Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I eat vegan, I buy vegan, I live vegan, what else can I do?

Options
  • 10-05-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I put this question to reddit but maybe some people here can help too. So right now I've been vegan for over a year, veggie for a few years before that. So right now I'm pretty strict with my choices, I try to buy vegan as much as possible, all food, makeup, products like cleaning products etc. I live vegan in other ways, not supporting animals for entertainment for instance. But what else can I do? I understand just being vegan is the biggest action you can take to support animals, people, the environment etc. But I'd like to do more if I can, what I do so far is pretty easy without affecting my life. Is anyone involved in volunteerism or activism or anything like that? Or any other ideas of ways to do more, anything at all, something small or big. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ok so without looking like I'm talking to myself..... :P

Some suggestions I got back through reddit:

Leafleting

-Leafleting is effective

-with others/local groups

Going Green/Environmentalism

-buying local
    -cutting back on waste
    -cutting out plastic as much as possible
    -Biking instead of driving

Volunteering

- at animal shelters/rescues

Homegrown

-garden (organic) to produce less chemical waste
    -windowfarming, dunno if there's anything like this in Europe/Ireland?

Entrepreneurship
    -to make better vegan products/services

Have Kids
    -some people think you should have kids so you're producing more little vegans, some people think you should not have kids to lessen your environmental impact. I think if you are vegan and you have kids you should raise them vegan and that's about it.

Engage in Discussion

-with people who are asking themselves the same question, https://www.facebook.com/groups/EffectiveAnimalActivism/

Donate to animal charities

-that have been proven to be effective in reducing animal suffering
    -Animal Charity Evaluators

Being a good role model

-by looking better, feeling better, being more energetic, making interesting food etc

Does anyone do any of those or have any thoughts? Of course add more ideas if you think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I try to be as green/enviromentalist as I can, try to be organic as possible too... It's hard NOT to be a part of this mess of a society in todays modern world though! The dream is, to have land when I'm older, and start a completely self-sufficient, organic, green commune :P I'd love to build my own house, have my own vegetable gardens, brew my own booze, source my own water and fuel! Have loads of animals to roam freely on the farm too :) Only go to town for essentials.

Until then though it's necessary for me to do what I can to lessen the damage we do to our mother Earth. I try to use as little animal products as possible, buy vegetables from the farmers market, use as little packaging as possible, use compost bins and recycling, spend the little extra money to buy "organic" everyday items such as soap and clothes (pretty hard with clothes though!) etc... I wish everyone would do the same, the Earth as a living entity would probably be that bit healthier if we all just did our part, even through the simplest things like saving water or cycling instead of using the bus or NOT PACKAGING EVERYTHING IN BLOODY PLASTIC! (Seriously have no idea why EVERYTHING we buy comes in layers of plastic)

I don't really espouse my green beliefs onto others though, I'd probably just come off as another raging crusty who thinks he knows whats best for the world! I remember I hitched a lift once by some bogger farmer and he called me an "eco-warrior" in a kind of belittling way. Which is a shame, really. I don't know why caring for the Earth stereotypically equates you to an airy fairy space cadet. We all live on this planet, we come from it, we are a part of it. It sustains us and gives us everything we need to live. What's wrong with wanting to maintain, respect and preserve it? :confused: Although to be honest Irish people are a lot more reciprocative of vegetarianism/veganism than other nationalities! We don't seem to give that much of a toss about the environment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I try to be as green/enviromentalist as I can, try to be organic as possible too... It's hard NOT to be a part of this mess of a society in todays modern world though! The dream is, to have land when I'm older, and start a completely self-sufficient, organic, green commune :P I'd love to build my own house, have my own vegetable gardens, brew my own booze, source my own water and fuel! Have loads of animals to roam freely on the farm too :) Only go to town for essentials.

Until then though it's necessary for me to do what I can to lessen the damage we do to our mother Earth. I try to use as little animal products as possible, buy vegetables from the farmers market, use as little packaging as possible, use compost bins and recycling, spend the little extra money to buy "organic" everyday items such as soap and clothes (pretty hard with clothes though!) etc... I wish everyone would do the same, the Earth as a living entity would probably be that bit healthier if we all just did our part, even through the simplest things like saving water or cycling instead of using the bus or NOT PACKAGING EVERYTHING IN BLOODY PLASTIC! (Seriously have no idea why EVERYTHING we buy comes in layers of plastic)

I don't really espouse my green beliefs onto others though, I'd probably just come off as another raging crusty who thinks he knows whats best for the world! I remember I hitched a lift once by some bogger farmer and he called me an "eco-warrior" in a kind of belittling way. Which is a shame, really. I don't know why caring for the Earth stereotypically equates you to an airy fairy space cadet. We all live on this planet, we come from it, we are a part of it. It sustains us and gives us everything we need to live. What's wrong with wanting to maintain, respect and preserve it? :confused: Although to be honest Irish people are a lot more reciprocative of vegetarianism/veganism than other nationalities! We don't seem to give that much of a toss about the environment though.

Ye I guess I never really tried to be green. I have started going to the market to get most stuff there. I've been careless with recycling etc. I get some fairtrade/organic things, want to get more. But I'm just thinking about it more recently. I do bike everywhere, coz I live in Amsterdam so that is what people do. I've never owned a car or learned to drive even because I just never had the need to. So I'm accidentally good that way :P But packaging has got ridiculous, I saw a pic online of peeled bananas in plastic :eek: Like is it too much trouble for people to now peel their own bananas?? I'm not in a position to do some things at the moment living in a city in an apartment. Some day!
    The whole eco-warrior thing is bull****, the fact that there are laws on 'eco-terrorism' :rolleyes: Ireland likes to betray this image of sustainability, but they have no idea what they're talking about

I came across this 'origin green' video recently...

Yet they don't connect not eating animals with sustainability.

Advertisement