Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BABYMETAL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I appreciate what this band are doing but I could only get into this in the way of "ironic-lol-wtf". I enjoy other pop-metal bands such are Amaranthe (see below) who have an extremely mainstream sound, but this is a whole other level of absurdity for me. I couldn't stick this on and listen to it. I do think their live shows could be fun, though.

Sometimes these pop bands, despite their mainstream sound, do create catchier and more memorable songs than a lot of underground bands trying to be taken seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Reiketsu wrote: »
    So tempted to hit the London show....
    Why not go? Should be a great show. It will be an experience, something outside the box you won't soon forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Why not go? Should be a great show. It will be an experience, something outside the box you won't soon forget.

Flights are kind of expensive though because I have a limited time I can be away for :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Listened to a bit of this, and I really can't say I'd class them as metal. I'm also not a fan of it, give me Sigh any day of the week.
    Cynic were a very much loved band back in the early 90s, held in very high esteem alongside Death, Pestlience and Atheist but Cannibal Corpse fans, I have found, can be a different bunch entirely. Sort of like those knuckle-draggers you might see constantly yelling "Slaaaayyyeeerrr!!!" everytime they sniff a beer.
    Oh stop, you'll make me blush.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A lot of people getting very worked up over nothing. I don't like them (in fact I think they're terrible :pac:) and people are entitled to make their criticisms but some people seem to be taking it as a grave insult to metal.

Do the Japenese rock community have an understanding of the word 'integrity'?

No need for that. Saw these guys in fibbers a few weeks ago and absolutely blew my ears off :cool:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    I'd even suggest treating a topic like this as a springboard into wider discussion on Japanese music... Hey, someone who's interested in Babymetal probably won't be taken with Sigh or Intestine Baalism, but lets take the OP of this thread who says they're interested in Japanese culture? Well lets take a look at something a bit different then!

Dublin Red Devil!

Give The Wagakki Band a listen to, they blend rock with a lot of traditional Japanese instruments, so if you want some music with a bit more cultural touch, they're well worth a look and the singer is absolutely fantastic. ;)

And for more traditional metal fans, give Outrage a whirl, they've been putting out some seriously intense thrash metal, reminds me of Testament in their prime.

I appreciate the recommendation. Yeah that first group are alright, I could listen to more of there stuff. Outrage, First impressions, They're not really my scene. But honestly for me It's been years since I've embraced a band as quickly as I did with BABYMETAL and I listen to a sh1t load of music from all different genres. I'm not sure why I like them so much. They're unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The combination of the brilliant musicians and Suzuka just blows me away with her voice, something about it is so pure yet hauntingly beautiful at the same time The way she sings Akatsuki near brings a tear to my eye. Yui and Moa complete the package wouldn't be the same without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When I first heard about this band I was misinformed by someone. It was alluded that it was the kid girls who would be shredding and kicking out some blastbeats on instruments too, so I was pretty let down to see this. I hope people don't think it's unrealistic to also have teenage japanese kids dominate instruments for the purposes of metal, either!

These 3 kids aren't providing anything to the metal of the songs which isn't a bad thing per say, but nothing impresses me about a group of presumably male session musicians playing very polished metal, while 3 kids sing not-particularly-great pop style vocals over it.

I wouldn't listen to the 3 chicks from Hanson singing over Divine Heresy b-sides personally so, just because they're all dressed up like a mini boss fight from Devil May Cry, doesn't mean this should grab me either. And it doesn't I'm afraid.

Nothing makes me angry about it, in terms of "it's place in metal" fk that noise, it's just not for me, and it feels a bit fake, though.

Then again, I listen to Ghost, and a lot of what I said their doesn't really fit with some of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this is now a japanese rock/metal reccomendation thread

Actually I'd appreciated the conversation getting back to the subject of BABYMETAL. Far too many unrelated videos/material being posted.

If anybody else wants to create a separate Japanese music thread, Feel free.

BABYMETAL are what that are. You either like it or you don't. If you're only following this thread to spew negative comments, trying to make people feel badly for enjoying a certain type of music, you'd be better off elsewhere. Do something constructive instead of trying to bring others down

Personally one of my favourites performance of Ijime Dame Zettai at the Zepp in Tokyo. Similar size venue to HMV Forum. Should be a great show.

