Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year Work visa NYC

Options
  • 10-05-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

Currently finishing my (humanities) doctorate and working part-time with a publisher to tide me over until submission. Wanting to apply for the one-year work visa to the States via USIT. Would love to hear any similar experiences. I love New York, know the city well and would definitely be up for the challenge of setting up a new life there / or even just enjoying the year away.

I am making this jump alone and am wondering about the financial side to things. I should come out of the PhD with less than €1500 in "debt" (student overdraft) but not really in a position to start saving at the moment as finishing the dissertation. I would have enough to cover the USIT fees but that's about it really.

- How much money do people generally take with them when starting afresh in a new city?
    - Would a bank be amenable to me getting a personal loan to emigrate? (This seems unlikely?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

The 1-year visa is great, i did one in Chicago. From my own experiences and friends, go4less seem to be the best to go with. New York....i'd probably look at bringing €5k

• Registered Users Posts: 11 phdgirl

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I was thinking 5/6k myself. Thing is - how to raise this sum!!

I wonder would a bank be open to giving out a loan of this amount? "Earning potential" is there and I'd like to use the NYC opportunity as a springboard to try and establish myself more permanently there. Sounds like a big ask. Perhaps credit union would be a better option. It would def take me longer than a year to raise this amount and then the visa offer wouldn't be open to me. A catch 22!

Will check out go4less,thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

phdgirl wrote: »
    Hey! Thanks for the reply. I was thinking 5/6k myself. Thing is - how to raise this sum!!

I wonder would a bank be open to giving out a loan of this amount?

I had no trouble getting a bank loan for £3,000 back in 1990 when I came over to NY. I had no job lined up, but they were fine with that, and I didn't even have to start paying it back until I was ready.

I started a job six weeks after I got there and paid off the loan within ten months or so after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had no trouble getting a bank loan for £3,000 back in 1990 when I came over to NY. I had no job lined up, but they were fine with that, and I didn't even have to start paying it back until I was ready.

I started a job six weeks after I got there and paid off the loan within ten months or so after that.

That's 24 years ago! I doubt the banks would be open to loaning 5k to someone who is then about to leave the country these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Stheno wrote: »
    That's 24 years ago! I doubt the banks would be open to loaning 5k to someone who is then about to leave the country these days?

Why not? I was at the tail end of the mass migration of the '80s, so if they were having trouble with bad loans they would have been a lot stricter back then too. They knew I was going for good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

OP, i'd say you've a better chance of getting your overdraft extended to $5k than getting a traditional loan. Something to talk about with your bank. And if it was me, id just say i was going travelling for a couple of months or something along those lines. I'd say there's about a 0% chance of a bank giving someone with €1500 debt and no job another €5000 so that they can emigrate to America, unless you can get a guarantor for it.

Advertisement