Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro Route, Election Posters.

Options
  • 10-05-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

So all the parties have been requested to remove election posters from the Giro Route, out and about today, lots of posters around Lusk, especially Main St, Murray's Corner, not sure about the rest of the route.

We will be out tomorrow with our Camera's Smart Phones, etc.

Can anyone who sees a poster, take a photo, and post it here, if it's on the Giro route, maybe with some bikers or spectators, to give it context.

I have contacted all the parties, whose posters are on display in Lusk, requesting, politely, they be removed.

Let's see who responds to this reasonable request to remove the posters

P.s enjoy the Giro, having watched the first two days from Norther Ireland, it's a great spectacle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Skerries Community Association are asking locals to let them know of any posters still up along the route in the Skerries area. They can be messaged via their Facebook page.

They will then contact the candidates/parties to request removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

good few still up in portmarnock around the church and school this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So to be fair to O'Leary F,G he just replied to my request and has said his Posters in Lusk are down

Well done, him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Would be interested to know what happens to those who don't take them down, from the electorate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

They have left it a bit late to take them down. This should have been organized ages ago.

• Advertisement

The route has been known for months,they should not have gone up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spring loaded

JP Brown's sister was at the station in Skerries on Friday and she said he was taking down his posters on the route. Pity about Tom O'Leary & L Boylan spoiling the look of the Harbour Road in Skerries I thought they were not supposed to put them up on the Harbour Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Keith Redmond, FG, still has his posters along the Malahide section of the route. Shame.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

martinn123 wrote: »
    So to be fair to O'Leary F,G he just replied to my request and has said his Posters in Lusk are down

Well done, him.
    I've just seen his face 4 times in and around Skerries on the route - in one case a 2m x 1m poster right next to where I will be standing:o

These large posters seem to hardly have been touched (one other next to where I will be standing has been removed, ironically it had another picture of Tom O'Leary as well as the other FG candidates on it), and one other local candidate (an independent) seems to have them dotted all over the place

It's pretty clear to me that certain individuals (and certainly 1 or 2 parties - Sinn Fein being probably the worst "culprit" have made very little if any effort on this front - equally there is virtually no evidence of some others (such as FF). Unfortunately Lusk is still pretty bad for posters up throughout the village (or was 15 mins or so ago). They have though made the effort of "pinkifying" the roundabout on the Skerries road

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

I'm only reading this now but was along the route yesterday and know there were loads still up around Lusk because I was told in Lusk there is a poster with a dog running for election but I never found it with there being so many poster I just lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Beasty wrote: »
    I've just seen his face 4 times in and around Skerries on the route - in one case a 2m x 1m poster right next to where I will be standing:o

These large posters seem to hardly have been touched (one other next to where I will be standing has been removed, ironically it had another picture of Tom O'Leary as well as the other FG candidates on it), and one other local candidate (an independent) seems to have them dotted all over the place

It's pretty clear to me that certain individuals (and certainly 1 or 2 parties - Sinn Fein being probably the worst "culprit" have made very little if any effort on this front - equally there is virtually no evidence of some others (such as FF). Unfortunately Lusk is still pretty bad for posters up throughout the village (or was 15 mins or so ago). They have though made the effort of "pinkifying" the roundabout on the Skerries road

Maybe some of them want their posters to been seen on tv ! This is just personal greed as far as I'm concerned. The more bad publicity these people get over this the better, in hindsight there should have been a better media campaign to embarrass these people into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Why are they meant to take them down?

So the riders, spectators & tv viewers (approx 800 million of them) are not subjected to unsightly mugs of prospective politicians on their posters stuck on every pole & post along the entire route.

It looks ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It would have made more sense NOT to put them up in the first place then.
    It's not like the Giro was only decided last week.

Absolutely! It is a bit of a shocker because our politicians usually make good decisions & are renowned for their foresight. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They would also be proud of the area they represent and ensure it's portrayed in the best light, riiiiight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Only FG posters and one lone independent left at the bridge end stretch of Strand Rd in Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

SF and FG posters up on the old N1 at Blakes Cross. Poor form

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Few posters showing up on the live coverage in Lusk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Mostly I only noted sinn fein and some independent candidates on the live coverage

• Advertisement

I was at the Roundabout at Dublin Rd.

McNamara, FF, very prominent, also some Independents, and SF.

large Sign just beside the Health Centre, by Farrell, Lab.

I have some pics on my phone will post tomorrow.

Shame on them.

really enjoyed the Giro, great to see it pass thru Lusk,
    and we featured on the RTE news, due to the collisions at Skerries Rd Roundabout, hope no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Farrell and Boland still up in Lusk

Dublin Rd, Roundabout

Some Independents.

[URL="[IMG]http://omg.wthax.org/6EgZV3.jpg[/IMG]"]6EgZV3.jpg[/URL]

Mullan

7GcRY6.jpg

Boylan

[URL="[IMG]http://omg.wthax.org/5mjax3.jpg[/IMG]"]5mjax3.jpg[/URL]

Fitzpatrick

http://6JDRai.jpg

And the Best Positioned, ''Prize'' goes to McNamara.

[URL="[IMG]http://omg.wthax.org/7SGZY9.jpg[/IMG]"]7SGZY9.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

The "pinkifying" was to look like the spokes of a bike wheel and I think it looked very well on the tv, got a good bit when it showed the crash. Also showed some lovely drills of covered carrots;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

micraX wrote: »
    The "pinkifying" was to look like the spokes of a bike wheel and I think it looked very well on the tv, got a good bit when it showed the crash. Also showed some lovely drills of covered carrots;)
    Must have distracted the riders - they were probably admiring it and not looking where they were going:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Must have distracted the riders - they were probably admiring it and not looking where they were going:pac:

thats exactly what we where saying. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It would have made more sense NOT to put them up in the first place then.
    It's not like the Giro was only decided last week.

Very true. I'm glad most sane candidates took them down for the Giro - I would like to see a timelapse video of them all trying to put them back up (Prime spots on the lamp posts all up for grabs again).

Although one would question the effectiveness of them in the first place. What link is there between littering the area with posters and actually getting a single extra vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Although one would question the effectiveness of them in the first place. What link is there between littering the area with posters and actually getting a single extra vote?

+1

I see them as a waste of time and money. Oh and a huge annoyance/eyesore too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I can't see the reason we should take down posters so the foreigners don't see them.
    I can see a reason for banning them so those of us living here don't have to see them, but its a bit like the auld good room, only for visitors.

Sher the garish pink signs for the giro were as unsightly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

foreigners wouldn't understand countries have society that go on whether or not they are watching cycling on tv or not

Advertisement