Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BABYMETAL

Options
  • 10-05-2014 6:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

Introducing the new faces of Metal. The Japanese fusion of heavy metal and J pop" music.

The combination of a Heavy Metal Japanese rock band, fronted by 3 teenage girls.
    Lead singer Suzuka Nakamoto (SuMetal)
    Backing singers Yui Mizuno (YuiMetal) and
    Moa Kikuchi (MoaMetal)

The band have been a massive success in Japan and with the demand from a growing international fan base. BABYMETAL will play gigs in Europe this summer. Venues in London and Cologne sold out in one day and have since been moved to larger venues to facilitate demand.

The band are due to play the main stage at the famous UK Sonisphere Rock Festival on July 5, 2014. Allong side acts such as Iron Maiden, Metallica and Prodigy.
    0805e35ce289162f54849aec39331492.jpg

BABYMETALWorldTour.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know, I'm not really a fan (A Japanese metal band I'm not a fan of? There's a few, I assure you!) but I'd seriously consider going to see them live, just because their shows look amazing and fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thank the gods i googled their ages before i said what i was gonna say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

The new London venue is The Forum, changed from Electric Ballroom. There's still tickets available for that. Tempting!

scudzilla wrote: »
    Thank the gods i googled their ages before i said what i was gonna say :pac:
    They are beautiful girls but also very talented. Their record label defines the band's style as "kawaii metal" ("cute metal") It's ok for adults to think the girls are cute, because they are. But I'd advise posters against making suggestive comments as the girls are underage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

If they were playing here, I'd definitely go cause, as Links said, talk about fun looking :)

Don't think they're enough for me to plane/hostel get... I don't think they are anyway :o ... hmmm!

Everyone bug Dublin Metal Events to get them over here? ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing them. I kind of like the Idea of going to London to see a Japanese band.

1. Go here: https://www.facebook.com/dmepromotions

2. Write a message asking for them to bring Babymetal over to Ireland

3. Win! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've gone to London to see Boris and Mono.

Babymetal wouldn't be an attraction.

Melt Banana/Sigh on the other hand.

I prefer K-pop to J-pop anyway. J-pop has far, far too much lolita undertones going on.

• Advertisement

I'll be heading to see Girugamesh in London in June, far bigger draw for me than Babymetal

Honestly, I just think Babymetal are a novelty, and I wouldn't say no to seeing them live, I've had their album a while and I just don't listen to it. I know there's some extremely talents musicians involved, but it just comes across as by the numbers metal + by the numbers pop, and that's the novelty appeal right there.

And you know, I've listened to a fair bit of J-pop as well and honestly, there's far better J-pop than Babymetal :o

**** it I'm going. its a 30 euro ticket. Can't go wrong. Over and back to London and a concert for under 100 quid. Not bad

If you like them, go for it ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    If you like them, go for it ;)

I will. I like weird things and I have a thing for Japanese culture, So this is right up my street. I'll tell ye what it was like

I will. I like weird things and I have a thing for Japanese culture, So this is right up my street. I'll tell ye what it was like

Oh don't get me wrong, I've had people tell me I'm obsessed with Japan (A claim I can't exactly deny) and as far as live shows go, it looks like they'll put on a stormer of one and I'd actually love to see them live just for the show... It's just, I kinda gripe about them because I'm a huge fan of Japanese metal, and I think there is just so many awesome bands there with amazing talent, and it's Babymetal that people have taken notice of?

Also, I'm 95% sure that one of the guitarists in the Leda from Deluhi/Undivide, who is easily one of my favourite guitarists, if not my favourite ever, and I'm kinda disappointed because the music is all a bit on the bland side. The other guitarist is Marty Friedman's touring guitarist. Like, there's some serious talent there, that's for sure.

But honestly, they do have their moments and this is definitely one of their better tracks:

Links234 wrote: »
    And you know, I've listened to a fair bit of J-pop as well and honestly, there's far better J-pop than Babymetal :o

Dodgy, dodgy video but a great tune.

Morf wrote: »

I respect that people have different opinions, tastes in music, But Personally I think The combination of quality
    musicians and the vocals of Suzuka Nakamoto set BABYMETAL apart from anything I've heard out of Japan for a long time.

You may think they have gotten undue publicity but they have worked hard for this opportunity Bare in mind two of them are as young as 14.. The gig in HMV Forum will be easier for them. The crowd will be all fans, probably a sizable Japanese attendance. Sonisphere is the real test. If they go down well there and win over some tradition metal fans. They could really take off from there. Becoming a global act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Why is this Japenese version of Aqua on the same page as Guns, Metallica and Slayer.

Seriously Rock & Metal?

Maybe it's me, but someone needs to have a good long look at themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

+1

This isn't rock or metal. Its a cynical manufactured product. Next you'll be posting dance off videos.

I knew well the haters wouldn't be too far off. Metal fans are some of the biggest music snobs of any genre. If you don't like this band, that's fine, there are plenty of other threads to comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I knew well the haters wouldn't be too far off.
    .o/

=-=

Apart from dancing and singing, does Suzuka have any input to the lyrics? It seems the agency gets cute girls to perform in various groups.

From the looks of it, this is a "girl band"; made up of cute looking girls that sing songs for a particular audience that likes the image these girls represent. A female metal version of Boyzone, if you will.

the_syco wrote: »
    .o/

=-=

Apart from dancing and singing, does Suzuka have any input to the lyrics? It seems the agency gets cute girls to perform in various groups.

From the looks of it, this is a "girl band"; made up of cute looking girls that sing songs for a particular audience that likes the image these girls represent. A female metal version of Boyzone, if you will.

I wouldn't put it that way at all. They are the kind of group you either like or you don't like. Its a niche genre. Not everyone is going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I knew well the haters wouldn't be too far off.

I'm not a hater, my point is that this bubblegum nonsense doesn't belong in this forum.

Snob or no snob, this 'genre' has no valid place here.

Do the Japenese rock community have an understanding of the word 'integrity'?

I'm not a hater, my point is that this bubblegum nonsense doesn't belong in this forum.

Snob or no snob, this 'genre' has no valid place here.

Do the Japenese rock community have an understanding of the word 'integrity'?

You don't like it. We get it. So move on, You've stated your opinion, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine. So lets save an argument a leave it at that, Shall we?

the_syco wrote: »
    .o/

=-=

Look up AKB48 and the sister groups and see how they are managed/milked to see how cynical these groups are. It's just a metal version of that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not really my cup of tea but I love the fact that this band exists and that they're dividing opinion like this. They might get the more serious and insecure metal fans moaning about 'integrity' to have a long hard look at themselves. Music doesn't have any rules people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Look up AKB48 and the sister groups and see how they are managed/milked to see how cynical these groups are. It's just a metal version of that really.

and they've dropped the age further. Rock pageantry used to have a whole different meaning.

This is not rock though. Its pop.

Not really my cup of tea but I love the fact that this band exists and that they're dividing opinion like this. They might get the more serious and insecure metal fans moaning about 'integrity' to have a long hard look at themselves. Music doesn't have any rules people.

Love that comment, People who talk about things like "integrity" when you're talking about a sub-genre of music are what I call music snobs. Rock originated from the southern Jazz/Funk scene in the early 1950's If people had been concerned with the "integrity" of their music back then Rock wouldn't have developed into what it has become.

You know, one of the reasons I've loved this forum is that there's often great chat with people who have a real passion for the music they listen to, and a lot of the regulars here have pretty diverse tastes. People discuss all sorts of bands! I don't think many folks here share my love of Visual Kei, but I never got any crap for it. So it's such a pity that elitism has reared it's head, and it's just not cool.

Nothing really gets my goat more than someone posturing that someone else's tastes aren't 'metal' enough to be discussed alongside what they consider real metal should be. This kinda crap ruins forums and pushes people away, and I don't think anyone should have to think twice about posting about something they love incase someone who's appointed themselves arbitrator of what is and isn't metal comes along and gives out how it shouldn't be here. Does this divisive, exclusionary stuff help anyone?

I think there's plenty of reasons to dislike Babymetal and plenty of reasons to love them too, we can chat about these things and discuss and criticise, but don't be that guy who says "I don't like this, therefor it shouldn't be here."

Dublin Red Devil, fair play to you for posting this thread, and I hope you stick around for a long time! Come join us in the For Those About To Chat thread too ;)
    Dodgy, dodgy video but a great tune.

Damn, you're right on the dodgy aspect! But eh, not my thing at all. As far as J-pop goes, I find it's hard to top Utada Hikaru. I wish there was a higher quality version on youtube, because this is a downright gorgeous video, but she's got an amazing emotive voice and some absolutely fantastic songs:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mod hat on, I've kicked threads about bands with more rock credentials than this lot out of here. Quite where it goes I don't know so I'm going to leave it here for now as there's been some discussion here already. In saying that, I don't expect a complete lovefest for them and posters shouldn't get all offended if many of the 'regulars' don't like it or think it should be here.

Just remember, attack the post, not the poster.

Mod hat off, I don't get it at all, it's far removed from metal as far as I'm concerned. Nothing to do with insecurity or narrow mindness but I do know what metal is and this is not metal. Sounds like something Louis Walsh or Simon Cowell would put together when they spot a gap in the market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement