Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    We had John Walsh from ICM at our AGM tonight so the mild winter has the hoggets coming in to them too heavy and they're getting too many lambs in July and August.

What can u realistically do abput the glut in july and august. More earlys and april flocks rather than march flocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

We had John Walsh from ICM at our AGM tonight so the mild winter has the hoggets coming in to them too heavy and they're getting too many lambs in July and August.

Did he say anything about new markets to help stall the price sliding in July and August?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What can u realistically do abput the glut in july and august. More earlys and april flocks rather than march flocks?

They won't be encouraging farmers to produce in the summer months so there has to be a price differential, Our group used to have a better spread of production over the year but processors have caused it to tighten up with their pricing arrangement through the year,
    If he's serious about what he was preaching last night and they had a bigger gap for out of season lamb, it could be at the expenses of the mid season price so we have to be careful what we pray for
    He's very serious about getting us to guarantee supply, don't know if our crowd want to commit to that, like all over the country, the majority of our farmers are older and have less commitments, family reared, college finished etc , so aren't goin to be into that hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

They won't be encouraging farmers to produce in the summer months so there has to be a price differential, Our group used to have a better spread of production over the year but processors have caused it to tighten up with their pricing arrangement through the year,
    If he's serious about what he was preaching last night and they had a bigger gap for out of season lamb, it could be at the expenses of the mid season price so we have to be careful what we pray for
    He's very serious about getting us to guarantee supply, don't know if our crowd want to commit to that, like all over the country, the majority of our farmers are older and have less commitments, family reared, college finished etc , so aren't goin to be into that hassle

if they want guaranteed supply let them guarantee price

ganmo wrote: »
    if they want guaranteed supply let them guarantee price

We told him that, we'd be used to dealing with him as we have to thrash a deal every two years.
    He was keen to talk last night if we commited to out of season lamb, He says that when he get's shelf space in a supermarket and then can't supply it this time of the year it's extremely hard to get that same shelf space again next year, he was talking about Jan lambing and April/may, Any way I can't see the group running with it, Both systems would be an expensive time to produce lamb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

he was talking about Jan lambing and April/may, Any way I can't see the group running with it, Both systems would be an expensive time to produce lamb

Nothing worse then to give them what they want, only for them to flood the market with imports and deprive you of any decent return. Not much incentive there.

Nothing worse then to give them what they want, only for them to flood the market with imports and deprive you of any decent return. Not much incentive there.

It'd have to be contracted, worst of contacts is if you miss the terms or don't supply the quality you're penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Yea, we used to do weighings too and lambs eating 1kg/day would put on 2kg easily per week, at that stage (36kg plus) most of the weight gain would be DW as the KO would be shooting up as well.
    That would be conditional n two things
    1) that the lambs wouldn't be fat already and growing.
    2) that they would be in their first six weeks of heavy feeding

After six weeks conversion is poor

Is 8 weeks of meal feeding at 1kg per day enough? Not happy with thrive at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Rang and agent on Monday have lambs around 50kg
    He said they were offering 5.30 and told me to leave for two weeks that there going to start killing earlier this year for Easter
    They think they’ll be in trouble if they leave like other years

Is 8 weeks of meal feeding at 1kg per day enough? Not happy with thrive at moment.

I'm making no guarantees, depends on the ration, we had mill beside us and the nutritionalist had an interest in sheep, but that's what we used to do, pull out the over 36s and give them a creep feeder, we'd be killing off grass at 44% KO and by the end of the feeding we'd be near 50% most would only need a bag, ie 25 -30 days, We found it good to clear out the smaller ones in Oct/ Nov
    We'd put them in in bad weather though,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm making no guarantees, depends on the ration, we had mill beside us and the nutritionalist had an interest in sheep, but that's what we used to do, pull out the over 36s and give them a creep feeder, we'd be killing off grass at 44% KO and by the end of the feeding we'd be near 50% most would only need a bag, ie 25 -30 days, We found it good to clear out the smaller ones in Oct/ Nov
    We'd put them in in bad weather though,

As a matter of interest Wrangler - how much ration would they eat in the 30 days? And what weight would they put on?

As a matter of interest Wrangler - how much ration would they eat in the 30 days? And what weight would they put on?

