Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposition to new Library in Rowlagh?

Options
  • 10-05-2014 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anybody has read this weeks Echo,but the front page story is that residents in Rowlagh are objecting to the building of a new €3M library in the area.

The article doesn't really explain why the residents are opposed to it,and judging by the picture of the proposed location in the article (middle of a field in a housing estate) I can't see any obvious reason as to why they would be.

Just curious if anyone here knows what the problem is?

I'd love a new library to be built near me,or even a new library in Clondalkin Village if the residents really don't want it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is this the Library that has been promised since 1979?
    Why would anyone object to that, unless it's a location issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Yeah I'm just curious to know the reason for the opposition.Location looks to be a field in the middle of a estate going by the Echo anyway.

Would have thought that residents would be glad at having one less field for youths on poxy scramblers to tear about on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I read in the Echo a while ago that residents were worried about anti-social behaviour or something, and one of the local Councillors replied "Are they worried that young people will be quoting Shakespeare at them?"

I live really close to the proposed site and I'd love a library to be built there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have a few friends living nearby and they're a bit baffled. There's very little logic to the opposition but there's a small, vocal group making a lot of noise. The lack of logic makes it difficult to combat the opposition.

Amongst the arguments put forward:

Apartments were built on a green area opposite Finches leading to anti-social behaviour.
    Other green areas have been infilled with housing.
    The construction will be disruptive.
    The library will be an eyesore.

One resident told me it would block her view of the mountains. At a public meeting a local councillor stated that she'd love a library near her home. A resident of Harelawn offered to house swap with her :D.

Advertisement