Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel cough

• 10-05-2014 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Brought my 9 year old rough colllie to the vet today and she diagnosed him with kennel cough. She gave him cortisone IV and said to bring him back tomorrow if no better.

Thing is, he's not coughing but really really panting. This hasn't eased at all today. I'm worried about his little heart!

Has anyone had experience with kennel cough?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What symptoms was he showing that prompted you to bring him to the vet?
    How long has he been showing symptoms?
    Poor fella, kc is a bloody nuisance, but the more humid weather of late, but with cool evenings and the heating perhaps on for an hour or two, has had a lot of people worried about their dogs panting a lot over the past few weeks... And boy do Rough Collies have a big coat that maybe keeps them a little too warm? I know my long-coated GSD is seeking out cool floors to lie on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

DBB wrote: »
    What symptoms was he showing that prompted you to bring him to the vet?
    How long has he been showing symptoms?
    Poor fella, kc is a bloody nuisance, but the more humid weather of late, but with cool evenings and the heating perhaps on for an hour or two, has had a lot of people worried about their dogs panting a lot over the past few weeks... And boy do Rough Collies have a big coat that maybe keeps them a little too warm? I know my long-coated GSD is seeking out cool floors to lie on here!

Hi DBB, thanks for the reply. The panting made me worried. I was out till late last night and when I came home I noticed the panting and again when I got up around 3. The poor thing was lying in a puddle of drool! Noticed it before I went out at 7 but blamed it in him having been outside. He also had gone to the toilet this morning in the house which he never does. Yeah he has a fair coat on him but is always inside so should be fairly used to it! He has to be with me, i.e. won't go to the cool utility room, so I've windows open here.

I'm just worried about the pressure on his lungs and heart. The vet said he had a temperature alright but I've no thermometer to check if that has gone down.

Ah, there's definitely something up with him alright, no harm at all getting him to the vet. But do be aware that all the dogs I'm hearing about who seem to be a bit heat-stressed at the min are all indoor dogs too!
    The steroids should kick in quickly, but it might help cool your fella down if you let him lie on a damp towel, and also sponge cool water down the front and insides of his front legs, ears, and groin. This should help to cool him down a bit.
    Hope he's ok!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've used licorice root boiled in water as a replacement for water to ease kennel cough in the past and it was remarkably effective

Stheno wrote: »
    I've used licorice root boiled in water as a replacement for water to ease kennel cough in the past and it was remarkably effective

Thanks S where would I get that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rasheed wrote: »
    Thanks S where would I get that?

Most health food stores have it.

Boil it up in water for about five minutes, and replace usual water with it.

I've also found diluting manuka honey in water very good for kc.

And using childrens cough mixture a teaspoon at a time on a slice of ham (or another treat) also works a charm.

Some honey in his water can also help, and you could also dab some Olbas Oil or Vick's VapoRub near his bed, or into a bowl of hot water beside his bed to help decongest him.
    If there's no improvement (and I confess to being a little concerned at the diagnosis in the absence of a cough), make sure to get your vet to follow it up further and get those lungs properly assessed, as well as his heart. I don't want to scare you here, but just have that in the back of your mind if there's no improvement soon :)

Some honey in his water can also help, and you could also dab some Olbas Oil or Vick's VapoRub near his bed, or into a bowl of hot water beside his bed to help decongest him.
    If there's no improvement (and I confess to being a little concerned at the diagnosis in the absence of a cough), make sure to get your vet to follow it up further and get those lungs properly assessed, as well as his heart. I don't want to scare you here, but just have that in the back of your mind if there's no improvement soon :)

Yeah I think that's why I'm extra worried. There's no cough what so ever, just panting. She said that he'd start coughing in a day or two, that kennel cough takes 3-4 days incubation. He doesn't sound wheezy or seem to be lacking in oxygen just heavy panting and drinking a lot. Between him, cows calving and calves not sucking, it could be a long night!

Ah jayney, these things never happen when it's convenient, do they?!
    One more thing just to be aware of, is lungworm. These little feckers are fairly new to Ireland and some vets haven't seen cases of it yet, but UCD have had a number of confirmed cases in the past few months. Your vet should rule these out too, if no improvement.

