Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter of complaint

Options
  • 10-05-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

I'd like some help in drafting a letter of complaint please.
    The issue at hand is that I went to a branch of a shop in my local town for an item of clothing, they didn't have the size I wanted but the shop assistant called their other branches and found it at another store about 50 miles away. He asked them to hold it for me, gave them my name and told them I would be there the following day.
    I arrived the following day to be told that the item had been sent back to headquarters as it had been ordered by somebody else online. They said there were no details on the item only my name, no mention that it would be collected the following day. I was beside the shop assistant when he told them this so I know they received the information.
    I'm absolutely raging and disgusted at their level of unprofessional service. But I am tired and worried I will make the letter too emotional sounding so I'd like a bit of help please!

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Keep your emotions out of the letter.
    Stick to the facts.
    State what happened, what you expected to happen and what you would like them to do to correct the situation.

Be clear and consise!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

I'd like some help in drafting a letter of complaint please.
    The issue at hand is that I went to a branch of a shop in my local town for an item of clothing, they didn't have the size I wanted but the shop assistant called their other branches and found it at another store about 50 miles away. He asked them to hold it for me, gave them my name and told them I would be there the following day.
    I arrived the following day to be told that the item had been sent back to headquarters as it had been ordered by somebody else online. They said there were no details on the item only my name, no mention that it would be collected the following day. I was beside the shop assistant when he told them this so I know they received the information.
    I'm absolutely raging and disgusted at their level of unprofessional service. But I am tired and worried I will make the letter too emotional sounding so I'd like a bit of help please!

Thank you!

You need to be clear why you are writing the letter.
    Are you complaining about what happened or are you using what happened to propose a solution to your current item-less status?
    Are you seeking compensation for a fruitless journey or are you hoping that the company will be imbued with goodwill to such an extent that they will provide the goods at a reduced price?
    The important thing to remember in advance of making contact with Head Office is that the approach taken by you will determine the speed and nature of a mutually happy ending.
    My advice- tell them what happened, praise the staff who went out of their way to help , recount your upset at being trumped by a combination of a cyber( as opposed to a physical) customer and a set aside system that didn't seem to work.
    Ask them how they propose to fulfil your order, how long will it take and which branch will it be delivered to.
    You may also wish to confirm the price of the item as you don't need any nasty surprises, if the company intend to discount or give acknowledgement of their part in your upset it will be clear by their response.
    Allow them the opportunity to be gracious and apologetic rather than feeling the need to be defensive.
    "This is what happened, how quickly can you fix it?" type of letter rather than an all guns blazing approach that sets a tone which can be difficult for some companies to deal with because they feel that a gun is being put to their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Thank you for the responses. I emailed head office, and received a prompt reply, an apology and a 20% discount so I was happy with that.

Advertisement