Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Testing - looking for general advice

Options
  • 10-05-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

In my last job, the structure was not so good so we never went through any official routine for testing, so even though we tested and tested thoroughly it was disorganized and I possibly built up bad habits, most developers ended up coming up with their own routines.

I am now in a new position with a start up company and am taking responsibility for the technical processes and structures to be laid out for project completion.

Im wondering can anyone offer any advice or anything like recommended software, testing templates, recommended articles or sites online that are very up to date that could guide me in the right direction.

I have a plan in place already, but I would hate to feel that Im missing something that could make life a lot easier, or that Im not doing something that is standard, and standard for a reason.

Our sites are being developed using PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML, JS, jQuery.

Current plan is (obviously in alot more detail in my documentation),

Once the site design and development gets completed...

1. Have an excel sheet that covers the core pages, i.e home page, content page, ecommerce pages, products, checkout, any custom functional pages or specially designed pages. In each row there is a list of browsers, including device browsers, for many tablet and phone variations.

2. Use www.browerstack.com Live plan to go through and check off the visual look of all these pages without actually carrying out any functional processes. Check off each one as it gets completed. In the event of snags there will be a snag list excel sheet too detailing browser and snag. In the case of easy accessible browsers like IE10, Chrome, Opera and Firefox we will simply use real browsers instead of Browserstack.

3. All click-able items (links, sliders, javascript)are then tested in all major browsers and several mobile and device browsers. The level of coverage of browsers for this would be smaller due to time constraint.

4. In the event of content not provided by client, grammar and spelling is checked (obviously doesnt need to be checked more than once in terms of browsers)

5. Move onto any custom functionality and all eCommerce functionality, and begin tests on all major browsers. I dont intend on repeating the same test on the same amount of browsers as in point 1 as this would be nearly impossible in terms of time (however any advice here would be great).

6. Results get sent back to developer for snag list to get completed.

7. Snags alone are rechecked by tester (as oppose to the tester going through the whole process again).

8. Tester signs off once happy.

Thanks!

Edit: I have also just downloaded a trial of multi browser viewer to see how that compares to browserstack, at a first glance at some mobile browsers the emulation seems a little inaccurate.

Advertisement