Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned Stewed Steak

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

rubadub wrote: »
    I was expecting comments like this. People seem to associate tinned stuff as being poor quality, as if it almost has to turn out bad, and could not possibly be good.

Yet they might have no issue with other sterilized foods, such as tins of beans, or jars of sauces. Maybe it is that you cannot see into the tin, I expect they would not baulk as much if they saw a glass jar of stew at a farmers market, which was sterilized in the exact same way.

Its gotten to the stage where people do not even want to feed dogs with dog food from tins, so they start sterilizing cat & dog food in pouches or plastic containers, which gives the appearance of "fresher" food to some people.

Or maybe people think it must be loaded with preservatives or something to last that long, when really its just sterilization you can do at home in a pressure cooker, no need for any perservatives at all. This guy ate a 50 year old tin of chicken
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/4693520.stm

Programme on the other night about the top 50 healthiest countries/diets. At the bottom were some islands in the pacific, who because there was no fresh food growing on the island, could mostly only eat tinned food. Blood sugar levels through the roof with diabetes rampant.
    (Incidentally, Ireland scored one higher than England, Wales and Scotland because Guinness is good for you!).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    But didnt you listen to rubadub?
    Well you obviously didn't listen to a word I said....:rolleyes: ZOOOOMMMMM......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Programme on the other night about the top 50 healthiest countries/diets. At the bottom were some islands in the pacific, who because there was no fresh food growing on the island, could mostly only eat tinned food. Blood sugar levels through the roof with diabetes rampant.
    (Incidentally, Ireland scored one higher than England, Wales and Scotland because Guinness is good for you!).

I saw a documentary about that island a few years ago, I think it's called Nauru. It's shocking - the vast majority of the population is obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

When you say they could only mostly eat tinned food, what exactly of the tinned foods were they eating? The is a vast difference between a tin of spinach and a tin of treacle pudding. I am guessing their diet wasn't tinned vegetables, fish and lean meat so not really the fault of the preserving method, but more about personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Animord wrote: »
    When you say they could only mostly eat tinned food, what exactly of the tinned foods were they eating? The is a vast difference between a tin of spinach and a tin of treacle pudding. I am guessing their diet wasn't tinned vegetables, fish and lean meat so not really the fault of the preserving method, but more about personal choice.

Tinned veg (including tinned sweetcorn) were very much frowned upon. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement