Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fell off bike

• 10-05-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I was going up a residential road towards the the Walkinstown roundabout a couple days ago, i had my left indicator on without realising and someone pulled out in front of my just as i came up to a left turn. I braked hard, the front wheel locked up and it fell over. She was adamant she was not in any way at fault as i was indicating and refused to give me her insurance details. She did give me her mobile number and i took a photo of her reg plate. A few people since have said she was at fault. Im not really sure and feel a bit like it was my fault whatever about legality. I got the bike in February but ive been in India for the last two months so only really been on it a few weeks. The front indicator broke off and went through the front fairing, there were a few scrapes and the gear shifter peg is bent but the bike is ok to ride. Im just wondering would it be worth doing anything about it, having left it a few days and i didnt report it to the police or my insurance company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Contact your insurance co. immediately. She is at fault. Just because a vehicle has an indicator on is no guarantee of the drivers intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Are you allowed to just refuse to give insurance details? I thought you had to share details no matter what? I would inform the Garda of the incident. Hope you and the bike are OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why O Why did you even ask for her details!!!

Go over to the windscreen and take the policy number off the window and report it straight away. Its not for you or her to say who is at fault the insurance companies will dance about that one. From the sounds of it she is at fault and her not giving details is a pissy thing to do (if she knows she is not at fault whats the problem) Take her to the cleaners mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    Are you allowed to just refuse to give insurance details? I thought you had to share details no matter what? I would inform the Garda of the incident. Hope you and the bike are OK.

I dont suppose you have some independant witnesses? if traffic stopped because of this, it might have been handy to get the following drivers opinion as they'd be likely to have seen it.
    She has more or less left the scene of an accident.
    I'd have taken her details but a person can be in a bit of shock without knowing it after any kind of accident. Witnesses would be handy, I resort to driving the car now with a camera on (mostly as I have to remember to plug it in and out)

Your indicator being on or not doesnt matter a bit, most people dont seem to know that, same as indicating is no right of way, its only an intent and Id never read into an indicator being on or not as meaning a vehicle is or isn't going to turn and neither should she.

You were absolutely not in the wrong, she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sounds like you made a bollox of things op.

If I'm understanding this correctly..

You who lost control of your bike and you didn't collide with the lady.. You were also indicating your intention to turn left, which you didn't take and instead went straight on?.

If thats the case it appears to me as though you share the larger portion of any blame on your collision with the road surface.

If I was the lady driving I'd deny everything, I wouldn't give you my details either but I'd consider giving you my phone number as a witness to your accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Hang on, you didn't actually hit her car, you just hit the brake too hard and went down?
    I'd maybe just chalk this one up to experience.
    Do you think you could have stopped if you hadn't locked up the front wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sounds like you made a bollox of things op.

If I'm understanding this correctly..

You who lost control of your bike and you didn't collide with the lady.. You were also indicating your intention to turn left, which you didn't take and instead went straight on?.

If thats the case it appears to me as though you share the larger portion of any blame on your collision with the road surface.

If I was the lady driving I'd deny everything, I wouldn't give you my details either but I'd consider giving you my phone number as a witness to your accident.
    If someone pulls out in front of you and causes you to crash they are at fault whether you hit them or not as they caused your accident regardless of the indicator being on or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

This is the exact reason I bought a helmet camera. Invest in one OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

aaakev wrote: »
    If someone pulls out in front of you and causes you to crash they are at fault whether you hit them or not as they caused your accident regardless of the indicator being on or not

Firstly hope you aren't hurt and the bike is not too badly damaged. You could have got the details from her window disc or get on to the garda and they will get them for you.

But……so if I pull out of a junction and someone crashes even if they didn't hit me thats my fault.

I don't agree with that at all, how far down the road am I responsible for the inability of others to control their vehicle. 10mtrs,100mtrs, 1km…..

The OP crashed because he over-reacted to someone pulling out. That person pulled out on the basis that any normal person would, considering seeing a car coming towards them with the indicator on to actually take the turn. I think a good driver would factor in the speed of the vehicle indicating to turn before pulling out. But either way leaving your indicator on a motorbike is extremely dangerous, we have all done it. But still……what would you do if you were waiting at that junction.

i firmly believe that you must learn from these incidents, you have to really think about what it was that caused the incident, if you always look for someone else to blame you can expect it to happen again. I have had two accidents one when a garda car ran into the back of me on the east link bridge. I think in that case I should be looking in the mirrors more and got on the horn earlier. They were obviously to blame but I still may have been able to prevent it in the first place. The second crash only involved me, I knew I had a soft flat and had been topping it up on a trip back from London, I got to within 10 kms of my house and through a combo of enjoying myself too much, going too quick for the wet dirty condition and a soft front. I locked the rear approaching a corner, got off it but was now into the corner to quick, I knew I was probably going to lose the front and thats is exactly what happened. I could blame the farmer that had left muck all over the road, or the lad in london that sold me the bike probably knowing it had a flat front. Either way both incidents I hope have maybe me a better rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

DubVelo wrote: »
    Hang on, you didn't actually hit her car, you just hit the brake too hard and went down?
    I'd maybe just chalk this one up to experience.
    Do you think you could have stopped if you hadn't locked up the front wheel?

