Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Long Questions

• 10-05-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Ok, so my question is.. How many long question do I need to have prepared? It would also be very usefull if I also knew how many on each topic, im lost, and the LC is just around the corner :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

TehBarbaro wrote: »
    Ok, so my question is.. How many long question do I need to have prepared? It would also be very usefull if I also knew how many on each topic, im lost, and the LC is just around the corner :(

If you have this book, everything you need is here.
    http://www.mentorbooks.ie/book.aspx?filter=study&contentid=99
    Or your teacher may have given you sample answers?From my own study, there are around 70 for an A1 excluding the Option, about 20 for each section but it depends if your covering everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

What do you want out of geography? If you want an A1 I'd say you'd want about nine tenths of the course learnt off well just in case you're really unlucky and nice essays don't come up. I'd say otherwise you could get away with about half of the essays known well and just have a vague recollection of the rest if you want a C1/B3.

I've counted about 70 essays as well for the physical, regional and human environment. I've learned all of regional off fairly well, I'm going to focus in on the most likely stuff to come up for physical and for human environment I'm just going to learn what the teacher told us usually comes up, i.e. case studies and a few other bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I would say 70 might be a little extreme. I've gotten A's in every exam in 5th+6th and I don't think that I've learned ~70 essays. Tbh I don't learn off essays, I find learning facts and general info and then applying it to what's asked is the est method. The only section I would recommend learning off would be Biomes and Soils. Otherwise break down each section OP e.g. For regional I focus mainly on the GDA, Paris and Brazil, whilst having some supplementary info on Mezziogiorno and BMW if needed and maybe something on a culture essay. Bear in mind you have three choices for each section, if there's an essay you don't like/know, don't do it. Also many topics overlap such as Geothermal and Volcanoes Impact with Iceland and also Sahel/Africa with Human Interaction with Mass Movement and Overpopulation. The questions are very, very easy once you get your head aroud them and condense your workload as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I would say 70 might be a little extreme. I've gotten A's in every exam in 5th+6th and I don't think that I've learned ~70 essays. Tbh I don't learn off essays, I find learning facts and general info and then applying it to what's asked is the est method. The only section I would recommend learning off would be Biomes and Soils. Otherwise break down each section OP e.g. For regional I focus mainly on the GDA, Paris and Brazil, whilst having some supplementary info on Mezziogiorno and BMW if needed and maybe something on a culture essay. Bear in mind you have three choices for each section, if there's an essay you don't like/know, don't do it. Also many topics overlap such as Geothermal and Volcanoes Impact with Iceland and also Sahel/Africa with Human Interaction with Mass Movement and Overpopulation. The questions are very, very easy once you get your head aroud them and condense your workload as much as possible.

This really is the best way to do it. For the Paris Basin region for example, the physical characteristics section of the book essentially answers the primary activities question if you can adapt your answer, same with human processes and tertiary activity. I've always found secondary activities to be a bit of a pain though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hotale.com wrote: »
    This really is the best way to do it. For the Paris Basin region for example, the physical characteristics section of the book essentially answers the primary activities question if you can adapt your answer, same with human processes and tertiary activity. I've always found secondary activities to be a bit of a pain though tbh.

Yeah I usually avoid them, some people do like them however, I would suggest OP find an aspect which you like in the course e.g earthy, primary activities type of topics or economic, analysing humans and industry types of topics, and focus most of your efforts on those, don't ignore the other ones by any means, but focus on the stuff which you like and you will do much better on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement