Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I'd say the British sheep farmers that's sitting on store lambs at the minute are mad till sell with brexit only weeks away and a no deal looking more and more likely I'd expect till see lots off British lambs being killed here over the next month and the price till fall through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    Years ago a northern lorry turned over on the road outside kepak in Athleague.
    I wonder did it even embarass bertie mannion, he'd surely brazen it out

His son-in-laws father overturned a few years ago also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Twas the mountbellow effect that caused it, poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's supposed to be a risky bend near the entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

148multi wrote: »
    Twas the mountbellow effect that caused it, poor man.

The mountbellew effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Anyone hear any quotes for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what will factories do on april 1st if they cant bring in lambs from the north or from England?surely they wont haave enough to keep going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what will factories do on april 1st if they cant bring in lambs from the north or from England?surely they wont haave enough to keep going
    It's looking like a 2 year extension to Article 50 is going to be looked for and approved so we can just kick that can down the road for 18 months again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It's looking like a 2 year extension to Article 50 is going to be looked for and approved so we can just kick that can down the road for 18 months again.

sure thats on none runner, an extension would see them going through an eu election and their seats are already reassigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know what the factories are like this week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

Factories paying €5.25 to €5.40/kg. Supplies tight. Ewes up to €3.00/kg.

quote from IFA

Quoted €5.30 anyone get better or hear any pickup in mart trade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just read the prices from a nearby Mart on Monday there and they seem till be back till we're they were at a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Quoted €5.30 anyone get better or hear any pickup in mart trade ?

Heard kepak are a little better

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard kepak are a little better

Next time, I’ve them booked in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

wrangler wrote: »
    John walsh (manager ICM) was saying on Tuesday that they've just got the application forms for licensing them to be a Central Recordin premises or something, Apparently they'll read your lambs and hand you a copy for your register........... or something, hopefully no more white sheets, should be great for the store buyers not have to write 15 numbers for every line

See a few marts quoted in today's paper are not installing EID readers.That kinda negates any advantage EID tags might have I would think.Another Dept. idea that farmers will have to carry the cost for.
    Why not make it mandatory for every mart,factory,lairage etc to have an EID reading system installed ?

See a few marts quoted in today's paper are not installing EID readers.That kinda negates any advantage EID tags might have I would think.Another Dept. idea that farmers will have to carry the cost for.
    Why not make it mandatory for every mart,factory,lairage etc to have an EID reading system installed ?
    It's the thin end of the wedge. Once they have it bedded into sheep farmers, next up will be the real target, cattle. They can't complain once it's used on sheep farms.

It's the thin end of the wedge. Once they have it bedded into sheep farmers, next up will be the real target, cattle. They can't complain once it's used on sheep farms.

I can't understand why they're not used in cattle already, euro extra on a €1000 beast is very small compared with a euro extra on €100 lamb
    Reading electronic cattle tags after they being in a shed would be so easy compared with rubbing with a brillo pad/spit/ nail etc

Collateral damage, I'd say, wrangler. Etagging of all stock has been high on the agenda since the changeover to all numeric tags and there's a lot of resistance to it by cattle farmers.

Sheep farmers don't really rate in terms of listening to complaints, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Anyone know what the factories are like this week ?

Numbers dropping, prices dropping also, doesn't make much sense does it. Quotes as low as 5.10

• Advertisement

Numbers dropping, prices dropping also, doesn't make much sense does it. Quotes as low as 5.10

And they wonder why people have given up early lambing and there’s not many new entrants into the sector. Keep this up and they’ll be sourcing all their stock from the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

The excuse that it would take hours to read all tags is very ignorant of the system. They should be dragged up to the Marts in north to see how they operate

razor8 wrote: »
    The excuse that it would take hours to read all tags is very ignorant of the system. They should be dragged up to the Marts in north to see how they operate

Its an excuse.The cost I would assume is the issue.Why spend money on a piece of equipment that will need maintainence and upgrading when the job is done for you by the farmer selling the stock?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cost for marts/factories to become CRPs is supposed to be 2-3k euro plus labour of someone working the scanning machine. Not exactly huge money these days

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Cost for marts/factories to become CRPs is supposed to be 2-3k euro plus labour of someone working the scanning machine. Not exactly huge money these days

ICM are reading both manually and scanning so it wouldn't cost anything extra.
    It just shows that marts aren't reading tags anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Don’t mind the marts not being CPR’s tbh, this has sorta been landed on them too and double tagging for marts isnt level playing field either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If they start to rise lads start holding back stock and competition would really break up the cartel. If there was ever a time to try and get guys to dig I. This is it. the ffckers are afraid to show what the real market value of sheep is but 2 months time is going to be interesting.

Cran wrote: »
    Don’t mind the marts not being CPR’s tbh, this has sorta been landed on them too and double tagging for marts isnt level playing field either

The marts were all in favour of full EID,both ICOS marts and the private ones.
    They have been looking for this now for a few years.Between the extra tag and higher per head costs to sell compared to factory levies they were very against the idea of a non EID slaughter tag for direct farm of origin to factory sales.

regarding the cost of installing EID readers would imagine it would be a bit more between IT costs etc as a wand alone is 500 plus I think

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Not a smart question i am being genuine, but is there anyone representing sheep farmers anymore?? Ifa more interested in dairy and beef men with big basic payments cant see many sheep men getting cut at 60k. Ifa might give out about price every once and a while but on there website dont always give a true reflection of the trade either, just quoting what maybe large finishers are getting.....The new tagging taking 1-2% extra of the price of a finished lamb all at the farmers cost, like to see them implement something like that on milk price the uproar it would cause.
    Beef has the new beef group fighting there corner at the min doing a lot of shouting with maybe not much results yet but what do sheep men have? As said above if you can at all now is a good time to dig your heels in as factory price not where the market is at the min

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Not a smart question i am being genuine, but is there anyone representing sheep farmers anymore?? Ifa more interested in dairy and beef men with big basic payments cant see many sheep men getting cut at 60k. Ifa might give out about price every once and a while but on there website dont always give a true reflection of the trade either, just quoting what maybe large finishers are getting.....The new tagging taking 1-2% extra of the price of a finished lamb all at the farmers cost, like to see them implement something like that on milk price the uproar it would cause.
    Beef has the new beef group fighting there corner at the min doing a lot of shouting with maybe not much results yet but what do sheep men have? As said above if you can at all now is a good time to dig your heels in as factory price not where the market is at the min

Recently got involved so don't have huge experience of representation in the sheep sector, but I get a sense that fighting the processors is not high on the agenda or is a waste of time, especially when you see recently how much power processors have in the beef sector.

Another aspect is the lack of solidarity among farmers on a national scale. I'd be happy to withhold lambs as you mention above, but I know lads who'd break the line for an extra 5c/kg.

Producer groups at regional or county levels are a much better option, but these are apparently illegal due to competition rules. The IFA is currently looking at supporting these or figuring out the legal basis.

I'd love to see costs being reduced in the sector as that'd give us more control but the world has unfortunately moved on and it seems more direct payments are the future as consumers move further away from the source of their food and now expect it to get cheaper and cheaper.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement