Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse riding games with boy with autism

Options
  • 10-05-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there.
    I work with a little boy with autism & I take him to 1:1 horse riding once a week.
    Unfortunately he is beginning to get frustrated while horse riding now. I think it's because he is a little bored of the same games & routine.
    We mixed it up today with him chasing me & vice versa, he enjoyed this because it was new.
    I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of games we could play with him to keep his motivation up?
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you done bending poles? What about "around the world?" Some kind of relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciarabrennan4

Have you done bending poles? What about "around the world?" Some kind of relay?

Hi... Could you please explain these games to me?
    We have done basketball / matching colour rings to same colour poles / putting cones on poles.
    On the wall of the indoor arena they hav different coloured smiley faces, I am going to buy the same coloured water guns so he has to match the colours & shoot water @ the faces (the horse is so placid so will be fine with this!!) just anything to keep him interested!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've worked with a woman with autism before too OP, though adults get less bored than children but general pony club games worked well and maybe vary the routine from hacks, to arena work, to lunge lessons. I find working on developing a strong relationship with the horse to be very beneficial on even everyday life so (if possible) get him to learn how to understand the horse and feel its movements, as well as ground work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I used to volunteer with Riding for the Disabled - they have a lot of games/activities on horseback for children to play - contact your local RDA group and see if they can make some suggestions - you could go along to a few RDA sessions too to watch how they work. Where are you based? The website is RDAI.ORG (also look at RDA.ORG.UK)

Is this boy on lead rein or riding himself?

You could contact the local pony club - they I am sure have tons of games you could use/copy/adapt? (Irishponyclub.ie)

Are you riding in a riding school? They might have various equipment you could borrow. You could put poles on the ground for him to 'jump' - building up to v v small jumps if he is interested. Could you take him for a little hack (on lead rein) around the riding school property?

Does he love ponies (or just the riding?) - would he enjoy going to watch the Pony Club minimus or some other Pony Club event - to see other children in action??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciarabrennan4

Hi there! Thanks for your reply!
    He is lead around an indoor arenas & outdoor sensory trail! He has been doin it 4 almost a year now & it's just getting a little boring for him! Il check out irishponyclub.ie, thanks!
    Will defo try out the small jumps too... I tink he would love that!!
    Thanks a lot!
    aonb wrote: »
    I used to volunteer with Riding for the Disabled - they have a lot of games/activities on horseback for children to play - contact your local RDA group and see if they can make some suggestions - you could go along to a few RDA sessions too to watch how they work. Where are you based? The website is RDAI.ORG (also look at RDA.ORG.UK)

Is this boy on lead rein or riding himself?

You could contact the local pony club - they I am sure have tons of games you could use/copy/adapt? (Irishponyclub.ie)

Are you riding in a riding school? They might have various equipment you could borrow. You could put poles on the ground for him to 'jump' - building up to v v small jumps if he is interested. Could you take him for a little hack (on lead rein) around the riding school property?

Does he love ponies (or just the riding?) - would he enjoy going to watch the Pony Club minimus or some other Pony Club event - to see other children in action??

• Advertisement
Advertisement