Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Recently got involved so don't have huge experience of representation in the sheep sector, but I get a sense that fighting the processors is not high on the agenda or is a waste of time, especially when you see recently how much power processors have in the beef sector.

Another aspect is the lack of solidarity among farmers on a national scale. I'd be happy to withhold lambs as you mention above, but I know lads who'd break the line for an extra 5c/kg.

Producer groups at regional or county levels are a much better option, but these are apparently illegal due to competition rules. The IFA is currently looking at supporting these or figuring out the legal basis.

I'd love to see costs being reduced in the sector as that'd give us more control but the world has unfortunately moved on and it seems more direct payments are the future as consumers move further away from the source of their food and now expect it to get cheaper and cheaper.

You wouldn't mind selling lambs in france at the moment
    https://www.bordbia.ie/_layouts/images/charts/LambPrices_20190227044501.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »

Nearly encourage the British to vote for Brexit ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Is that driven by domestic demand do you know? Or what has the price so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is that driven by domestic demand do you know? Or what has the price so high?

They're always a Euro ahead of us, John walsh said that Spanish lamb is a problem now against them, Like NZ they have increased their carcase weights to 18 to 20kgs and are competing for shelf space too now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

They're always a Euro ahead of us, John walsh said that Spanish lamb is a problem now against them, Like NZ they have increased their carcase weights to 18 to 20kgs and are competing for shelf space too now

They’ve come from zero in 2008 to become Ireland’s main competitor in France now

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Supervalu have an offer this week on leg of lamb €14.49 now €7.24 per kg.

The price of lamb to the farmer will not rise anytime soon. I'd say the supermarkets shouted stop on the lamb price.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Was offered 5:40 today and told I’d probably get 5:50 on Monday

Any quotes

Got 123 euro for 50kgs in mart last week. That's the last of them now. I'll be lambing next week.

Anyone heard what lambs made in athenry mart or Fermoy mart yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Duke92 wrote: »
    Anyone heard what lambs made in athenry mart or Fermoy mart yesterday

https://www.farmersforum.ie/mart-reports/
    A lot of reports and prices up here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Farming Independent had all factories quoting between €5 and €5:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ifa have it 5.30-5.40 And Mart prices up over €5 a head

The numbers just aren't out there and factories seem willing to let throughput drop rather than up the price.

But they'll have to crack at some stage.

If I had lambs/hoggets at this time of year, I'd be trying to do like Mel Gibson in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNLn75BEFA&frags=pl%2Cwn when the factories are riding in strong with their low prices and the pressure is on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The numbers just aren't out there and factories seem willing to let throughput drop rather than up the price.

Saw a write up in the farm independent today that factories are gone down to a 3 day a week kill at the moment. Be interesting what’ll happen in a week or two when Easter demand starts.

Like that a few weeks
    I’d heard some broke ranks this week because they could get enough sheep to fill orders

Like that a few weeks
    I’d heard some broke ranks this week because they could get enough sheep to fill orders

What ranks are being broken? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If I had lambs/hoggets at this time of year, I'd be trying to do like Mel Gibson in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNLn75BEFA&frags=pl%2Cwn when the factories are riding in strong with their low prices and the pressure is on

They’d rather see sheep farming collapse than raise up the price a bit. Made the decision this morning this will be out last year at sheep unless a miracle happens between now and October

What ranks are being broken? ;)

Kepak gave for sheep that usually go to icm
    €5:50 (and don’t tell anyone you got it ) 😯

On Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Kepak gave for sheep that usually go to icm
    €5:50 (and don’t tell anyone you got it ) 😯

Whenever I look at the ifa quotes icm always seem to be the first to cut prices and last to raise them

Whenever I look at the ifa quotes icm always seem to be the first to cut prices and last to raise them

Larry is king pin.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    They’d rather see sheep farming collapse than raise up the price a bit. Made the decision this morning this will be out last year at sheep unless a miracle happens between now and October

Sorry to hear that. What will you go at instead?

Were ye not going milking cows anyways David?
    Or have I mixed you up with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have'nt checked in a while but ifa quotes used to be a week behind reality

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

All that crap i hear every year about supply and demand... well if they can turn off the demand to suit supply to suit their needs, it’s not really market dictates, it’s we dictate...it’s all a scam really.. when they have too many lambs becsuse we are flooding the market and when they are scarce just turn off the tap... only one winner here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Were ye not going milking cows anyways David?
    Or have I mixed you up with someone else?

Yeah I am. We were going to lamb down one last time next spring aswell but I think we just have enough at this stage

Yeah I am. We were going to lamb down one last time next spring aswell but I think we just have enough at this stage

I know little of dairy, but you’d have to wonder why you’d bother with sheep if there was a better alternative...

(Says he, with the handy off farm job, but still keeps a few sheep) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Were you thinking of milking cows before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I know little of dairy, but you’d have to wonder why you’d bother with sheep if there was a better alternative...

(Says he, with the handy off farm job, but still keeps a few sheep) ;)

They are a disease, you either like them or you don’t have them.

Advertisement