• Advertisement

Not a loaded question, but is most of that pre-recorded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Grayditch wrote: »

In that video yes. Babymetal have a 'skeleton' band for when the music is being mimed and a live band for the when music is actually being played live. You can see both of them here:

lXLCsQV.jpg

Here's a video with the live band:

Say what you like about Suzuka Nakamoto, But she is an amazing vocalist.

Agreed, especially in a live setting. I'd kinda like to see her go it alone though without the two younger girls, there's a seriously high level of musicianship in the live/studio band and with her fronting that band on her own it could really be something special. As it stands, I think Moametal and Yuimetal turn more people off the band than they bring to it.

Ah right. Kinda looks weird, someone playing guitar with gloves. Also the girls were lip synching. I guess I'm getting a better picture of what Babymetal is, as in a performance/experience, rather than an album band! Might swing by their set at Sonisphere if I head over, but I dunno about listening to their stuff without any visual accompaniment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BABYMETAL are what that are. You either like it or you don't. If you're only following this thread to spew negative comments, trying to make people feel badly for enjoying a certain type of music, you'd be better off elsewhere. Do something constructive instead of trying to bring others down

Dude, you posted on a public discussion forum, don't cry when people decide to give opinions that are different to your own. No one here is trying to make you feel bad ffs.

Suzuka (The lead) sings live. Yui and Moa are pre-recorded in this one. They mostly do small parts, chants to add to Suzuka, vocals. They add to the entertainment, bringing the Kawaii factor to BABTMETAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I appreciate what this band are doing but I could only get into this in the way of "ironic-lol-wtf". I enjoy other pop-metal bands such are Amaranthe (see below) who have an extremely mainstream sound, but this is a whole other level of absurdity for me. I couldn't stick this on and listen to it. I do think their live shows could be fun, though.

Sometimes these pop bands, despite their mainstream sound, do create catchier and more memorable songs than a lot of underground bands trying to be taken seriously.

You know, that's a really interesting comparison, giving a listen to that Amaranthe song it's all chorus and repeats a alot. If you were to strip away the guitars it would be nearly indistinguisable from your average euro dance song. But even then it's nothing new in Metal really. There's a lot of bands who've mixed poppy or dance/electronic elements into their music, with varying degrees of success, from the excellent Blood Stain Child (or even just look at the entire Neue Deutsche Harte scene) to some of the really awful stuff like Semargl...

By Odin's raven, if you think Babymetal are offensive, you will be unprepared for Semargl and their "Satanic Pop Metal" :eek: I won't even link a video they're that awful, I'd be afraid of people viewing it and their faces melting like in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They started off as a serious death/black metal band too, so they don't even have the excuse of being put together just to make that kind of crap.

In fact, do yourselves a favour and forget I even brought up Semargl. Pretend they don't exist.

Babymetal though, in the songs where it's just the lead vocalist singing, it's not much different to any other metal band with a woman singing at all. She does have a great voice and can really sing, it's where the other two come in and the more tweeny pop-trio vocals are used that I find the music sounds way more poppy. You take away the pop-trio parts, it's pretty straight up metal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

You can't just take away the pop parts. That's what makes it not metal to me, it's just a novelty band instead.

Also, my mind may be slightly broken trying to figure out "Satanic Pop Metal".

Suzuka (The lead) sings live. Yui and Moa are pre-recorded in this one. They mostly do small parts, chants to add to Suzuka, vocals. They add to the entertainment, bringing the Kawaii factor to BABTMETAL

I gotta say, any video I've seen so far, I've suspected the lead vocals to be lip synched, bar the odd shout. I'm no expert, but in each video, the camera doesn't focus on the singer for more than a second up close singing. A few head turns while still signing, without any trail off on the vocal. I dunno. That's open to argument.
    Babymetal though, in the songs where it's just the lead vocalist singing, it's not much different to any other metal band with a woman singing at all.

I'd have to disagree with that, citing Arch Enemy, and even Lacuna Coil, although Scabbia's vocals could be fit into other styles of music, but not Pop, really, probably too many minor chords. Possibly dance, or some sort of classical/operatic.

A lot of female vocals on metal tracks will still have quite raspy or aggressive elements. Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but I wouldn't draw many comparisons to too many female led metal bands, with the leas vocals in Babymetal.

I'd have to disagree with that, citing Arch Enemy, and even Lacuna Coil, although Scabbia's vocals could be fit into other styles of music, but not Pop, really, probably too many minor chords. Possibly dance, or some sort of classical/operatic.

A lot of female vocals on metal tracks will still have quite raspy or aggressive elements. Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but I wouldn't draw many comparisons to too many female led metal bands, with the leas vocals in Babymetal.

Well no, not comparing them to Arch Enemy obviously :pac: Completely different style of vocal. But I mean, compared to bands like Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes, Delain or any other number of those styles of bands, really the lead vocals in Babymetal aren't a stones throw away at all. And I'd disagree that Christina Scabbia's vocals couldn't fit into pop.
    Angron wrote: »

Don't search for Semargl on youtube! Just don't do it! I won't be responsible for what you find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd love to see the look on the faces of these hardcore, tough Iron Maiden and Slayer guys when a group of cute Japanese girls rock the main stage at Sonisphere.

Something like this I'd imagine

• Advertisement

You can't just take away the pop parts. That's what makes it not metal to me, it's just a novelty band instead.

Nothing satanic about BABYMETAL. The hand symbol they use is not devil horns, It a symbol for the Fox or Kitsune. In Japanese folklore they believe the fox is a mystical creature with supernatural powers. The Kitsune is a running theme in BABYMETAL and many other aspect of Japanese culture

Nothing satanic about BABYMETAL. The hand symbol they use is not devil horns, It a symbol for the Fox or Kitsune. In Japanese folklore they believe the fox is a mystical creature with supernatural powers. The Kitsune is a running theme in BABYMETAL and many other aspect of Japanese culture
    I wasn't talking about Babymetal. Satanic pop metal was mentioned in Links post about another band here:
    You know, that's a really interesting comparison, giving a listen to that Amaranthe song it's all chorus and repeats a alot. If you were to strip away the guitars it would be nearly indistinguisable from your average euro dance song. But even then it's nothing new in Metal really. There's a lot of bands who've mixed poppy or dance/electronic elements into their music, with varying degrees of success, from the excellent Blood Stain Child (or even just look at the entire Neue Deutsche Harte scene) to some of the really awful stuff like Semargl...

By Odin's raven, if you think Babymetal are offensive, you will be unprepared for Semargl and their "Satanic Pop Metal" :eek: I won't even link a video they're that awful, I'd be afraid of people viewing it and their faces melting like in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They started off as a serious death/black metal band too, so they don't even have the excuse of being put together just to make that kind of crap.

In fact, do yourselves a favour and forget I even brought up Semargl. Pretend they don't exist.

Babymetal though, in the songs where it's just the lead vocalist singing, it's not much different to any other metal band with a woman singing at all. She does have a great voice and can really sing, it's where the other two come in and the more tweeny pop-trio vocals are used that I find the music sounds way more poppy. You take away the pop-trio parts, it's pretty straight up metal.

Dude, you posted on a public discussion forum, don't cry when people decide to give opinions that are different to your own. No one here is trying to make you feel bad ffs.
    Then go post on some other threads, Why are you even still posting here, You have no interest in this band. It's gone beyond difference of opinion. Its active trolling at this stage. You and everyone who like your post are on my ignore list now. So your trolling has no effect other than boosting my views and reply count. You've helped keep BABYMETAL as the top thread in the Rock/Metal section since it was created. Cheers.:cool:

I wasn't talking about Babymetal. Satanic pop metal was mentioned in Links post about another band here:
    Have you seen the title of this thread.? Please post all non Babymetal related material on other threads, Thank you

Have you seen the title of this thread.? Please post all non Babymetal related material on other threads, Thank you

Haha. He was replying to a possible comparison/reference made by the guy who likes Babymetal.

Interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Then go post on some other threads, Why are you even still posting here, You have no interest in this band. It's gone beyond difference of opinion. Its active trolling at this stage. You and everyone who like your post are on my ignore list now. So your trolling has no effect other than boosting my views and reply count. You've helped keep BABYMETAL as the top thread in the Rock/Metal section since it was created. Cheers.:cool:
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're about the same age as the girls in babymetal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Think they're gonna go down as well as a fart in an astronaut suit at Sonisphere.

Looking at a few of their video's they all seem to be on their own stage, with full lights etc, how will they cope with a 2pm slot in a windy and wet field with no lights, thinking pretty badly

That's a good point. I'm definitely going to swing by.

This song is growing on me, Suzuka by herself like. Again amazing vocal. Like Akatsuki but darker. Beautiful

• Advertisement

God damnit, I've had "headbanger" stuck in my head all day today because of this thread :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement