Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Dublin (First Time Buyer)

Options
  • 10-05-2014 12:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

I got the ball rolling and got approved, at the moment i am looking for a 2 bed house/duplex in Dublin.

Do you guys think it's best to wait until 2015 to buy as i heard somewhere there is a loophole for cash buyers this year and it ends in 2015 and should drive the demand down.Not sure what to believe

I'm in the market for a 2 bed in a somewhat decent area but the prices are ridiculous

Are any of you in the same boat? Would i be better going for it now or wait until next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

horsesfc88 wrote: »
    I got the ball rolling and got approved, at the moment i am looking for a 2 bed house/duplex in Dublin.

Do you guys think it's best to wait until 2015 to buy as i heard somewhere there is a loophole for cash buyers this year and it ends in 2015 and should drive the demand down.Not sure what to believe

I'm in the market for a 2 bed in a somewhat decent area but the prices are ridiculous

Are any of you in the same boat? Would i be better going for it now or wait until next year?

We are in the same boat as you. After losing 4 bidding wars against cash investors, we decided to take a break but keep eyes open. I'd suggest you to start viewing and bidding - just to get some experience and see with your own eyes mad house happening out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 horsesfc88

natali1982 wrote: »
    We are in the same boat as you. After losing 4 bidding wars against cash investors, we decided to take a break but keep eyes open. I'd suggest you to start viewing and bidding - just to get some experience and see with your own eyes mad house happening out there.

Where you looking at 2 beds in Dublin also?

natali1982 wrote: »

Where are these cash buyers coming from :( ??

I thought i did well saving up a decent deposit and probably gonna be priced out of the market by some silver spoon W****r's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Where are these cash buyers coming from :( ??

I thought i did well saving up a decent deposit and probably gonna be priced out of the market by some silver spoon W****r's

Or maybe older and wiser

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

Where you looking at 2 beds in Dublin also?

Yes, 2 bedroom apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Or maybe older and wiser
    possibly or maybe a public servant with a big tax free lump sum on retirement or someone as part of a couple, "up" two inheritances...

Or maybe older and wiser

and hopefully dead soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

It depends on your circumstances - for me I don't want to put it off any longer as I'm the wrong side of 35 to be applying for a mortgage so the amount I will qualify for is probably going down faster than I can save (what with rents only going up!). No one knows with any certainly what prices will be like in 6 or 12 months. I would say keep an eye on it and if something comes up that you think would suit you for a minimum of 5 years (putting serious consideration into how well a 2 bed place will continue to cater for your needs) then put in a bid.

It depends on your circumstances - for me I don't want to put it off any longer as I'm the wrong side of 35 to be applying for a mortgage so the amount I will qualify for is probably going down faster than I can save (what with rents only going up!). No one knows with any certainly what prices will be like in 6 or 12 months. I would say keep an eye on it and if something comes up that you think would suit you for a minimum of 5 years (putting serious consideration into how well a 2 bed place will continue to cater for your needs) then put in a bid.

Thanks for the advice

I'm 25 and no kids, if i ever have i'd only have the one, two MAX

I'd rather buy somewhere that i can afford and still have a life, only make 2 grand a month and i'm borrowing 115k so i can easily make the repayments

Once i see somewhere i like and is within 185k region i will go for it

But then if i enter a bidding war i can't go above 190k so i'm kinda screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

There is a CGT exemption for investors that expires in December this year. If they buy a property and hold it for 7 years, then they pay no CGT on profits if any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Maybe/hopefully there will be less steam in the Dublin market next year when that particular government interference comes to an end, leaving investors/landlords to rely on rent only which at the moment is just about break-even .....

Advertisement