farmers jornal ever quoted and he gets paid till a heavier weight (according till him) but I believe him. Jesus lads don't sell yourself short anyman selling lambs at this time off year is buying meal since November.

Yep heard of that deal going a month ago I’d say there trying to keep down quotes because of it
    Know a guy went with 40 to icm on Monday they told him they where getting loads of lambs offer him 5:40 to start finished at 5:60 to 23.5 kgs

By the way factories don’t buy stores

wrangler wrote: »
    It's interesting now, they're obviously not commiting to supplying any more than is easily available
    neighbour got 5.60 in Kildare last week, wouldn't be a big supplier, but the quotes on the paper are rubbish

Well that’s what they do same when cattle are tight they get them to delay quotes a week or talk them down
    I’m sure they get well paid for the right price report

Don't be soft sellers as it's only a matter of when prices will rise. Even look at the kill figures which are falling by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't know if this is the right place but does anyone have a reccomendation on where to get a butchered half lamb delivered from? And what price I would be looking at? I am in North Dublin.

Lambman wrote: »

Jesus lads don't sell yourself short anyman selling lambs at this time off year is buying meal since November.

That’s what went through my head yesterday when I made the decision to bring them back home. Must have spent €20-€30 a head in meal, deduct that from €100 on offer, without even thinking about my labour and meds, then I’d be at nothing. So mine are staying back in my field, until I get a proper price. Remember factories cannt afford to keep up this rubbish either. They fail to deliver lambs to supermarkets, then they’ll be breaking their contracts with their customers and there’s always someone else waiting to take their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Don't be soft sellers as it's only a matter of when prices will rise. Even look at the kill figures which are falling by the week.

I sent off a few yesterday anyways... :o We'll see how we get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I don't know if this is the right place but does anyone have a reccomendation on where to get a butchered half lamb delivered from? And what price I would be looking at? I am in North Dublin.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2015/07/21/appeal-by-local-sheep-farmer/
    Padraic McMahon used to sell half lambs, not sure if they're at it anymore.

That’s what went through my head yesterday when I made the decision to bring them back home. Must have spent €20-€30 a head in meal, deduct that from €100 on offer, without even thinking about my labour and meds, then I’d be at nothing. So mine are staying back in my field, until I get a proper price. Remember factories cannt afford to keep up this rubbish either. They fail to deliver lambs to supermarkets, then they’ll be breaking their contracts with their customers and there’s always someone else waiting to take their place.

If there’s that much meal I then they would’ve better of in the factory they should die like lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I'm not feeding meal. Should I start for the last month? Loads of grass.

I'm not feeding meal. Should I start for the last month? Loads of grass.

I would have said kill-out could be very low without meal. But I think you said they were on beet-tops as well?

Are you going to factory them? You could always send off a handful of the heavy ones, just to see how they kill out. Then you'd have an idea as to whether it'd be worth your while putting meal into em or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I would have said kill-out could be very low without meal. But I think you said they were on beet-tops as well?

Are you going to factory them? You could always send off a handful of the heavy ones, just to see how they kill out. Then you'd have an idea as to whether it'd be worth your while putting meal into em or not...

Only have 36 and was going to mart them as they're s mixed bunch. Meal for 6 weeks could be a right job.

Duke92 wrote: »
    If there’s that much meal I then they would’ve better of in the factory they should die like lead

Some would, others wouldn’t. My charolais x and Suffolk x would, but the Lleyns not necessarily so. Add to the fact that the factories were paying more to the agents then ordinary lads, then you’d be surprised where you might do better. Anyway, when you don’t have grass or scale, there ain’t much choice. Wouldn’t see much change out of €310-€320 a tonne for finisher recently.

That's a fair whack of meal Green... Are they ad-lib on ration?
    Some would, others wouldn’t. My charolais x and Suffolk x would, but the Lleyns not necessarily so. Add to the fact that the factories were paying more to the agents then ordinary lads, then you’d be surprised where you might do better. Anyway, when you don’t have grass or scale, there ain’t much choice. Wouldn’t see much change out of €310-€320 a tonne for finisher recently.

Are there any agents or producer groups in your area you could go through Green?

They were starting off at a low weight because of the drought. Then built them up gradually. I think the lads here were working it out that to heavy feed something, your talking about near €3 a week. Wouldn’t be long adding up after that. Also if you loose any in the way, then the rest have to carry a bit of that overhead each as well. No agents around my part of the country, so just paddle my own boat. It’s an hour to mart or two to factory.

I can't understand where you're losing the thrive, granted a month later lambing could leave you two months later selling as the lamb can't take advantage of the best grass of the year, the may grass.
    We ran out of grass too and yet the lambs never went as quick, we just pegged the meal into them as it seems did you.
    I'd be suspicious of mineral deficiency or worse like a neighbour of mine, selenium poisoning....you should try doing a screening, blood tests and Herbage tests when grass grows

I can't understand where you're losing the thrive, granted a month later lambing could leave you two months later selling as the lamb can't take advantage of the best grass of the year, the may grass.
    We ran out of grass too and yet the lambs never went as quick, we just pegged the meal into them as it seems did you.
    I'd be suspicious of mineral deficiency or worse like a neighbour of mine, selenium poisoning....you should try doing a screening, blood tests and Herbage tests when grass grows

You'd imagine that any mineral deficiency would be resolved with the minerals in the ration? I know we are low in minerals, and we would get a better kick from ration, than just the feed value in the ration itself... if you know what I mean...

What do you mean by screening Wrangler?

You'd imagine that any mineral deficiency would be resolved with the minerals in the ration? I know we are low in minerals, and we would get a better kick from ration, than just the feed value in the ration itself... if you know what I mean...

What do you mean by screening Wrangler?

As I said, blood test and herbage tests, €20 or €30 euros worth of meal is very high, there has to be something else.
    We have to target cobalt and Iodine here, high molybddemum too so anything apart from white sheep needs copper

• Advertisement

As I said, blood test and herbage tests, €20 or €30 euros worth of meal is very high, there has to be something else.
    We have to target cobalt and Iodine here, high molybddemum too so anything apart from white sheep needs copper

ah, ok...

We did bloods before on a few sheep. Didnt come back with anything much... Was disappointed, as I know we are lacking in something...
    Never got around to doing the herbage tests, and the way am farming now, not having top thrive isn't something that overly worries me...

Advertisement