They'd be eating a Kilo/day, I'd be disappointed if they weren't putting on 300gms/day.....they'd be putting on 200gms/day on the grass alone......in good dry weather.
    Wet weather in autumn really floors the performance, That's when we'd be pulling them for adlib feeding. I get sick of the sight of them in Autumn
    Try to have everything gone first of December, they were all gone this year by first of October to let us go to NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We told him that, we'd be used to dealing with him as we have to thrash a deal every two years.
    He was keen to talk last night if we commited to out of season lamb, He says that when he get's shelf space in a supermarket and then can't supply it this time of the year it's extremely hard to get that same shelf space again next year, he was talking about Jan lambing and April/may, Any way I can't see the group running with it, Both systems would be an expensive time to produce lamb

I gave up January lambing mostly because of fellows lambing april and may

Lambs ready to go from early April on and factories treating us like dirt, and buying late hoggetts and imported stock instead.

start last week of January now and aim to have most lambs moved before june , a lot more work for us as peak lambing and calving now over lap for a couple of weeks & also means we have to change grass management ,

orm0nd wrote: »
    I gave up January lambing mostly because of fellows lambing april and may

Lambs ready to go from early April on and factories treating us like dirt, and buying late hoggetts and imported stock instead.

start last week of January now and aim to have most lambs moved before june , a lot more work for us as peak lambing and calving now over lap for a couple of weeks & also means we have to change grass management ,

Yea they've brought it on themselves, it'll be hard now to get people to go out of season, I just try to have them now to keep grass down, even if I was back with over 500 I'd never lamb early......or april either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yea they've brought it on themselves, it'll be hard now to get people to go out of season, I just try to have them now to keep grass down, even if I was back with over 500 I'd never lamb early......or april either

early suits the system here , ideally we should be full time dairying , but layout of farm hinders this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

Any quotes/mart reports for this week or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Heard off a man who'd fatten alot off sheep had lambs dumped in factory over dog worm? Anybody know what it is or what it does till sheep?

Lambman wrote: »
    Heard off a man who'd fatten alot off sheep had lambs dumped in factory over dog worm? Anybody know what it is or what it does till sheep?

Tapeworm or neospora, Tapeworm can be horrible looking but I don't know if it'd condemn lambs, I don't know much about neospora.
    We always dose dogs here every two months

Must look it up... Tapeworms can target flesh as well so maybe if they were very bad but hard till imagine. Fella that told me named another fattener it happened till last year as well...

Must look it up... Tapeworms can target flesh as well so maybe if they were very bad but hard till imagine. Fella that told me named another fattener it happened till last year as well...

Tapeworms are horrible, you can see where the lambs pass them out in the fields, you can imagine a handful of them in a lambs stomach, ugh, In a FEC,you need a microscope to see ordinary worms but taleworms are something else and a lot of wormers don't kill them I think.....never had them here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Tapeworms are horrible, you can see where the lambs pass them out in the fields, you can imagine a handful of them in a lambs stomach, ugh, In a FEC,you need a microscope to see ordinary worms but taleworms are something else and a lot of wormers don't kill them I think.....never had them here

That's what I did last year, I followed your 5 minute rule and thankfully they all came through fine.

Edit: Replied to wrong post!!

Yeah most animals can get them even fish. Would I be right in saying them lambs must have had it pre housing or could they pick it up off silage or through meal?

Yeah most animals can get them even fish. Would I be right in saying them lambs must have had it pre housing or could they pick it up off silage or through meal?

You'd imagine they'd pass them out if they weren't wedged in them, They can bore through teh somach wall and get lodged in the kidneys and gut....... all for the want of dosing the dog

That's it something that shouldn't be overlooked. Must be them he mentioned when he said dog worm then... Sore lesson on the farmer.

That's it something that shouldn't be overlooked. Must be them he mentioned when he said dog worm then... Sore lesson on the farmer.
    A farmer brought one to a discusion group to show us, 9 or 10 ins long, feck, so if a lamb had a handful in her they'd take up a bit of room

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard kepak had 1000 lambs from Scotland and Cumbria last week

Duke92 wrote: »

Years ago a northern lorry turned over on the road outside kepak in Athleague.
    I wonder did it even embarass bertie mannion, he'd surely brazen it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Regular occurence in all the major meat plants.Lot of them seem to have Irish tags though.Make you wonder.
    On another note bit of a own goal by the Dept. in not insisting all marts/factories etc have EID reading facilities after insisting farmers switch over to the more expensive tagging regime from June 1st.
    Easy see who has to carry the cost of all this for no gain.Will be interesting to see all the new markets this "increased traceability" will bring for our lambs in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

They’d prefer to import lambs and keep the quotes low, rather then give us a extra 10 cent or admit their scarce.

• Advertisement

Regular occurence in all the major meat plants.Lot of them seem to have Irish tags though.Make you wonder.
    On another note bit of a own goal by the Dept. in not insisting all marts/factories etc have EID reading facilities after insisting farmers switch over to the more expensive tagging regime from June 1st.
    Easy see who has to carry the cost of all this for no gain.Will be interesting to see all the new markets this "increased traceability" will bring for our lambs in 2019.

John walsh (manager ICM) was saying on Tuesday that they've just got the application forms for licensing them to be a Central Recordin premises or something, Apparently they'll read your lambs and hand you a copy for your register........... or something, hopefully no more white sheets, should be great for the store buyers not have to write 15 numbers for every line

Advertisement