Hard to say, i certainly have not mastered braking, thats the first time ive ever had to brake hard to avoid something. I was literally just thinking the day before i need to practice emergency braking, when i did the ibt it was too wet and the instructor told me i needed to.

I was thinking basically chalk it up to experience but im leaning more towards making a claim against her now, i just rang a garda station and the guy said he was 99% sure she would be found to be to blame but they wont get involved other than getting her policy number.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 Madmix_

In reality it is your fault however by the rule of road its her fault. That why I always wait until car that is indicating turn, really slows down so I am sure that he/she is really turning. I also heard that some people trying to get money from insurance companies just by "fake indicating".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

rowanh wrote: »
    Hard to say, i certainly have not mastered braking...........
    I was going up a residential road towards the the Walkinstown roundabout a couple days ago, i had my left indicator on without realising.......................

anything else ?

Just put it down to experience and go practice your braking
    ....thats the first time ive ever had to brake hard to avoid something......

She could easily just state the facts about what she saw
    The motorcyclist indicated he was turning left, as he reached the corner he seemed to brake very late and brake very hard.
    The front wheel locked up and he fell off.

sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

What some people are suggesting is if the OP didnt emergency brake and hit her or it happened so late the Op couldnt avoid hitting her, then that could be seen as the person pulled out late? so the OP would be less at fault?
    But the OP braked hard and the bike went over, because the person pulled out, what was (he?) supposed to do, ram her?

Id still conclude the otherperson is at fault, especially as their defense is, Op had indicator on, thats not good enough to pull out in front of someone.
    Op was on the road, the car driver shouldnt have concluded they were going to go one way or the other.
    On that basis, I think the OP should still follow it up, they probably should have tried to get witnesses and Ive reported it sooner, but they might have been in shock or injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You dont not have to collide with another vehicle for it to be their fault :rolleyes: a portion of the blame would be allocated say 60-40 for instance.

Also hitting the car is a totally difference case then not hitting the car, if she pulled out and surprised you its more your fault TBH. Really does depend how close she was to you.

aaakev wrote: »

That goes without saying, however by his own admittance the OP didn't crash (it even says so in the title).. The OP "fell off bike"..

By reading the OP it appears they panicked and grabbed a fistful of brake.

If there wasn't a collision with the car I'd suggest there was time and space for the OP to take evasive action to avoid a collision but due to a lack of riding experience the OP panicked.

I'm not saying the lady isn't entirely innocent either, but it does appear as thought the great portion of the blame lies with the OP's lack of riding experience and poor judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm with Makikomi on this one. As far as I know, if there was no contact, the insurance companies will side with her. Doesn't mean she's completely in the right. You would have been better off hitting her in regards to making a claim through her insurance. I could be talking out my arse though.
    As for her not giving her details, if you're ever in an accident, just walk over to the other car (if you can walk) and take out your phone and take a photo of her nct/tax/insurance disc.
    I'd just learn from it and move on. I had a crash in the car on the walkinstown roundabout, I reckon it was 50/50 but insurance companies would side with the other party. Just forget about it and move on imho, thinking about it is worse than the money it'll cost. Almost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You should have practiced emergency braking during your ibt.
    Braking practice should get done during ibt whether its wet or dry.
    I insist on practicing emergency braking to a full stop during ibt, especially in the wet.Then do it better again and again.
    You also put yourself in danger by not cancelling your indicator, which is what you would have learned during ibt also.

Your accident claim would depend on who has an independant witness to the incident. A video camera would have been ideal at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

In a civil case liability will probably be apportioned 50/50, maybe worse for you.

A case involving a vehicle pulling out in front of you causing you to alter your course, even if no contact was made, can be won if you have a good solicitor but because your indicator was on, a portion of liability will be pinned on you.

There have been cases similar to this. For example, where car driver "X" was travelling along a road, car driver "Y" coming from the opposite direction wanted to turn across the path of X. Y did what most people do, moved towards the centre of the road and X thought that he was moving into his path, swerved to avoid him and ended up in the ditch. Driver X won his case.

There are no absolutes in litigation. There is no "always" with insurance companies and every case is different.

Also, any delay in reporting an accident never looks good for a plaintiff. You need to make up your mind fast about what you're going to do and contact your insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm with Makikomi on this one. As far as I know, if there was no contact, the insurance companies will side with her. Doesn't mean she's completely in the right. You would have been better off hitting her in regards to making a claim through her insurance. I could be talking out my arse though.
    As for her not giving her details, if you're ever in an accident, just walk over to the other car (if you can walk) and take out your phone and take a photo of her nct/tax/insurance disc.
    I'd just learn from it and move on. I had a crash in the car on the walkinstown roundabout, I reckon it was 50/50 but insurance companies would side with the other party. Just forget about it and move on imho, thinking about it is worse than the money it'll cost. Almost

In cases where a motorbike is involved, the courts will nearly always side with the bike.

So because the OP has her details, her mobile number and his version of events, the insurance company will pay out in the event he makes a claim. It doesn't matter that he didn't make contact with the car, thats the best case scenario from bad driving on her part.

In cases where a motorbike is involved, the courts will nearly always side with the bike.

So because the OP has her details, her mobile number and his version of events, the insurance company will pay out in the event he makes a claim. It doesn't matter that he didn't make contact with the car, thats the best case scenario from bad driving on her part.

Sure if that was the case we could all go around blaming everyone else for our falls and taking none of the blame on our own actions!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Talk to your insurance company and get their opinion.

Don't worry about what people say on here, if you want to put in a claim you must contact them and they will be doing all the work anyway.. so ring them. They will be quick enough to tell you if you have a claim or not, they won't want to spend any money on legal fee's etc. if they don't think there's a chance to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I'd see the car that pulled out as primarily/mostly (if not completely at fault). They were the catalyst for the accident. The reason for the fistful of brake etc. was due to them reversing onto the road where traffic has the right of way.

By the rules of the road she's in the wrong. There may be an element of contributory negligence but that may mean that they cover 70% (for example) of your costs.

If your cost is just bike repair they'll simply pay up with not too much fuss. If there is an element of personal injury claim also they will fight it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kennM wrote: »
    I'd see the car that pulled out as primarily/mostly (if not completely at fault). They were the catalyst for the accident. The reason for the fistful of brake etc. was due to them reversing onto the road where traffic has the right of way.

By the rules of the road she's in the wrong. There may be an element of contributory negligence but that may mean that they cover 70% (for example) of your costs.

If your cost is just bike repair they'll simply pay up with not too much fuss. If there is an element of personal injury claim also they will fight it.

She didn't reverse. She was at the junction by the sounds of it, and since all the information she had said that the rider was going to turn left into the junction, she pulled out.

It's entirely the OP"s fault. He had the indicator on, and he hamfisted the braking effort.

She didn't reverse. She was at the junction by the sounds of it, and since all the information she had said that the rider was going to turn left into the junction, she pulled out.

It's entirely the OP"s fault. He had the indicator on, and he hamfisted the braking effort.

Sorry misread OP but point still holds....

"I was going up a residential road towards the the Walkinstown roundabout a couple days ago, i had my left indicator on without realising and someone pulled out in front of my just as i came up to a left turn."....

i.e. vehicle on main road has right of way regardless of indicating or not. The driver on the minor road must ensure it is safe to move out onto road.... indicator on doesn't absolve the person pulling out of responsibility. Car had to yield to traffic coming from the right, i.e. the bike. It didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lets say it was you that was hit. And lets say you wanted to turn into the business that was twenty feet past her, so you have placed your indicator on early like a good driver.

Does that justify her pulling out in front of you?

A indicator is the first step in the process of working out if somebody is turning. You do not in any circumstances pull out in their path based on that information alone. She would not have done that with a truck or large car.

Lets say it was you that was hit. And lets say you wanted to turn into the business that was twenty feet past her, so you have placed your indicator on early like a good driver.

Does that justify her pulling out in front of you?

A indicator is the first step in the process of working out if somebody is turning. You do not in any circumstances pull out in their path based on that information alone. She would not have done that with a truck or large car.

100% agree with you, of if they were pulling into the house right after the junction on the left hand side? .... car driver at fault. Would the accident have happened if she had not pulled out? no, would the rider have fallen off had she had not pulled out, no. There may be an element of contributory negligence but minor at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

OP, were you hurt or injured in this collision? If you were, the Guards would have to investigate it by taking statements and a sketch of the scene. This would be a great help to an insurance claim later on.

With regards to fault, as Wonda Boy said, it would really come down to the layout of the road, and how close you were to each other, reaction times, stopping distance etc.

I would be getting on to your IBT instructor, and demanding some emergency braking lessons! He might be apportioned some of the blame for skipping them because it was wet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, imho the indicator being on is meaningless. I mean, if I was the car driver I would have never pulled out, I would never trust an indicator. Indicators are left on all the time, and if indicators were to be trusted every roundabout in the country would have 50 crashes a day on them.
    It's not an issue and can't be used as an excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I've left mine on without noticing loads of times, and if someone was to pull out in front of me, expecting me to turn but not waiting to see whether I did, and I were to crash into them, it would be 100% their fault.
    If however I binned it because they lurched forward and I panicked it would still be their fault for crossing when it wasn't clear.
    There is no issue here 100% the cars fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

How sure are you that she has insurance herself??

Advertisement