Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum BER?

Options
  • 10-05-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Was there plans initially or just recommendations that in future houses are only suitable for the rental market when under a certain level of BER rating?

Doubt it as anything pre 2000 would be likely unsuitable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Most local authorities won't pay the rent supplement if the BER rating is below D already. There are rumors of a ban of all private rentals below E (inclusive) from 2020. Search "landlords-could-face-rent-ban-if-energy-efficiency-standards-arent-met" on google, there is are more details (boards.ie won't allow me to post a message with a link as I'm apparently a new user!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Cilar wrote: »
    Most local authorities won't pay the rent supplement if the BER rating is below D already. There are rumors of a ban of all private rentals below E (inclusive) from 2020. Search "landlords-could-face-rent-ban-if-energy-efficiency-standards-arent-met" on google, there is are more details (boards.ie won't allow me to post a message with a link as I'm apparently a new user!?)

Can you back up that comment on most local authority? I doubt most local authorities even know what the BER rating is on properties in the private rental sector that are let to recipients of rent supplement. I doubt given the current lack of supply particularly in Dublin that they are in any position to set restrictions. That's from my experience renting to RS recipients in Dublin.

That's not to say the law might not change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/53F3AC25-22F8-4E94-AB73-352F417971D7/0/AffordableEnergyStrategyFINAL.pdf deals with the 2020 suggestions.

I've heard second-hand that they won't allow an E/F/G for a new RAS rental but Rent Supplement is not (as yet) affected; however I can't find any hard evidence of this online at all.

As it is, local authorities don't pay Rent Supplement (but do pay RAS) at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Thanks , I'ts there in the foreword.....

Looking at an old terraced redbrick as a BTL. It has double glazing Gas heating but not much else......all the old character features such as high cielings coving ect but a BER of F.

Trying to do a few sums as after purchase costs and furnishing there wouldn't be a lot in the pot for major structural work.

What are the major costs or easier steps DIY if possible to get the rating down a couple of notches... (solid walls i'm sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Have you read the BER report (not just the rating)? Usually they indicate the steps that could be taken to improve the rating classified by impact and cost level.

Search for the cert number from the EA ad here to see the report: https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Attic insulation, low energy lightbulbs, newer condensing boiler; and most of all - a competent assessor. Far too many lazy ones who don't actually want to bother finding out what upgrades have been done and assume old house = old spec.

As above the report will have 'suggestions' in it but don't be surprised to find that it suggests things that have already been done - e.g. there may be attic insulation that the assessor was too damn lazy to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A BER is an expensive piece of paper. You can get several different ratings from several agents for the same house. If you claim a particular room is your living room and put in a few CFLs. You now have a higher BER. Although you havent made your house in anyway more efficient

Asking people to supply 2/3 years of Electricity and Gas bills would actually reflect energy usage of a house. Even if the BER reg is put in place I seriously doubt it will be enforced and if it is, its a serious waste of tax payer money. There is plenty of houses around Ireland, that dont fire standards or ventilation standards. But yet county councils couldnt care less.

Advertisement