Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block Unmarked Garda regs

Options
  • 10-05-2014 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I suggest that unmarked Garda car reg numbers should be blocked and that Sdu cars should have any distinguishing features blocked out such as wheels that are different.

Why should we block out reg numbers?
    People complain how Garda don't catch criminals and are lazy, how can they catch people in the act when criminals know what there cars look like?

Why would a normal person want to know an unmarked Garda reg number?

Problem at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424268

I am not member of AGS.

Boaty.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It would help if you linked to a thread where this has been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This isn't a site feedback issue, it is totally related to one forum.

I suggest you bring it up with the mods of that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It would help if you linked to a thread where this has been a problem.

Probably the ES fleet thread.

Op, with respect, any "undercover" motor isn't very undercover if a normal Joe soap can spot it and snap it.

Surprisingly, not all Gardai vehicle are D reg Mondeos with no hubcaps. I'm sure if the Gardai had a gripe with this they'd have approached boards and the oodles of other photo hosting sites like Flickr etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This isn't a site feedback issue, it is totally related to one forum.

I suggest you bring it up with the mods of that forum.

I went to a mod who told me to go here, as it doesn't only relate to one fourm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

MugMugs wrote: »
    Probably the ES fleet thread.

Op, with respect, any "undercover" motor isn't very undercover if a normal Joe soap can spot it and snap it.

Surprisingly, not all Gardai vehicle are D reg Mondeos with no hubcaps. I'm sure if the Gardai had a gripe with this they'd have approached boards and the oodles of other photo hosting sites like Flickr etc....

On your first point, of course any people can have a good look at a car up close and see that its an unmarked garda car, but lets face it criminals aren't going to be up close to an unmarked car.

Maybe the issue hasn't been brought to senior management of AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Boaty wrote: »
    On your first point, of course any people can have a good look at a car up close and see that its an unmarked garda car, but lets face it criminals aren't going to be up close to an unmarked car.

Maybe the issue hasn't been brought to senior management of AGS.

If they aren't going to be up close to tell its a unmarked car then what is your point?

Have criminals now got similar technology to read number plates like the guards do?

Whats to stop criminals getting a look at the unmarked cars in there day to day activities and already knowing what they look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

'undercover' cars are generally easy to spot anyway with their additional lights, aerials, other gubins inside. I see no reason why the regs should be blocked out, it's fully in the public realm on the roads anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Op do you think that criminals are coming on to boards(or other forums) writing down the reg's of unmarked cop cars and going around checking every reg they encounter in the course of their day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

'undercover' cars are generally easy to spot anyway with their additional lights, aerials, other gubins inside. I see no reason why the regs should be blocked out, it's fully in the public realm on the roads anyway
    Can I just point out that there is a massive difference between 'unmarked' and 'undercover' Garda vehicles?

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ken wrote: »
    Op do you think that criminals are coming on to boards(or other forums) writing down the reg's of unmarked cop cars and going around checking every reg they encounter in the course of their day?

Thats not the issue, how about if folk started identifying cars that belonged to politicians or prominent business people or celebrities (or boards admins!)... Folk here would claim that "ah shur theyre easy to spot by looking for x,y,z". It's just exposing people for no other reason than general dickery.
    A few years ago they had numpties ringing in to a radio station saying where ' speeding identifying cars' were hidden, how do people know that the car isn't sitting in a ditch waiting to trap a criminal escaping from a crime.
    Its called interfering with the course of justice, same as when people got done for flashing lights to warn oncoming cars about cops in the ditch.
    But if boards want to advocate it then by all means , you have to ask though, to what purpose does identifying the garda serve? Maybe it might be a guard on the way somewhere in uniform in their own family car! Do folk here know better?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Undercover Garda cars are practically indistinguishable from normal cars. They don't have any of the tell-tale details that unmarked squad cars do.

I don't think this is that serious an issue, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Undercover Garda cars are practically indistinguishable from normal cars. They don't have any of the tell-tale details that unmarked squad cars do.

I don't think this is that serious an issue, tbh.

In the general scheme of things it might seem innocuous, but would you have any problem with someone else posting your own reg. and that of all the people you work with?

What purpose does this type of thread serve other than to identify people going about their daily business.

Like would anyone have any problem if I notified the relevant department in the gardai that their movements are being monitored and publicised?

Shur it's only a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, having been in contact with the mods, I am now aware that you have already brought it up with them and that they all feel that this is not warranted (see what I did there).

So we will have to respectfully decline your request to have the reg numbers blocked out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement