Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word help needed - How to create an auto-summarize with section ref?

• 10-05-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been tinkering around with MS Word's autosummarize function but it does not do what I want to achieve. I would say I have an average ability with computers in terms of setting things up and trouble shooting basic problems. What I want to do is to create a section in a Word Docx when I'm writing reports for my job. Here is an example of what I would like to achieve:

When I write a paragraph in a section of a report, and I give it a 'Style' named , let's say Summary, I want my Executive Summary to have automatically copied the text from that style into the Executive Summary section.

In a lot of cases I might edit the report, but I don't want to have to edit the summary as well - this would auto-update instead of me having to painstakingly double-edit!

The second thing I would like is to have the copied text in the Executive Summary to reference which section the copied text came from.

Has anyone here any knowledge on how to go about creating this function? Any help is much appreciated!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭homer911

Sounds like a simple cross-reference functionality - see attached example

Assign a style to the relevant text and then use "Cross References" function on the "REFERENCES" ribbon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks Homer911 - really appreciate you looking at this one for me. I'll certainly look into cross-reference function on setting it up in my report.

Instead of saying a page number (I see you have used PageRef), I would like to list the Section heading the text is under. If I were to give myself a table in the Exec Summary, say with two columns, in Col 1 I would like it to have Section 2.0 [Topic], then the summarised text in Col 2. Each row will line up nicely!

My Headings for each section are Styled [Heading 1], with a sub-heading [Heading 2] - Some sections of my report don't have sub-sections so in each summarized text in the Exec will need a Ref of some sort for Heading 1 or Heading 2, whichever heading precedes the summarised text.

Hope you can follow what I'm trying to achieve.

Section Ref: Section Text Summarised
    1.0 Topic Text Summary
    2.5 Sub-Topic Text Summary
    12.9 Sub-Topic Text Summary
    14.0 Topic Text Summary

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭homer911

when you use the cross reference function, you can choose to cross reference by page number or heading, you can also reference any number of heading levels - You could format the text you want to summarise as Heading 3, but give it a normal style so it looks like regular text, and then reference this..

Advertisement