Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effects of Clavamox on dogs

• 10-05-2014 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

On Wednesday night we had to take our dog to the vet as he had hurt himself while out on his walk. He had a puncture wound on his snout and was walking with a severely arched back. We think he may have been chasing a cat/fox and possibly injured himself jumping over a wall, and then got bitten or scratched.
    Anyway, we took him to the vet who prescribed some painkillers and antibiotics (clavamox). Since that night, he has been a nervous wreck. He barely gets up out of bed and has no interest in doing anything. I know that he is in pain as he lets out a yelp sometimes when he tries to move. We will be taking him to the vet again to have him reassessed in any case.
    I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if it might be a side effect of the antibiotics that have him feeling drowsy, or could it just be that he's in pain? Is it possible that he could be traumatised by whatever happened to him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He's probably traumatised and in pain the poor thing :( If you're worried about the medicine give the vet a call and they might decide to prescribe something else. I know with anti-inflamatories different medicines can have different side affects on dogs - so they could give the dog an upset tummy, make them drowsy etc.

Advertisement