Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 plug adapter says "Total load must not exceed 13 amps"

Options
  • 10-05-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a surge protector/4 plug adapter. It says on it "Total load must not exceed 13 amps".

So does this mean that I can only plug in 4 plugs of (e.g. 3 + 3 + 3 + 5 = 14) amp plugs?

What would happen if I had 4 plugs each with 10 amp fuses?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I have a surge protector/4 plug adapter. It says on it "Total load must not exceed 13 amps".

So does this mean that I can only plug in 4 plugs of (e.g. 3 + 3 + 3 + 5 = 14) amp plugs?

Have a look at your wattage rating on each of the appliances. Through Ohms law you can have appliances with a combined power rating not exceeding circa 3100 Watts (power=current in amps x voltage). You could have four 750w appliances on that surge protector and not exceed the 13a current rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Hi.

They fuse in the plug top of the extension lead is 13 amps, if you plugged in say two heavy loads like electric heaters you would blow this fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Probably very little would happen. The fuse doesn't determine how much current an appliance will take, its the appliance itself.

If you have two bed side lamps each with 3A fuses in them, if you place a 20W bulb in one and a 60W bulb in the other, they both don't take 3A cause there's a 3A fuse in the plug.

The current that will be drawn will be down to the wattage of the appliance.

20W bulb will draw 20/220 A or 0.09A
    60W bulb will draw 60/220 A or 0.27A

so the 60W bulb draw's 3 times the current of the 20W bulb as we would expect :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Have a look at your wattage rating on each of the appliances. Through Ohms law you can have appliances with a combined power rating not exceeding circa 3100 Watts (power=current in amps x voltage). You could have four 750w appliances on that surge protector and not exceed the 13a current rating.

Hi Mycroft H.

I have a Desktop PC with a 450 Watt PSU. A 24' TFT monitor, PC speakers and a desk lamp (60W incandescent light bulb).

I take it that those are well within the amps allowed? I'd say most people don't know what amp fuse to put into plugs. For the items I've mentioned above - would all get by with 5 or 3 amp fuses each?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably very little would happen. The fuse doesn't determine how much current an appliance will take, its the appliance itself.

If you have two bed side lamps each with 3A fuses in them, if you place a 20W bulb in one and a 60W bulb in the other, they both don't take 3A cause there's a 3A fuse in the plug.

The current that will be drawn will be down to the wattage of the appliance.

20W bulb will draw 20/220 A or 0.9A
    60W bulb will draw 60/220 A or 0.27A

so the 60W bulb draw's 3 times the current of the 20W bulb as we would expect :-)

A decimal place out for the 20 watt bulb, just in case anyone is looking at that trying to work it out:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Mycroft H.

I have a Desktop PC with a 450 Watt PSU. A 24' TFT monitor, PC speakers and a desk lamp (60W incandescent light bulb).

I take it that those are well within the amps allowed? I'd say most people don't know what amp fuse to put into plugs. For the items I've mentioned above - would all get by with 5 or 3 amp fuses each?

The fuse is there to protect the cable not really the appliance. In the plug top feeding your PC there is probably a 13A fuse.

Yes all of the above loads would probably be less than 600W, or roughly 3A. In fact although the PC PSU is rated for 450W, that's its peak power, its probably using much closer to 200W in normal operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I suggest you simply plug in as many items provided (to be safe) the total is no more than 2 kW (2000 Watts).

No need to concern yourself about the fuse size of any individual item marked on the plug.

Every item you plug in will have a rating plate stating the Watts drawn. (it may say, for example 60 Watts or 60 W)

Provide you do not exceed 2000 Watts you will be safe to plug in. (pay particular attention of items that produce heat- such as an electric heater)

Advertisement