Still no improvement. Had him at the vet again, same practice different vet. He's still panting like mad. Vet said his heart is ok, have him more steroid injections and have to bring him back again. Poor pup is wreaked, can't get comfortable because the breathing gets worse when he lies down. It's so frustrating, I feel so useless, I can't help him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

are they sure its kc thank god I haven't seen much kc but anytime I have the rasping harsh cough is always a give away

Are you sure this is a lung problem? Whilst relentless panting is a sign of a problem with lungs or heart, it can also indicate pain elsewhere in the body.
    I'd think a chest x-ray is the next logical step though. Steroidal treatment via injection or tablet is not as effective for lung problems as direct delivery via an inhaler and spacer. If you need to get the latter, get your vet to prescribe a paediatric one via your pharmacist, as the dog-specific ones are outrageously expensive. But delivery of steroids and/or bronchodilators directly to the airway is far more effective, and the dog doesn't experience as many of the systemic side-effects of steroids.

Another thing you might do for him, which I used to do for my Westie who had severe lung problems, was to set up a fan in the room. It doesn't have to be pointing at the dog, but it does keep the air moving which will help to cool him down. The effects will be enhanced if you sponge cool water onto him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Not fun to have a sick pet! Hope he gets better soon. :)

jimf wrote: »
    are they sure its kc thank god I haven't seen much kc but anytime I have the rasping harsh cough is always a give away

The vet didn't mention KC at all today. There's no cough at all. Just really heavy panting and insatiable thirst. He's eating and doesn't 'look' sick as in his eyes don't look ill but you'd know he's uncomfortable.

He was never sick before thank god but for the first time in his life, he went to a bitch in heat on the neighbouring farm last week. The dogs wouldn't be that well looked after so he might have caught something there.

Are you sure this is a lung problem? Whilst relentless panting is a sign of a problem with lungs or heart, it can also indicate pain elsewhere in the body.
    I'd think a chest x-ray is the next logical step though. Steroidal treatment via injection or tablet is not as effective for lung problems as direct delivery via an inhaler and spacer. If you need to get the latter, get your vet to prescribe a paediatric one via your pharmacist, as the dog-specific ones are outrageously expensive. But delivery of steroids and/or bronchodilators directly to the airway is far more effective, and the dog doesn't experience as many of the systemic side-effects of steroids.

Another thing you might do for him, which I used to do for my Westie who had severe lung problems, was to set up a fan in the room. It doesn't have to be pointing at the dog, but it does keep the air moving which will help to cool him down. The effects will be enhanced if you sponge cool water onto him too.

I'm not sure it's his lungs at all DBB. The vet seems to think that it is, he said that they'll give him 2 more days of IV cortizone and then, if no improvement, look at doing an X-ray. Funny you should mention inhalers, I was nearly going to give him a nebuliser today, anything yu try and relieve his breathing.

It's shocking to hear now when he's lying especially, really laboured. No temperature today though thankfully.

Might try the fan if I can find one, good idea.

Not fun to have a sick pet! Hope he gets better soon. :)

Thanks Alan! Oh me too, it's heart breaking seeing him so uncomfortable and not being able to do anything.

Is he listless?

Reading back over the thread, I'm more than surprised that with the elevated temperature, he wasn't given antibiotics? A blood test would tell you if this is an infection.
    Otherwise, perhaps he hurt himself whilst with the bitch? Has either vet checked him over, including his genitals, for tenderness?
    Is your vet a small animal vet, or is this your farm vet practice?
    Tbh, I'd be getting pretty antsy at this stage. You need answers, which is going to mean a range of tests to rule possibilities in or out, assuming he's still not well in the morning.

Edited to add: I see now from your latest post that the temp is normal now.
    At his age, with breathing so laboured, I wouldn't wait two more days before deciding what to do next. You need a diagnosis, ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Theres not much to add to great advice from DBB. I always thought steroids worked pretty fast, (am open to correction though), so as whatever is wrong with your dog hasn't been even slightly improved by 2 steroid shots, Id be very concerned the treatment isn't relative to the condition. What DBB says there about pain is something to bear in mind too. Ive experienced my own dog with excessive relentless panting for almost a week and back pain was actually the cause. Any type of bad pain internal or external can cause extreme panting. I hope you get answers quickly now OP and I would be going back to the vet today if theres no improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Would love to know how your little doggy is doing OP?

anna080 wrote: »
    Would love to know how your little doggy is doing OP?

Sorry, meant to update last night! Much better! Back to the vet again yesterday, they have him on antibiotics for a week. Thinking chest infection now. He didn't bark for the last few days so I was never so glad to hear him barking as when I came home from work!

Thanks every one for your advice and concern, especially DBB, you were mighty help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Great news! Love to hear about recoveries! So worrying when there is panting/laboured breathing :(

Advertisement